• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

little ms foodie: Your caprese is gorgeous! Love the tomatoes.

Prawncrackers: Your back hock with vegies is the type of meal I haven't had in ages and would love to have soon. Looks delish -I love the contrast of colours :) Could I have the recipe please (I probably have been asking this question so many times already but I really can't help it because all the meals looks so good!)?

Oh wait, please only offer it to me if it's simple -I can't work with complicated recipes hehe.

Today, I ate out with my friend for tantanmen (a Japanese ramen spin off the original Chinese dan dan mian) and I'm sooo full it's not even funny. Afterwards, I went for Mexican churros with a dark chocolate dip and ended it with a big glass of mocha chocolate smoothie mmm...

I didn't cook this of course but I just wanted to share because it was truly delicious :)

The photo is slightly dodgy because I took it with my phone.

gallery_56306_5176_34706.jpg

Edited by Ce'nedra (log)

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

What did we cook? (Or perhaps what we didn't cook...)

Two "cool plates"..

The last of the best grape/cheery tomatoes with fresh mozz and basil.

gallery_51818_5098_290747.jpg

And same tomatoes with feta and olives...

gallery_51818_5098_411147.jpg

I'll miss summer.

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy

little ms foodie: The dripping of the cheese is really irresistable :wub:

I made 'grilled lemongrass Tiger prawns' -it's very simple but also very delicious :wub:

EDIT: I made these awhile back -have patience with me, I only just joined eG -I'm still in the process of posting my past meals :sad:

gallery_56306_5160_43452.jpg

gallery_56306_5160_85928.jpg

gallery_56306_5160_5405.jpg

gallery_56306_5160_56781.jpg

Edited by Ce'nedra (log)

From the Tex-Mex Border today, Pork with Sweet Red Peppers served with brown rice and watercress.  Its an Iberian dish with tones of North Africa and India with its cumin, lemon and garlic.

The wine, a young Rioja, and lemon cream for dessert. 

gallery_38003_2183_288517.jpg

Hearty appetite to all.

Jmahl

Jmahl, that looks delicious. Can you share the recipe for us drooling here?

You ask, you get - enjoy.

Porco com Pimentos Vermelhos Doces

Pork with Sweet Red Peppers, Lemon, Cumin and Cilantro

Adopted from a recipe by Joyce Goldstein former chef/owner

Square One Restaurant – San Francisco

Yield 4 - 6 servings

2 tablespoons cumin seeds

2 tablespoons minced garlic

1 tablespoon paprika

1 tablespoon kosher salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

2 pounds boneless pork (loin or shoulder) cut into 1-inch cubes ( I used pork chops).

¼ cup olive oil

4 red bell peppers, cut into ½ -inch stripes, seeds and veins, discarded

½ cup white wine

½ cup chicken or beef stock

12 paper-thin lemon slices cut into half rounds

½ cup chopped fresh cilantro

1. Toast the cumin seeds in a sauté pan over medium heat until aromatic. (Caution – do not over-brown – seeds turn bitter and kill the dish – I know I did it.) Recipe says grind with garlic, paprika, salt and pepper in a mortar until a paste forms. (I use a blender) Rub paste in the meat and refrigerate for at least four hours.

2. Heat some of the oil in a pan large enough to cook the entire dish; brown meat in batches, removing browned batches to a plate. Add some more oil and cook the peppers for two or three minutes until barely tender. Remove the peppers; deglaze the pan with the wine. Add the stock, meat and peppers back into the pan add the lemon slices bring and to a boil – quickly reduce heat and cook partially covered for 30 to 40 minutes until pork is very tender, add cilantro, stir and adjust seasonings (salt and black pepper).

3. Serve with mashed potatoes, steamed couscous or rice.

4. Chef Goldstein suggests serving with a good Rioja – I concur, it is a perfect wine match.

5. Dish keeps very well and is even more flavorful on subsequent days – if you plan to serve on another day do not add the cilantro until you plan to serve. Dish can be easily multiplied for large numbers of dinners.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

While I made dinner, the boys snacked on mangos and Mrs. C’s delicious guacamole. We also had amazing heirloom tomatoes (German Red?) from the farmer’s market. Mrs. C is not usually a big fan of tomatoes, but we ate those heirlooms like tangy candy.

Tonight’s dinner was creamy corn soup with roasted Poblano chiles, chicken, and spicy chorizo . . .

gallery_42956_2536_14024.jpg

. . . and rainbow trout with macadamias, Serrano chiles, and green beans, both from Mexican Everyday. The pan sauce with chiles, lime juice, and cilantro is one of my favorite earthly delights.

gallery_42956_2536_38310.jpg

Tonight was the spouse's turn. It was our 'thank you' meal for some friends.

We started with some fresh baja shrimp that they brought back with them last week (they have a house in Mexico).

gallery_41282_4708_32443.jpg

Then I got to try out an idea with prickly pear tuna. I've been playing with concepts over in the Prickly Pear topic. Tonight it was tuna wrapped in pancetta and stuffed with aged Irish cheddar. I wanted to use blue cheese, but didn't have any in the house. This was a really nice combo.

gallery_41282_4708_15479.jpg

Then my spouse got going. A light salad was followed by very lightly grilled meats served on a toy that our friends had made for this purpose. A brief history. At Alinea they serve a dish on a hot stone with a rosemary sprig sticking out. Interesting idea, but I wanted to have more possibilities with the aromatics. So I had our friend make "bricks" that had a hole in the center for the aromatic, and glazed on top for sizzling presentation. This is just a prototype that she'll keep working on. So, the first dish was salmon fillets with orange, and fennel orange aromatic.

gallery_41282_4708_8569.jpg

Then fillet mignon with a prickly pear tuna orange sauce.

gallery_41282_4708_10288.jpg

We were duly impressed.

Plated:

gallery_41282_4708_41644.jpg

For dessert we had a peach half poached in rooibos vanilla tea sweetened with agave nectar.

gallery_41282_4708_14336.jpg

A very simple but very satisfying stewed chicken, inspired by the current Cook-Off (it's way too plain to even pretend to be a poule au pot, so I decided to post the picture here instead):

gallery_27785_2788_369706.jpg

Cooking this made me feel all homey and nostalgic, as my mom used to make this dish frequently.

monavano did you have make some sort of stuffing for your porkie? It looks really delicious!

Thanks! Stuffing would make this the perfect fall meal, actually. I was using up things I'd bought from the farmers markets; prune plums for the sauce, butternut squash and not seen was white corn which had to get eaten.

Next time I definitely will do a savory stuffing to compliment the meal.

Small steaks that are far too well done (but my parents like it that way for some odd reason)  :unsure:

gallery_56306_5160_12952.jpg

gallery_56306_5160_16900.jpg

My family is the same way and I too just suck it up and turn the poor things into shoe leather. They love it, so that's all that matters.

For some reason, I'm the only one who's gone to the dark side and like my meat a bit bloody :cool:

Edited by monavano (log)

monavano was your porkie meal difficult to make? Because if it's simple, I'd like to have the recipe please :biggrin:

I really enjoy eating pork with various fruits -it just marries each other so well!

Yes, I'm part of the 'dark' side too then hahaha! I do like it a little bloody...medium rare is how I like it best :)

My parents are fairly conservative (dad being extreme actually) when it comes to eating habits so while they do enjoy food alot (I don't know anyone in my family that doesn't *ahem*), they take care as to exactly HOW the meal is cooked. They refuse to eat anything too 'rare'/bloody :sad:

monavano was your porkie meal difficult to make? Because if it's simple, I'd like to have the recipe please  :biggrin:

I really enjoy eating pork with various fruits -it just marries each other so well!

Yes, I'm part of the 'dark' side too then hahaha! I do like it a little bloody...medium rare is how I like it best :)

My parents are fairly conservative (dad being extreme actually) when it comes to eating habits so while they do enjoy food alot (I don't know anyone in my family that doesn't *ahem*), they take care as to exactly HOW the meal is cooked. They refuse to eat anything too 'rare'/bloody  :sad:

I made the plum sauce 2 days before actually, because I had to use up my prune plums lest they shrivel into an actual prunes! It was easy and I will post the recipe soon. The pork was supposed to be made on the grill but the flame adjustment was wildly out of control as the poor gas grill is dying a slow rusty death. I put the pork chops under the broiler for about 5 minutes each side, then left them in the oven at 425 degrees until they internally measured 145 degrees. Then rested them for 8 min.

The butternut squash was peeled, seeded and cubed. I put it in foil with s/p and a little butter. It was wrapped tight and sat on the top rack of the grill for 20 min or so. Same with the corn.