• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Ok the orange stuff is salmon, but WHAT in the world is the purple thing?

It looks like raw tuna to me, but then what do I know about fish? :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Mona, I love my knife, almost as much as my horses. :raz:

Judiu, you made me laugh out loud! Still giggleing.............the "purple thing" is tuna and bad lighting! My camera is still giving me a headache, even after the shop. Trust me, the colores were NOT that shocking, well, maybe the pickled daikon was.........

Ted, that trout looks amazing, the boys often bring trout home, I will have to look up that recipe.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Fish at last Benda, i know you've been hankering for seafood for some time! Looks good to me but how fresh did it taste. On-line fish sounds a little strange to me, though if needs must then in the same position i would undoubtedly do the same as you. So how was the on-line fish experience, would you buy again?

Prawn, Does your wife share????  Beautiful!

Mona, YUM!  I am having visions of pulling off that skin and devouring it while no-one is looking.

Shelby, great pics, I can almost taste that salsa.

Jamie, looks great.

Sashimi dinner, with various pickle and rice.  (I have learned to order on-line and make the things I crave that I can't get around here.)  The ray of sunshine through the clouds.

gallery_48503_4919_699319.jpg

Brenda, is that tuna and salmon? I looks just heavenly *droooooling*

Prawn, I ordered the fish from Catalina Offshore Products, While the shipping costs nearly floored me, (you know your an e-gulleter when....) The seafood was reasonabley priced. Very fresh, tho frozen, the ikura was sublime, the salmon was just amazing, very buttery/avacadoish, and the tuna was melt in your mouth delish. Just bizarre what one will do to satisfy a craving! :blink: I had also ordered uni on a previous occasion, and it was quite possibly the best I have ever had, and much less expensive than you would think, before shipping, that is. I will deffinately do it again, and again, and again......just not too often. $$$$$ :wink:

MiFi, Wow, fantastic looking meals, bright and beautiful.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Dinner last night was leftovers, but dessert was prune plum upside down cake.

gallery_24065_1826_1375655.jpg

Recipe and post here..

gorgeous!

our corn season is late here but it is in full swing now- 10 ears for $5!

last night was a green salad, herb and garlic bread and the best corn & bacon chowder!! served with a very pretty WA Chardonnay

1402130441_d487a82010.jpg

1402135341_d1e1818f7a.jpg

Dinner last night was leftovers, but dessert was prune plum upside down cake.

gallery_24065_1826_1375655.jpg

Recipe and post here..

gorgeous!

our corn season is late here but it is in full swing now- 10 ears for $5!

last night was a green salad, herb and garlic bread and the best corn & bacon chowder!! served with a very pretty WA Chardonnay

1402130441_d487a82010.jpg

1402135341_d1e1818f7a.jpg

Yesterday,I defrosted a container of cheddar corn chowder that I made in August. It held up well in the freezer. It's one of my all time favorite soups. I've been cutting the kernals off of summer corn and vacuum sealing them for winter. One very cold day this soup will remind me of summer!

Mmm, scallops, beautifully-cut sashimi, bacon-corn chowder, and a gorgeous upside-down cake. I would dearly love to try them all.

To prolong the waning days of summer, we grilled thick New York strip steaks after marinating them in light soy sauce. The boys split a steak; the grownups split a Thai grilled beef salad (click) with shallots, cilantro, mint, long-leaf coriander, roasted rice powder, and tomatoes from the garden. Cukes and jasmine rice on the side.

gallery_42956_2536_56001.jpg

Grilled Cheese (Boring...) but made on bakery italian boule bread, smeared with (over) ripe brie, sharp cheddar and fresh mozzarella, served with a side of chipotle sour cream for dipping...

gallery_51818_5098_428967.jpg

Excuse the picture flaws..

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy

My homemade Claypot Chicken Rice! One of my few successful meals  :raz:

Edit: Boy does it look bad compared to all the other dishes in this thread arrghh!

gallery_56306_5160_6435.jpg

Looks VERY comforting. YUm! :wub: What all did you have? chicken, lapcheung, carrots, scallions, medium grain or short grain rice?

Did you use stock to cook everything or just water?

I have lap gnap, lap yuk, lapcheung and was thinking of claypot rice myself. You just pushed me over the edge. :wink:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

After a long hiatus, I finally decided to take dinner pics again. Tonight's mains were fried chicken fillet sandwiches.

gallery_48583_5030_280827.jpg

Dessert was peach cobbler pie... (with peaches given by hubby's boss).

gallery_48583_5030_22958.jpg

Plated for my hubby (who had seconds)....

gallery_48583_5030_200260.jpg

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Edit: Boy does it look bad compared to all the other dishes in this thread arrghh!

Looks VERY comforting. YUm! :wub:  What all did you have? chicken, lapcheung, carrots, scallions, medium grain or short grain rice?

I have lap gnap, lap yuk, lapcheung and was thinking of claypot rice myself. You just pushed me over the edge. :wink:

I too, would love to have the recipe for this.

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Looks VERY comforting. YUm! :wub: What all did you have? chicken, lapcheung, carrots, scallions, medium grain or short grain rice?

I too, would love to have the recipe for this.

Why thank you both! It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside when people compliment your cooking :wub:

I basically just created the recipe on top of my head, with influences from my mum's cooking :raz: But whenever I have successful meals, I write it down (I'm kinda making a compilation of family meals) so here goes...

Oh and Dejah, I use jasmine rice as that's the kind we usually have at home ;)

Claypot Chicken Rice

Yield: 4 servings (actually I'd say probably more...)

Tip: To make shallot soy sauce oil, chop 3 shallots and stir in a heated pan with oil, soy sauce and sugar. (I recommend making quite alot of this!)

Ingredients:

2 ½ cups uncooked rice, washed

2 carrots (medium sized)

4 lap cheong (Chinese sausage)

2 salted duck eggs, cracked and minced into bits

water

Optional:

lettuce, shredded into long strips or

cucumbers, sliced

Chicken:

2 chicken breast halves, boned and skinned

1 tbsp sesame oil

5 tbsp (60ml) soy sauce

2½ tbsp sugar

2 cloves garlic, crushed

2 small red chilli, finely sliced

Directions:

1. Slice the chicken into bite sized pieces. Pound the garlic and chilli together to form a paste.

2. Marinade the chicken breast meat with the sesame oil, soy sauce, sugar and chilli-garlic paste. Put in fridge (for at least 30 minutes) while preparing the rest of the ingredients.

3. Place the 4 lap cheong in a pan with water (approximately ½ width of lap cheong) and cook until water is reduced, turning the sides. Slice the lap cheong into thin slices and chop the carrots into matchstick sizes.

4. Boil the rice with water in a covered claypot over gas stove on high heat until water is reduced and steam is released. Then lower heat to minimum and leave to cook for approximately 15 minutes.

5. Stir fry the marinated chicken with chopped carrots (add when chicken is almost cooked) in a wok. Reserve the marinade.

6. Add the chicken, lap cheong slices, carrot and reserved marinade over the rice. Add the salted egg bits on top and stir through. Cover the claypot and cook well.

7. Before serving, add a big dash of the shallot soy sauce oil through the rice and a final scatter of spring onions. Serve with a bed of shredded lettuce or sliced cucumbers (not necessary).

* I tend to leave the claypot on the dinner table and everyone can self serve and flavour their rice with as much or little of the shallot soy sauce oil as they like.

Enjoy! And tell me if you've tried it! *big grin*

And don't forget to make the shallot soy sauce oil because that's the secret to making this meal (I suggest making ALOT!) :smile:

EDIT: Just to confirm, we call 'scallions' shallots or green onion here in Australia lol. To be honest, I get confused between the 3 names myself and it can get frustrating sometimes when reading cookbooks!

EDIT: I officially uploaded this on RecipeGullet :smile: Here's the link: http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r2029.html

Edited by Ce'nedra (log)

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

Some recent meals:

Stir fried pork, snow peas w/XO Sauce

gallery_39170_2381_164096.jpg

Day-boat Sea Scallops, polenta, tomato-garlic confit

gallery_39170_2381_108862.jpg

Yellowfin Nicoise

gallery_39170_2381_191858.jpg

Heirloom Tomato Salad w/Grilled Chicken and Basil Sauce

gallery_39170_2381_227111.jpg

gallery_39170_2381_135326.jpg

These dishes look amazing. The colors just jump off the screen.

I haven't posted in a while for a couple of reasons, 1 I just got a fancy new camera, and the pics were too big to load on imagegullet, so I had to figure that out, and 2, we're doing Atkins (15 lbs since 7/7/07) , so you can only take so many pictures of steak. But last night, I did make my low carb version of Tyler Florence's Ultimate Meatballs, obviously without the spaghetti. They were good, so good, I had one for breakfast:

After baking:

gallery_45680_4699_417960.jpg

Plated up, does look lonely without the pasta. :unsure:

gallery_45680_4699_319062.jpg

I haven't posted in a while for a couple of reasons, 1 I just got a fancy new camera, and the pics were too big to load on imagegullet, so I had to figure that out, and 2, we're doing Atkins (15 lbs since 7/7/07) , so you can only take so many pictures of steak.  But last night, I did make my low carb version of Tyler Florence's Ultimate Meatballs, obviously without the spaghetti.  They were good, so good, I had one for breakfast:

After baking:

gallery_45680_4699_417960.jpg

Plated up, does look lonely without the pasta. :unsure:

gallery_45680_4699_319062.jpg

Look at that gooey cheese. Yum! :wub: