• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Quick dinner for family, everyone going in different directions -- egg salad sandwiches on fresh sougdough (baked by moi) with baby greens.

Night before last -- frittata with all sorts of stuff that needed to be used up along with salad of baby greens, pears and blue cheese (my family's favorite).

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Friday night:

pork shogayaki (ginger sauced) with white onions and snow peas

shiitake, enoki, eryngii mushrooms cooked tsukudani style (a quick 5 minute simmer with sake, soy, mirin and ginger shreds)

minced raw tuna with blanched, sliced okra in a wasbijoyu (wasabi and soy sauce)

Japanese rice

dessert:

pineapple "carpaccio" with mint tea syrup

this was from Fine Cooking January 2003 and was good but thought the mint was too strong and could have benefited from a more equal balance with the sugar and lime.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

What is no one cooking?

Last night I was in a rush so is scaled my menu down to:

ground beef and pork with garlic chives and enoki mushrooms mixed witha bulgoki type sauce then quickly heated in a fry pan, served with kochujang and bibb lettuce leaves for wrapping.

Japanese rice

Dessert:

I had wanted to make strawberry shortcakes, but had no desire after dinner to even whip a quick scone recipe, so i improvised and ended up with a cross with tiramisu.

I macerated some straberries with sugar, then lined lady fingers up in a casserole and poured the strawberries on top and placed in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. I then whipped up some cream with sugar and vanilla and spread it on top and topped with some cocoa (I wanted to shave some choclate but didn't have any in the house). We ate typical Yamaguchi style, sitting on the floor with 5 spoons! :biggrin:

Next time (and there will definitely be a next time!) I will use more strawberries!

No cooking recently.

Thursday I ordered out from Chola, which is an Indian restaurant located on East 58th Street.

I think that Chola is the next Diwan. Their tawa paneer gives the tandoori paneer at Diwan a run for its money. Diwan's lemon rice wins out over Chola's though, although it comes close. I like that Chola's version has peanuts in the mix.

Friday -- dinner at Diwan. We ordered the tasting menu, and once again, more food than the two of us could handle. The chai pot de creme was all right, not something I would order again, but it was ok for what it is. Note to Suvir: the food as usual, was outstanding, but please pass on to Hemant that tasting menu portions are just too big. I think I approached my limit just before the venison chops arrived.

Soba

chicken breast (skin on, bone in jinmyo :biggrin: )

served over butternut squash puree with wild mushrooms, topped with black trumpet mushrooms.

salad of watercress, red onion, radish.

trumpet mushrooms weren't washed enough. the "crunch" wasn't all that bad.

the squash puree was too loose. wanted it thicker. couldn't do much about it.

chicken was perfect. :wacko:

chicken breast (skin on, bone in jinmyo :biggrin: )

me/relieved

Recently:

Korean short-grain sticky rice with chicken livers and raw slivers of ginger and shallots in iceberg lettuce cups.

Roasted red and cubanelle peppers with citrus.

Slivers of sashimi thin seared extremely rare rolled around a bead of wasabi, rolled basil leaves.

Roasted baby cremini mushrooms with cubes of cotton tofu in a sesame chile sauce. Topped with dried shrimps and scallops sauce.

Huagu (flower mushroom) and spinach soup.

Sautéed baby bok choy with fermented tofu.

Sautéed Napa cabbage with roasted peanuts and chive pancakes.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Sunday had a long BBQ with friends at a local park that ended up encompassing both lunch and dinner!

My contributions:

Thai style chicken satay with peanut sauce

Asian style coleslaw, cabbage and carrots and scallions with a dressing of wasabi-ginger-sesame (both oil and black seeds)

edamame

Japanese sweet potatoes cooked to absolute perfection (even better than yaki-imo, the Japaense roasted potato)

--wrap a whole sweet potato in a damp newspaper sheet and then again in foil, place among the coals for a good hour or so, then remove wrapping and the th rock hard, blackened skin to reveal and an incredibly creamy, steaming yellow flesh. Salt and pepper not even needed. Simple perfection! :biggrin:

Temps have topped 40 here in Michigan, so, a grilling weekend.

Saturday:

Grilled chicken breast

Grilled pork ribs

Red potatoes, zucchini, onion, red/yellow peppers

Green beans (not grilled)

Sunday:

Grilled sirloin

Grilled shrimp (2 days out of the Gulf, courtesy of my always-thoughtful aunt)

Portabellos, cherry tomatoes and onion on the stovetop

Green beans (not grilled)

Edited by NeroW (log)

Noise is music. All else is food.

Thursday:

Chicken salad with Tarragon, homemade mayo, and pecans on wheat bread.

Friday:

Double cut pork chops marinated in lots of cracked pepper, evoo, and thyme. Seared and finished in the oven. topped with mustard cream sauce (cream,dijon, whole grain, reduced beef broth, shallots and garlic).

This was served with Alsatian cabbage cooked with bacon, bacon fat, apples and carraway.

Sunday:

Lebanese Kofte kebabs cooked on the grill. Accompanied by all the fixins:

-Hummus

-Tabboulli

-lebanese picklled cukes and turnips

-Pita bread

and a glass of Arak ....perfect

Dessert: bannana Foster with Vanilla ice cream.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Sunday:

-Hummus

-Tabboulli

-Pita bread

FM

Foodman that sounds great, I wish I had that to eat right now!

What's Arak?

Sunday:

-Hummus

-Tabboulli

-Pita bread

FM

Foodman that sounds great, I wish I had that to eat right now!

What's Arak?

Arak is a middle eastern alcoholic beverage, it is probably about 80-100 proof (40-50% alcohol depending on the maker). It is made from femented grapes and distilled three times at least and flavored with anise. Arak is clear in color (like water) and turns milky white when you add water to it (which is how it is normally served with a couple of ice cubes). I love it along side traditinal Lebanese food, especially with a variety of mezze, kibbe, and kebabs. If you are interested you can find it in good liquer stores in the states (however mine is not store bought, it is made from my grandfather's vinyard in Lebanon).

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Monday night:

tuna "ceviche", left the tuna to soak in a mix of orange a lemon juices for a couple hours, then removed form the juices and tossed with some nice EVOO, red onion slice, parsley and marjoram

couscous warm salad with roasted kabocha squash and blanched green beans dressed with a yogurt-honey-cumin-mint dressing ( From Donna Hay)

thinly sliced, toasted baguettes topped with a chunky hummus (heavy on the garlic), some finely chopped tomatoes and drizzled with EVOO

Broad noodles with a thin miso/ginger sauce and toasted sesame.

Soup of Asian leeks (cut into one inch lengths) and Chinese celery with grilled salmon filets atop (the heads and bones contributed to the stock).

Roasted asparagus with lemon slices.

Roasted meinjin (seitan, pulled gluten stuff), age (deep-fried) tofu, and pillow tofu with a smoky chile sauce (chipotle, hoisin, mushroom soy etc) in iceberg lettuce cups.

Green-lipped mussels in small cups with a pool of warm sake and garnished with Hawaiian red salt.

Small temaki (cone-shaped rolls) of toasted salmon skin filled with sushi rice and salmon roe.

White kimchee, daikon kimchee, white daikon kimchee, mustard green kimchee.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Grilled chicken breast sandwiches on decent storebought buns, with roasted red peppers, lettuce, and a cilantro-almond relish (almonds, chiles, garlic, cilantro, mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice, and salt). Pretty good, really, and not a lot of effort.

Jennie

Today is a dreary rainy day, a good day for warm, comfort food. Tonight's menu,

Red Wine Casserole., homemade crusty French Bread, tossed salad and Almond Crisp Cookies with chocolate glaze from the William Sonoma Cookie Book.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Wow Marlene digging the recipe linkage, majorly.

Last evening big old lamb/basil sausages, browned a bit and then a little red wine into the pan, lid clapped on, heat lowered, done. Accumulated pan liquid reduced, reduced reduced reduced. Sausages arranged on smashed red-skinned potatoes thoroughly informed by butter & chives. Reduction poured over all. Onion so-called confit to go with. Nice salad of butter lettuce dressed with pumpkin seed oil & white wine vinegar. LBB baguette. Inexpensive Jaboulet Cote du Rhone, surprisingly good.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

From Sunday afternoon, a beautiful spring day; cooked outside:

Fried Red Snapper and Gulf Shrimp

Potato Salad

Green Salad with lemon/garlic dressing

Fries

Deviled eggs

no dessert - too full

Stop Family Violence

Roasted Yukon gold potatoes with ancho, rosemary, and other seasonings.

Slow roasted plum tomatoes with chevré.

Lime sauerkraut with chopped Chinese celery.

Roasted white and red onion gratin with grilled lamb chops.

Frittata with asparagus, poblano, cubanelle, and red peppers.

I saved the cooking liquid for last week's corned beef:  water, beer, onions, carrots, celery, herbs and used it tonight as the broth for an asparagus risotto.  I think it was the best risotto I've even made.

Mixed greens with avocado and olives.

That's a really, really good idea. Damn! I wish I'd thought of that.

Roasted Yukon gold potatoes with ancho, rosemary, and other seasonings.

Slow roasted plum tomatoes with chevré.

Lime sauerkraut with chopped Chinese celery.

Roasted white and red onion gratin with grilled lamb chops.

Frittata with asparagus, poblano, cubanelle, and red peppers.

And Jinmyo, I need to stop reading your posts to this thread during lunch! Drool.

If you don't mind, could you elaborate a bit for me on the onion gratin?