• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quesadillas... I'd like some fresh ideas.

Shel_B

Well, the subject says it all. I'm in a quesadilla rut. Anyone have a good and unusual idea for making these treats? A special spice or herbs, maybe an unusual meat preparation ...

... Shel

I've never actually made one. What do you put in them? Do you use flour or corn tortillas? Do you make your own tortillas? Do you use a quesadilla making machine? I've seen them for sale and wondered if they were a useful purchase. Any photos please.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I generally use cheese - whatever's left over or hanging around in the refrigerator. I love Trader Joe's shredded pepper jack which is made with habanero peppers. Vegetables like onions, tomatoes, corn, are added, along, sometimes, with beans, once in a while fried potatoes, and often I'll add leftover chicken or pork. Nothing very exotic ... usually just what's hanging out in the fridge. I've used salsa, both home made and jarred, tried zucchini both sliced and diced.

I use both flour and corn tortillas, some regular store bought, sometimes locally hand made. Never used a machine ... that sort of defeats the purpose of making something quick and easy, and often spontaneous. Actually, I never heard of a quesadilla machine ... seems like a real waste of money, time, and space. But I guess some peoplelike gadgets and tools ...

I was thinking of squash, and Toots and I have been talking about gettng some goat and also some rabbit. She's eaten goat many times, but I've never tried it. Not tried bbq pork either in a quesadilla, either, but I love - and make - 'cue, so that's a good idea.

Thanks for some good ideas!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

So, it's basically a sandwich made with a tortilla, folded over a filling and fried on both sides? I think the quesadilla machine works somewhat like a cheese sandwich grill. You eat it with a fork and knife? I know, I know, I should know...but I have never had one or seen one. And my brain can encompass only so much at once. (Extreme old age :raz: )

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Well, the subject says it all. I'm in a quesadilla rut. Anyone have a good and unusual idea for making these treats? A special spice or herbs, maybe an unusual meat preparation ...

Wait: what is your go-to version now (just to establish some sort of frame of reference for what you aren't in the mood for doing more of)?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

A simple quesadilla with scallions, chilies and a little bit of cilantro can be really good served with homemade guacamole. I just use the "Mexican" cheese blend from Trader Joe's which is a mix of cheddar, Monterey Jack, asadero and queso blanco.

I also like to add roasted bell peppers or portobello mushrooms.

I like using up leftovers and the odd bits and pieces in my fridge for quesadillas. Leftover stew, pork chops, meatloaf, grilled veg, broccoli, eggs, odd & ends of cheese & deli meats - everything is fair game!

I like using up leftovers and the odd bits and pieces in my fridge for quesadillas. Leftover stew, pork chops, meatloaf, grilled veg, broccoli, eggs, odd & ends of cheese & deli meats - everything is fair game!

Aha! "Clean out the fridge" salad in a tortilla wrap! :wink:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I am a fan of squash blossom ones. A delicate style of flour tortilla, some stringy fresh white cheese, a handful of zucchini blossoms. Perked up to taste with salsas of your choice while eating. If you getting sick of zucchini this is a great way to use the blossoms and curb the harvest.

So I googled quesadilla and it suggests making desserts also. I must make some of the savory kinds.

I made sweet ones once, although there was no cheese involved so technically not a quesadilla. But a flour tortilla filled with marshmallows, sliced bananas and chocolate chips with some cinnamon. Sauteed in butter just till everything started to melt. Kind of good.

I made sweet ones once, although there was no cheese involved so technically not a quesadilla. But a flour tortilla filled with marshmallows, sliced bananas and chocolate chips with some cinnamon. Sauteed in butter just till everything started to melt. Kind of good.

First laugh of the day. Sounds like something a kid would like. Or the kid in an adult! :smile:

Could make one out of apples with cheddar cheese and then it would be technically a quesadilla I guess.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I've been reading this thread with interest. Have you considered looking at ideas that are used with gourmet pizzas? Most involve cheese with other ingredients, which sounds in some senses like the basis for a new quesadilla.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

@Sylvia Lovegren, Just add some cream cheese to the tortilla before filling and heating and BINGO, sweet and cheesy quesadillas!

@blue_dolphin, when I read your reply, for some reason I read dates instead of mushrooms :wacko: and thought "ooh, that might be good" even though dates are a food that I'm not fond of. BUT, if you said fresh figs, or sliced peaches or plums or other stone fruit, or even sliced pineapple... :blush: Love that sweet/salty thing!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"