• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Our/Your All-Country Meal!!?

Drunk post?

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

What ever JOE..

But Cochon 555 is doing an Artesinal Bologna. tasting. and the only allowed tasting for submitted for the " bologna " is DUKE meyo and Wonder bread..

So Blowe me with your thoughts

I thru Lays chips in their.. because I love an ALL American .. WONDER bread , .. Well bologna was Oscar Mayer ( SP I think n) .. and mMracle whip.. but Ive grown up.. to this !!

Oh yeh.. Joe.. ( good call ) :)

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

Lebanon bologna! Smokey and wonderful. Like summer sausage, but better. I love it pan fried and then put in a pumpernickel sandwich with cole slaw. Weaver's is the best, then Kunzler's.

Lebanon bologna! Smokey and wonderful. Like summer sausage, but better. I love it pan fried and then put in a pumpernickel sandwich with cole slaw. Weaver's is the best, then Kunzler's.

Yup! We used to get some really good homemade Lebanon bologna in a Mennonite store in Ronks.

Another variation for a favorite.. good ole country meal!!

Cold Home-made Meat loaf Sandwich w/ Dukes Meyo.. I might just finish this with Lays chips on the inside!! :)

I ground the Chuck Roast and my wife made the meat loaf :) for my birthday!!

Boar's head pickles

7792079458_5413f14c5b_h.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

Another variation for a favorite.. good ole country meal!!

Cold Home-made Meat loaf Sandwich w/ Dukes Meyo.. I might just finish this with Lays chips on the inside!! :)

I ground the Chuck Roast and my wife made the meat loaf :) for my birthday!!

Boar's head pickles

7792079458_5413f14c5b_h.jpg

Looks just about perfect, except that cold meatloaf sandwiches need ketchup on the mayo. The best possible beverage is a really thick chocolate milkshake. Yum. And sigh.

you dont break up the meatloaf because you can stuff a lot more in the sandwich that way. It's a controversial subject if several thin slices are superior to one thick one.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Like cdh above I have no clue what this thread about. However, I do have strong feelings about meatloaf sandwiches. Despite the fact that my meatloaf has a very slight amount of tomato paste mixed into it and a tomato based spicy glaze, I never ever put ketchup on meatloaf. When it is hot, I just like it with a little of the pan juice. When it is cold, in a sandwich or just sliced on a plate, no ketchup touches it: I prefer dijon mustard. And I don't see the need to break up a slice of meatloaf or to slice it thinly, which, at least with the meatloaf I make isn't easily done since it tends to be coarse rather than mousse-like. One thick slice for a sandwich works quite well.

More out of curiosity than anything else, this idea of adding potato chips to a sandwich is alien to me. How or where did that habit come about? I grew up in NY and no one ever did it that I remember.

Like cdh above I have no clue what this thread about. However, I do have strong feelings about meatloaf sandwiches. Despite the fact that my meatloaf has a very slight amount of tomato paste mixed into it and a tomato based spicy glaze, I never ever put ketchup on meatloaf. When it is hot, I just like it with a little of the pan juice. When it is cold, in a sandwich or just sliced on a plate, no ketchup touches it: I prefer dijon mustard. And I don't see the need to break up a slice of meatloaf or to slice it thinly, which, at least with the meatloaf I make isn't easily done since it tends to be coarse rather than mousse-like. One thick slice for a sandwich works quite well.

More out of curiosity than anything else, this idea of adding potato chips to a sandwich is alien to me. How or where did that habit come about? I grew up in NY and no one ever did it that I remember.

People (kids) did it in Illinois back in the 40s, so it's been around a long time.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

This thread is like Seinfeld. You dont know what it is about.

Having said that, I will second adding potato chips (Herr's Ripple Chips) to tuna salad sandwiches. They add a crunch that would otherwise be provided by the empty nutrition of lettuce. An upgrade.

Okay, the most country meal I can think of is plain store-bought white bread with sliced farm-grown tomato still warm from the sun and mayo. A close second is a basic cheese and pickle and mayo sandwich, also on plain white bread. I don't even know why these seem country, except that they are the kind of sandwiches I associate with bare feet and sandy summers on Long Island, not with the school year in NYC. Must be accompanied by Squirt grapefruit soda or cream soda.

Hmm, I can almost imagine potato chips in a tuna salad sandwich. Maybe next year.