• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Modernist Cuisine at Home" by Myhrvold and Bilet

I talked with Amazon.ca CSR earlier and I am getting a new one but it is a bit of a hassle. Basically here is the drill that the very nice rep recommended did:

- Refund the one I have and email me a label to return it

- Gave me a credit for the difference bewteen current price and price I paid (~$25)

- Order replacement and apply the credit to it AND check the gift option to ensure it comes in a box

- When I get the new one, probably next week, I'll use that box to ship them the damaged one

- When they get it, I'll get refunded my $$

Again, bit of a hassle...but I'll hold on and use my copy till I get the new one. Their customer service is always very courteous and nice.

OTOH, he kept insisting that the reason it was sent like that is because of the aforementioned "Shipped in manufacturers original packaging..." disclaimer. Anywho, hope this helps.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

That's a bit of a strange procedure. The Amazon.ca "return package" process seems to be the better option. It gives you a label to print out, and it doesn't charge you any extra $$. If you don't return the original, damaged copy within a month, then it gets charged to you as a second copy. Otherwise, it seems to be straightforward enough; go through the process, print the label, wait for the new copy, box up the old one, affix label, and ship it back at Amazon's cost.

That's a bit of a strange procedure. The Amazon.ca "return package" process seems to be the better option. It gives you a label to print out, and it doesn't charge you any extra $$. If you don't return the original, damaged copy within a month, then it gets charged to you as a second copy. Otherwise, it seems to be straightforward enough; go through the process, print the label, wait for the new copy, box up the old one, affix label, and ship it back at Amazon's cost.

True and I've done that before. I just wanted to make sure I do not get a second one shipped the same crappy way. Seemed like this is the best insurance.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Odd: Amazon.CA had an initial price of around 86 and change Canadian $$.

then it goes up, then it goes down etc.

the current price for our northern Friends reflects the deliverd price to those of us that live South of the Border

so that with in a single $$ (you chose which kind) they cost the same SoftheB.

Bummer to our Friends North of the Border. and my Xmas interest!

Here's a doozy: Just got home, my book got delivered from amazon.ca today. My dad found it on the porch, book halfway out of the box and no kitchen manual at all. I hope they won't hassle me about not having the kitchen manual when I try and return it. It must be sitting somewhere between Oregon and Hamilton, Canada feeling very lonely and misunderstood. Poor fella.

Here's a doozy: Just got home, my book got delivered from amazon.ca today. My dad found it on the porch, book halfway out of the box and no kitchen manual at all. I hope they won't hassle me about not having the kitchen manual when I try and return it. It must be sitting somewhere between Oregon and Hamilton, Canada feeling very lonely and misunderstood. Poor fella.

If they don't accept the return, I'm sure the kind folks at MC will help you out.

I received my new copy today. I have no idea why Canada Post is delivering today, the delivery man said it was "exceptional". Nice match for the book.

This one came in the MC@H cardboard box, which I'll now use to ship back the damaged copy. Pretty smooth process, and you just have to love the fast shipping from amazon.ca, at least for me; always 1-2 days from order to door.

Now I just have to start gearing up the kitchen. Up next: a pressure cooker, then a siphon. Lots of fun ahead, thanks to the MC crew!

Got my copy today, but Amazon.ca sent the book-pack to me without a box. They just slapped a UPS sticker onto the shrink wrap and sent it on through. Christ. Now I have to return it and I have to look for a box to ship it back in, to boot!

Your replacement copy will come in a box which you can use to return the original copy.

I received my new copy today. I have no idea why Canada Post is delivering today, the delivery man said it was "exceptional". Nice match for the book.

This one came in the MC@H cardboard box, which I'll now use to ship back the damaged copy. Pretty smooth process, and you just have to love the fast shipping from amazon.ca, at least for me; always 1-2 days from order to door.

Now I just have to start gearing up the kitchen. Up next: a pressure cooker, then a siphon. Lots of fun ahead, thanks to the MC crew!

Splice42 - I'm curious where in Canada you are located? My Amazon.ca stuff always comes UPS - seems really weird that Canada Post is delivering it - did they deliver your first copy?

Well, Interesting My copy arrived in Melbourne on Friday. DHL said it would come in the afternoon run. It didn't! then they said i could pick it up at the depot they'll have it at the desk waiting for me. (I could not wait). So I drove down there 3o minutes later was told no they had given it to Australia Post.

So now i wait for tomorrow to get it what a let down. I am especially anxious now to see how Amazon.ca have packed it? Cross my fingers it's not damaged A trip from Canada to Australia I'm guessing leaves a fair oppurtunity to get damaged if not packed correctly. And then Auspost have it. We'll wait and see.

Bring on tomorrow and to see that the cooking with Forum is already 5 pages long I don't even have mine and i ordered it 6 months ago. This is too much like christmas and i have to wait for the goodies.

Just got mine and it's totally screwed.

looks like someone has put it through a washing machine.

Amazon.co.uk will give me a refund but not a new book, because they are out of stock.

Waste of time & money, what a needless disappointment.

Edited by adey73 (log)

I remember the delicacy of slowly unpackaging the precious cargo of the orginal MC,

And eventually thinking that the numerous boxes was over kill, even with the acrylic case.

Now all I've got is crumpled origami.

Just got mine and it's totally screwed.

looks like someone has put it through a washing machine.

Amazon.co.uk will give me a refund but not a new book, because they are out of stock.

Waste of time & money, what a needless disappointment.

I also contacted the amazon.co.uk support service. They indeed confirmed that they currently cannot send a new copy because the item is under investigation. However, they said I could keep my current copy until the issue is solved / the books are back in stock and then return my current book to get a new copy. I would contact the amazon helpdesk again to get such confirmation (all chat conversations are logged). It is indeed unfortunate that the books were send out this way, but the after sales service of amazon is also amazing, so I would not worry too much. In the end you will receive a new copy and in the meantime you can enjoy your current one.

Edited by Wapi (log)

Well what do you know, it's arrived and yes it was damged. I cannot believe that Amazon Ca thought it would be ok to send this book like that from Canada to Australia.

I have photos here. https://picasaweb.google.com/100523471892326042649/MCAHDHLDelivery?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Put me down for the autographed bookplate. I'm shattered i was so excited to get this. I've let amazon .ca know via email and await there response.

Vol.

Another one in Melbourne, Australia - received it today from amazon.ca, no cardboard box, just plastic wrap, which was coming apart - certainly didn't need any tools to open it up, unlike MC!

Very disappointing - how on earth does anyone think its a good idea to send a huge $100 book half way around the world in flimsy plastic. Some damage to the spine of the book, as well as to the corners of the slip case. Stupid, stupid company.

Time to sign into amazon.ca and complain, eh?

i very much wanted to send this book as a gift, but well Im not paying the 'current' price at the Amazonions as I payed 100 bucks.

noticed this at Amazon.US:

LakeUnion.jpg

Lake Union Books. They had 6 - 9 copies. delivered 104 USD

it has the Amazon guarantee and its from WA so .... did some fall off the truck?

will let you know ...

Splice42 - I'm curious where in Canada you are located? My Amazon.ca stuff always comes UPS - seems really weird that Canada Post is delivering it - did they deliver your first copy?

I'm not sure if it's a provincial thing, but I think I've always received my amazon.ca orders through Canada Post. I'm in Quebec, right next to Ottawa, Ontario. I do tend to select super-saver shipping on most of my orders, maybe that plays a part as well.

I'm not sure if it's a provincial thing, but I think I've always received my amazon.ca orders through Canada Post. I'm in Quebec, right next to Ottawa, Ontario. I do tend to select super-saver shipping on most of my orders, maybe that plays a part as well.

Mine was supersaver - but maybe it was the 3 copies! Hull I assume?