• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cutting a Frozen Turkey

dcarch

When we left my dad and his wife alone for Thanksgiving I was somewhat surprised when they insisted on turkey for themselves. We had postponed the holiday for a week due to travels. The 89 year old former butcher used a hand saw and sliced a frozen 8 pounder in half so they could have a small bit of turkey for the actual day.

Hurray for power tools!

Fantastic presentation on the half-turkey there, dcarch.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Every year around Thanksgiving, when turkeys are the loss-leader at the grocery stores, I buy at least two extra. Because they are frozen, I ask the butcher in the meat department to saw them in half with their big saws. Which they do. And then I bring the halves home and wrap them separately and store them in the freezer.

Come summer, we'll smoke a half out on the BBQ grill. I've got a congealed apple/cranberry salad recipe that I serve with the smoked turkey. It's an absolutely wonderful, and extremely cheap meal.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Yeah, I was going to say it would seem much simpler just to get the butcher at the store to cut it on their bandsaw. Also, how do you wrap & store half a turkey in your freezer?

I just wrap the halves up separately, with foil. I don't do anything special. They do look kinda weird because that saw cuts right through the frozen giblets, but those halves sure are handy to have later in the year. As I said, we usually smoke them outside, but sometimes I make some dressing/stuffing, put it in a pile on a shallow baking pan, put my turkey half on top and roast it. I'm more willing to experiment with different sorts of stuffings when I know that my entire Thanksgiving dinner doesn't depend on it.

Not only are turkeys usually cheap at Thanksgiving, they're often even given away at local markets if you spend a certain amount of money. So having a turkey half later in the year couldn't get any cheaper. And then I use the carcass to make soup. Thrifty to the max.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I decided to cut the turkey myself because:

I wasn't going home right away after shopping.

I have done this before, it take less time then to wait for the butcher in the supermarket.

I intend to sous vide the turkey, just want to be sure that there would be no other meat bits got into the turkey.

I may cut the turkey into even smaller pieces. 1/2 of a turkey is still too big for one meal.

dcarch

I did a similar think around thanksgiving in a previous century. it saved space, allowed me to get more Turks etc.

this year I SV'd the lot. boned, portioned, baged. SV'd, iced and back in a very cold frig then the freezer. eventually i saved all the meat off the carcass for gravy later.

I have a freezer thats more like a closet ( ie upright, not chest ) and it has 5 shelves. 3 22 lbs turkeys fit on one shelve.

4 SV'd turkeys in bags +1 22lb turk now fit in that same space.

fortunately I like turkey! BTW my turks look to be the same brand as yours !

Edited by rotuts (log)

I decided to cut the turkey myself because:

I wasn't going home right away after shopping.

I have done this before, it take less time then to wait for the butcher in the supermarket.

I intend to sous vide the turkey, just want to be sure that there would be no other meat bits got into the turkey.

I may cut the turkey into even smaller pieces. 1/2 of a turkey is still too big for one meal.

dcarch

I think that's great. I probably would have done the same if I thought it was feasible for me. But it isn't. So I ask the butcher to saw the two turkeys in half while I finish my shopping.

I'm sure it's better for you to do it at home if that's an option. Sounds like it might even be kinda fun.

I'm a big fan of halving a turkey, because I love to have turkey quite often. LOL.

For Thanksgiving I typically traditionally roast one half and cure and smoke the other.

I think it's clever to split them while still froze,

I had to laugh though, somehow it brought back memories of years ago when our neighbor got drunk and sawed a frozen deer in half with a chainsaw!!! LOL

BTW, Mr. dcarch I've taken your tomato trellis method and ran with it, I love it!!!!

:wink:

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

"---BTW, Mr. dcarch I've taken your tomato trellis method and ran with it, I love it!!!!"

It must have been 6 or 7 years with my "Invisible" system in use, I have not had to buy anything for replacement yet. Looks like it will be good for another 10 years, even we have had many wind and snow storms.

A few neighbors came by, because from across the street, you can't see the supports at all, just red tomatoes.

dcarch