• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yogurt Goes With...

weinoo

A slight argument with my wife (Significant Eater) at yesterday's breakfast. We had a pretty standard breakfast including an egg sandwich (on a toasted bialy) and some cut-up fruit, including cantaloupe and apple. Which I topped with yogurt. That seemed to be the starting point.

She claimed yogurt doesn't go with apples. I said it does. Leading to this topic.

So, what does yogurt go with? And what should it absolutely not be paired with?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Not to forget that different strains(?) /kinds of yogurt taste quite different from each other. And I am not including those fruit-filled, sugar-laden things.

Some yogurts taste better with fruits than do others. Etc.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I had yoghurt (a delicious Balkan-style available here that is thick and creamy, without the chalky taste that some of Greek yoghurts have) with apples and walnuts this morning, a favorite breakfast. In the summer, I substitute berries for the apples. Before lo-carb I used to mix in granola instead of the walnuts.

Also love yoghurt as a sauce for meats and rice in the Turkish/northern Greek way. Sometimes the yoghurt is mixed with dill or mint and/or garlic, sometimes it's plain and simply used as a creamy acid to cut the richness of lamb or balance the spiciness in a chicken dish.

If we are literally just looking for things that I would NOT eat with yogurt, here are a few (and I obviously had to stretch to make this list):

Cheetos

Ice Cream (no point?)

Lobster/Shrimp/Crabs

Oysters/Clams

Peanut Butter

Beer

Man, yogurt really can go with just about anything....which is why I eat some just about every day.

If we are literally just looking for things that I would NOT eat with yogurt, here are a few (and I obviously had to stretch to make this list):

Cheetos

Ice Cream (no point?)

Lobster/Shrimp/Crabs

Oysters/Clams

Peanut Butter

Beer

Man, yogurt really can go with just about anything....which is why I eat some just about every day.

Ha ha, great suggestions! I can't speak for the seafood (although I think prawns - shrimps to americans - are combined with yoghurt in some bengali dishes) or alcohol as I don't consume those things. Had to look up cheetos and they look weird and I'm not sure they should be eaten with anything!

Ice cream seems pointless. But peanut butter? I would think that would work. There are a few Maharasthrian salad-type things were vegetables (most often cucumber, carrot, tomato, etc.) are combined with chillies, fresh coriander, salt, a tiny bit of sugar and crushed or powdered peanuts. Some versions of this contain yoghurt, though less than for north indian raita. It's a great combination. Since peanut butter very often has salt and sugar, I guess I thought it might go well too.

As for melons? Well, I wouldn't go for that either! But some of that might be a mental reaction as I was always repeatedly told that melons digest badly in combination with other foods and should be eaten alone. And supposedly they're especially tricky to digest with yoghurt! Since I have indeed found melons to be a little tricky on the tummy when eaten with other foods, I've always tried to avoid it.

Had to look up cheetos and they look weird and I'm not sure they should be eaten with anything!

Cheetos do indeed look very weird and therefore should be consumed with beer. But not yogurt. (Would that be sort of like eating fish fingers and custard?)

I, too, think that yogurt could work with peanut butter, especially the "natural" or homemade variety. I make a spicy groundnut stew that I suspect wouldn't be harmed, and might be enhanced, by the addition of a little yogurt.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

In my opinion this is all up to personal preference.

Eat what you like in whatever combination that pleases you.

Apples are excellent with yogurt, raw or cooked.

Melons are lovely with yogurt, especially the very sweet, ripe honeydew, with a splash of lime juice.

An open-face PB&J "sandwich" topped with thick yogurt is very nice.

I don't eat shrimp because I'm allergic but I know someone who does a party dish with spicy shrimp and hot peppers on skewers, served with yogurt for dipping.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I think melon is my favorite fruit to eat with yogurt (the yogurt really brings out the sweetness in the melon), followed by berries. Apples are on the border for me. I would eat apples and yogurt, but only as a last resort if it was the only fruit in the house (I have yogurt and fruit for breakfast almost every morning). Fruits I wouldn't ever eat with yogurt: bananas and any citrus.

I haven't had peanut butter and yogurt, but it doesn't seem unappealing to me. I can't think of any vegetable that doesn't pair nicely with yogurt. It really is hard to think of things, other than citrus fruit, that I really wouldn't eat with yogurt.

Maybe I should have posed the question like this:

What will you eat yogurt with?

And, what would you never eat with yogurt?

I like blueberries with yogurt, even more so if vanilla is involved. I can't think of anything else that really adds to the yogurt experience; I sometimes get fruit yogurt, then sort of wonder why. Don't regret it, but there's no love there, either. Sliced fresh fruit seems somehow too wet to mesh nicely with yogurt. But if you like it, why not (that goes for foie gras, too)?

On one occasion, I did have an (initially) inexplicable, pressing craving for strawberry yogurt and artichoke hearts (not as a mixture, however). And no, I didn't go there.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

From the responses here I would conclude that the variety of accompaniments you like with yogurt is directly proportional to how much you actually like yogurt. I'm picky about yogurt. I hate all those supermarket brands that have fruit or flavor mixed in. I do like Fage Greek yogurt--the 2% tastes like whole milk to me--and I do like Strauss plain whole milk yogurt. Trader Joe's European style yogurt is a pretty good sub for the local Strauss organic. Generally I don't like fat-free yogurt. Sometimes I like a lace of honey in plain yogurt.

My latest discovery is yogurt with lekvah. Don't know what lekvah is? It is the thick prune paste that goes into a prune danish and other baked goodies. It's easy to make, flavored with a little lemon zest, cinnamon, etc.

I like yogurt with berries and especially with cold grapes (adding a sprinkle of brown sugar to bowl w/grapes: yummy!) I like it mixed with cucumber as in a raita to go with Indian food. I could see it on the plate with chopped apple with Indian food, but apple would be low on my list of fruits to have mixed into yogurt. I don't like it with granola or any cereal. I don't care for it in smoothies. I don't like it with any of the toppings you might find at a frozen yogurt joint. I don't want it within spitting distance of my oatmeal or waffles.

Cheetos and yogurt is possibly one of the worst ideas I have ever heard, so thanks for that. Cheetos and beer is fine, cheetos and a Bloody Mary is spectacular. Peanut butter and yogurt sounds awful to me.

Katie, I am super picky about yogurt (also cream cheese and etc.,) which is why I make my own. I haven't bought yogurt in a supermarket for years, except when I had a coupon for a free one to try.

Not impressed.

I did buy some bulk yogurt at the middle eastern store to try it but I like my homemade stuff much better.

I make yogurt once or twice a week unless I am doing a lot of baking and using it in the recipes.

Perhaps raw apples might not be as tasty for most people but I defy anyone to tell me that a warm baked apple, made with very little sweetener and a dash of cinnamon, is not delicious with a generous dollop of yogurt.

I make a deep-dish apple cobbler that I serve warm, with dishes of yogurt on the side and everyone likes it, even people who don't ordinarily eat yogurt.

Of course that is my homemade yogurt, made with half & half, thick and rich.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Half a small cantaloupe or other similar melon halved, cleaned out, filled with yogurt, and topped with granola. :cool:

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Cheetos

Ice Cream (no point?)

Lobster/Shrimp/Crabs

Oysters/Clams

Peanut Butter

Beer

That's a good list. I too love yoghurt - but re shrimp, I recently made a lovely tandoori prawn dish that involved marinated the prawns in yoghurt and spices and salt etc, and then grilling them. The yoghurt dissipates down to a slightly tangy/sweet glaze. So it's not entirely unthinkable with shrimp.

And ice cream MADE from yoghurt is delicious (something along the lines of frozen mango lassi).

All this talk of yoghurt is making me crave..bacon. :wink:

Yogurt with fruit crumble, pie, strudel, tart or anything else of the fruit+pastry variety is tasty, especially vanilla yogurt.

I won't eat yogurt + watermelon or citrus fruit, although other folk do and it's perfectly normal.

A small dollop of plain yogurt on smoked oysters eaten on a cracker sounds weird, but is actually delicious. Like creme fraiche + smoked salmon.

Yogurt + sushi sounds vile. I have not tried it, nor do I intend to. Cheetos + yogurt...nevermind the taste, but the soggy squishy-ness of the resulting mess is a turnoff.

Cheetos and yogurt is possibly one of the worst ideas I have ever heard, so thanks for that. Cheetos and beer is fine, cheetos and a Bloody Mary is spectacular.

Cheetos and a Bloody Mary! Tomato, "cheese," and a little savory heat. Brilliant!!

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer