• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

• product-image-quickten.png.a40203b506711f7664fc62024e54a584.pngDid you know that these all-volunteer forums are operated by the 501(c)3 not-for-profit Society for Culinary Arts & Letters? This holiday season, consider a tax-deductible Quick Ten Bucks to support the eG Forums and help us remain completely advertising-free. Thanks to all those who have donated so far!

jaymer

Still looking for sous vide eggs with whites set. My tests with pics

29 posts in this topic

I've read most of the SV material available. Even Kyhmos' post references Balwins pics, and they are two years old. Not much in the way of recent info [that I have found] for the perfect SV egg.

I wasn't against the 62.2 egg from Balwin, and I'd like to use those in my restaurant, but the runny white is kinda a putoff - and yes, I've seen the 4 stages of protein temps.

Since I'm cooking a bunch of other stuff at 60C, I thought I'd try to SV eggs at that "standard" temp in my shop, and then boil them to see if I could get some outside heat into them to help set the white.

Here's my results with 5 eggs each boiled at 100C for a period of time after the 90 minute 60C water bath.

eggs.jpg

There was about 45 seconds after removal from the bath until the eggs went into the 100C water. Each egg was about 30 sec intervals.

1st pic (upper left) is the closest to just doing a 62.2 egg to begin with. The main thing I noticed was when opened, there was a thin layer of egg white still stuck inside the shell. It all came off uniformly, so its hard to notice - you can actually see a shiny surface inside the shell, which is the white glistening.

I was happy with the first egg and looking forward to the next ones, until the egg shell started sticking - something I had NEVER experienced doing 62.6 eggs. After the 3rd egg and seeing a set yellow, I was bummed and you can see the 4th and 5th eggs couldn't even have the shells removed properly to be anywhere close to presentable.

In summary, I added my tests to see if a better egg could be made to solve the runny white issue, but to no avail. For now, I'll have to continue to crack open on a side plate and then move to the final presentation to get that yucky ovomucoid off the plate.

If you can consistently get the 62.2 eggs from their shells, perhaps try something more like poaching for the second stage of cooking. Since the white is already somewhat set, I imagine it would hold its shape more than a standard poached egg.

Pedro, I have tried that. Its a real pain, measuring crap every time. And then you have to eat them right away since they keep cooking - kinda tough in a commercial setting, don't you think? Would be easier to cook on a flattop grill.

David, you mean remove them from the egg and dump them into boiling water, right? I'm not sure what that'll buy me if the more liquid white just runs away. I'm not worried about the white that is already set. I have no experience in poaching eggs.

These were NOT fresh eggs.

For now, I'll have to continue to crack open on a side plate and then move to the final presentation to get that yucky ovomucoid off the plate.

Can't help you about other cooking methods, but I can tell you how the chef dealt with these eggs during service in a restaurant where I worked. He immersed the egg in water, craked the shell while immersed in water, and used a drilled spoon

http://www.rgmania.com/media/images/superproductimage-picture-cucchiaio-forato-piccolo-lucido-2267_wm_w1_o100_gs0_r0_p-443x-274_s4.jpg

to collect the egg and place it on the plate.

Teo

My pastry blog (in Italian language): http://www.teonzo.com/

Pedro, I have tried that. Its a real pain, measuring crap every time. And then you have to eat them right away since they keep cooking - kinda tough in a commercial setting, don't you think? Would be easier to cook on a flattop grill.

You might precook many eggs at 75°C for the required time, then either transfer to your 60°C bath until served, or chill for later use and reheat in the 60°C bath.

Peter F. Gruber aka Pedro

eG Ethics Signatory

Can't contribute much to your discussion of setting the egg white but I can help you to get the eggs out easier.

I use one of these egg openers to produce a "lid" on the wider end of the shell that can be easily removed. Once this is done, the cooked sous vide egg slides easily out of the shell.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Since I'm cooking a bunch of other stuff at 60C, I thought I'd try to SV eggs at that "standard" temp in my shop, and then boil them to see if I could get some outside heat into them to help set the white.

Here's my results with 5 eggs each boiled at 100C for a period of time after the 90 minute 60C water bath.

There was about 45 seconds after removal from the bath until the eggs went into the 100C water. Each egg was about 30 sec intervals.

You might precook many eggs at 75°C for the required time, then either transfer to your 60°C bath until served, or chill for later use and reheat in the 60°C bath.

As a pre-production exercise, I'm not sure why one would wish to go directly from the sv bath to the 'boiling'.

An intermediate hold would seem best suited to production - as with standard poached eggs.

Also, having already 'pre-cooked' the yolk to 60C, I'd expect that chilling the egg would help limit additional yolk-cooking on reheating/white-setting.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

DOUGAL

As a pre-production exercise, I'm not sure why one would wish to go directly from the sv bath to the 'boiling'.

Well, we go directly from SV to plate [or SV to torch, then plate] so it seemed a logical test to try to inject some "setting" heat on the outside and see if it helped.

I just wanted to publish my findings while I had a camera and verifiable results.

I'm not a fan of the 75C/measuring method - so in a sense I was already in a intermediate hold at 60C.

I have to say though, one thing not tried is chilling them. Will have to do that and see if a reheat will work - I have no idea how long that will take but won't I be back to the same issue as initial cooking? That is, I have to warm up the yolk so its not ice cold and I don't want it to set, so If I'm in hotter water than my preferred yolk (62.2C per Baldwin) I still have to rely on formulas of time/circum/temp. Given a pasteurized egg pre-cooked, I wonder how long it takes to get back to 62.2C in a 62.2C bath?

If you are worried about serving eggs with cool (although ideally cooked through) yolks, then it does make sense to do it Pedro's way round -- cook the whites first (and arrest before the yolk cooks), then heat the whole thing through to yolk-cooking temperature, and hold before service.

If you chill the whole raw egg, you should be able to maximise the cooking of the white while leaving the yolk 'raw' -- which is what you normally try to avoid by specifying room temp eggs for boiling.

It would be ideal to leave as much as possible of the yolk 'raw' because you are going to cook it in stage 2, at 62.5 or whatever you choose.

In stage 1, the thing is to get the white cooked WITHOUT (over) cooking the yolk. But unlike trad 'boiling', you are not trying to 'perfectly' cook the yolk - you actually want to under-cook it. Hence starting from cold should help.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

I'm exploring the concept of a modernist "tortilla de patata" aka "Spanish omelette" and I plan to SV the eggs (well mixed) to attain a honey-like viscosity.

Has anybody played with SV egg custards?

This all seems to me to be an awful lot of trouble and time to make soft boiled or poached eggs. Why the fuss?

This all seems to me to be an awful lot of trouble and time to make soft boiled or poached eggs. Why the fuss?

In a word? Finesse.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Is the traditional egg shape a must? I've long been thinking about (in a slightly different application) separating the whites and yolks and cooking them separately, then reconstructing the components.

This would require a custom tray mold to SV the whites into some sort of cup form and cooking the yolks separately. Then you just unmold the molded white, fill with cooked yolk, garnish, and serve.

Besides being able come up whimsical shapes (An egg cube? An egg white shot class filled with yolk?), you could individually season the components and completely sidestep the difficult issues involved with managing the temps of two different components in one package.

An egg's shape may be very classical, but is it the most practical shape for plating? I'd think that a flat bottom alone could be a huge plus.

Is the traditional egg shape a must? I've long been thinking about (in a slightly different application) separating the whites and yolks and cooking them separately, then reconstructing the components.

This would require a custom tray mold to SV the whites into some sort of cup form and cooking the yolks separately. Then you just unmold the molded white, fill with cooked yolk, garnish, and serve.

Besides being able come up whimsical shapes (An egg cube? An egg white shot class filled with yolk?), you could individually season the components and completely sidestep the difficult issues involved with managing the temps of two different components in one package.

An egg's shape may be very classical, but is it the most practical shape for plating? I'd think that a flat bottom alone could be a huge plus.

Very funny, but this would really be an awful lot of trouble. Cooking in-shell eggs in a 75oC water bath for about a quarter of an hour is fast and simple and straightforward.

eG Ethics Signatory

Timings for cooking soft eggs courtesy of Neil Perry's "Rockpool Bar and Grill"

First cook eggs for two hours sous vide at 60C.

At this stage, I chilled eggs in cold water and placed in refrigerator overnight.

Rewarm to 60C in sous vide cooker.

Then removed top of egg with this device:

egg topper.jpg

Then tip into ramekin:

soft egg in container.jpg

At this stage, and what I did, was gently slide the egg onto a strainer scoop (see cooked egg picture below) this leaves behind some of the fragmented cooked albumen and makes for a neater cooked egg.

Then slide egg into barely simmering water.

egg in barely simmering water.jpg

Leave it in there for a very brief time (think it was around a minute, maybe less, I did it by eye rather than time).

Remove egg:

cooked egg.jpg

Add to toast. Cut.

cut egg.jpg

I'm sure the process can be used effectively in a commercial kitchen Jaymer. Look forward to hearing how it turns out.

Edited by nickrey (log)

My eG Foodblog

...An egg white shot class filled with yolk?...

I, for one, think this is an absolutely brilliant idea and it must be pursued!

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My eG Food Blog (2011)

These would make it fairly trivial, no?

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Cooked the second of the pre-cooked eggs today. This time, I didn't bother bringing back up to temperature. Just removed egg from shell, took away excess albumin then placed the egg directly in the simmering water. Same result, hot enough to eat, one less step.

Should also point out that the temp and time means that these babies are pasteurised. Moreover the egg yolk, while liquid, is not as runny as that of a "normal" poached egg: On the shot above the yolk didn't leak any more than what is shown.

My eG Foodblog

These would make it fairly trivial, no?

Uh oh, I think I've stumbled across a foolish new obsession.

Thanks...

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My eG Food Blog (2011)

Pedro, I have tried that. Its a real pain, measuring crap every time.

. . .

Maybe this would make measuring easier and faster:

PedroGs Egg cooking ruler_1200px.jpg

Download here:

http://egullet.org/p1840397

(Any suggestions for improvement?)

Another possibility to measure egg diameter using calipers (instead of "circumference measuring crap") was described over at Sous Vide Dash.

Adding diameters to Douglas Baldwin's EggHeatingTable would be easy if desired.

eG Ethics Signatory

In-Shell Egg Heating Times in a 75°C Water Bath Using Circumference or Diameter

Douglas Baldwin made me a nice birthday present, he recalculated the EggHeatingTime table using diameter instead of circumference, with an increment of 1mm diameter instead of 5mm circumference, and restricting the range to chicken eggs, as extrapolating his experimental results from chicken eggs to quail eggs or goose eggs may eventually not be adequate, taking into account that protein composition and geometry might be different. Using calipers to measure diameter instead of measuring circumference might facilitate “measuring crap”.

Measuring egg diameter with calipers.jpg

So here is Douglas’ new table for download:

In-Shell Egg Heating Times in a 75°C Water Bath Using Circumference or Diameter.pdf

Edited by PedroG (log)

eG Ethics Signatory

• Similar Content

• By eG Forums Host
      Introduction

Welcome to the index for the Sous Vide: Recipes, Techniques, & Equipment topic, one of the largest and most influential topics on eG Forums. (The topic has been closed to keep the index stable and reliable; you can find another general SV discussion topic here.) This index is intended to help you navigate the thousands of posts and discussions to make this rich resource more useful and accessible.

In order to understand sous vide cooking, it's best to clear up some misconceptions and explain some basics. Sous vide cooking involves vacuum-sealing food in a plastic bag and cooking it in a water bath at precise temperatures. Though it translates literally as "under vacuum," "Sous vide" is often taken to mean "under pressure," which is a misnomer; not all SV cooking involves food cooked in conditions that exceed atmospheric pressure. (See below.) In addition, calculations for SV cooking involve not only time and temperature but also thickness. Finally, due to the anaerobic conditions inside the bag and the low temperatures used, food safety issues are paramount.

You can read the basics of SV cooking and equipment here. In the summer of 2005, Nathan Myhrvold (Society member nathanm) posted this informative, "I'm now going to answer my own initial questions" post, which addresses just about everything up to that point. For what came next, read on -- and be sure to order Nathan Myhrvold's highly anticipated Modernist Cuisine book, due in spring 2011.

As with all indexes of on-going discussions, this one has limitations. We've done our best to create a user-friendly taxonomy emphasizing the categories that have come up repeatedly. In addition, the science, technology, and recipes changed over time, and opinions varied greatly, so be sure to read updated information whenever possible.

Therefore, we strongly encourage you to keep these issues in mind when reading the topic, and particularly when considering controversial topics related to food safety, doneness, delta T cooking, and so on. Don't read a first post's definitive claim without reading down the topic, where you'll likely find discussion, if not heated debate or refutation, of that claim. Links go to the first post in a series that may be discontinuous, so be sure to scan a bit more to get the full discussion.

Recipes were chosen based solely on having a clear set of information, not on merit. Indeed, we've included several stated failures for reference. Where possible, recipes include temperature and time in the link label -- but remember that thickness is also a crucial variable in many SV preparations. (See below for more information on thickness.)

History, Philosophy & Value of SV/LTLT Cooking

Over the years, we've talked quite a bit about SV as a concept, starting with this discussion about how SV cooking got started. There have also been several people who asked, Why bother with SV in the first place? (See also this discussion.) What with all the electronics and plastic bags, we asked: Does SV food lack passion? Finally, there have been several discussions about the value of SV cooking in other eG Forums topics, such as the future of SV cooking, No More Sous Vide -- PLEASE!, is SV "real cooking," and what's the appeal of SV?

Those who embrace SV initially seek ideas about the best applications for their new equipment. Discussions have focused on what a first SV meal should be -- see also this discussion -- and on the items for which SV/LTLT cooking is best suited. There's much more along those lines here, here, and here.

Vacuums and Pressure in Sous Vide Cooking

As mentioned above, there has been great confusion about vacuums, pressure, and their role SV cooking. Here is a selection of discussion points on the subject, arranged chronologically; please note that later posts in a given discussion may refute earlier ones:

Do you need a vacuum for SV cooking, and, if so, why? What exactly is a "vacuum"? Click here, here, and ff. Are items in vacuum-sealed bags "under pressure"? Does a vacuum sealer create a vacuum inside the bag? Do you really need a vacuum, or can you use ZipLoc bags? Also see here, here, and here. If "sous vide" means "under pressure," aren't the items in the bag under pressure? There is more along these lines to be found in this discussion.  

The Charts

We've collected the most important of many charts in the SV topic here. Standing above the rest are Nathan Myhrvold's charts for cooking time versus thickness and desired core temperature. We worked with him to create these three reformatted protein tables, for beef, fish, and chicken & pork.

Nathan provides additional information on his charts here. Information on how to read these charts can be found in this post. For an explanation of "rest time" in Nathan's tables, click here.

Other Society members helped out as well. Douglas Baldwin references his heating time table for different geometric factors (slab/cylinder/sphere) here; the pdf itself can be found here. pounce created a post with all three tables as neatly formatted images. derekslager created two monospace font charts of Nathan's meat table and his fish table.

Camano Chef created a cumulative chart with information gathered from other sources including Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc. Douglas Baldwin shared this chart devoted to pasteurizing poultry. PedroG detailed heat loss and steady state energy consumption of sous vide cookers in these charts.

Finally, there is also an eG Forums topic on cooling rates that may be of interest.

Acknowledgment & Comments

This index was built by Chris Amirault, Director, eG Forums. It was reviewed by the eGullet Society volunteer team as well as many Society members. Please send questions or comments to Chris via messenger or email.

• By TdeV
      Wikipedia defines pork wings as: a pork product made from the fibula of a pig's shank - a single bone surrounded by lean, tender meat.
      Images from the internet look like a finger-size bit of meat around a bone.
      Mine, however, look more like the meat (lots) which surrounds a bone. My butcher called this cut pork wings.
      You can see on the right that there's a small amount of bone.

My butcher said he regularly ate SEVERAL of these. But this one measures 15 oz (425g).
      He also said it had to be cooked slowly.

So, if I cook these sous vide, what temp and for how long?
    • By jedovaty
      Good morning!

Long story short: I am doing a spin off the coconut/chocolate/almond candy (almond joy), and trying to create a specific shape out of the almond.  My hands are cramped after a couple dozen failed attempts whittling roasted almonds, so now I'd like to try a different approach, and instead, create some kind of sub-candy or cookie with roasted almonds that I can put into a mold or use a mini cookie cutter.  I'm fairly new to sweets, my knowledge in this area is pretty slim.  Some ideas so far, I don't like any, but it might help turn some gears:
      1. dusting almond over a stencil, but that's not enough almond nor crunchy enough
      2. almond brittle, but that's too hard and sweet, I'd like it more of a soft crunch, and bringing the almond flavor forward
      3. meringue with almonds (sort of macaron-ish), however, weather has been humid and raining here, and I'm ending up with a gooey mess instead of that soft crunch

In addition to having almond-forward taste and soft crunch texture, it'd be fun to explore something modernish - I have a accumulated a few tools and ingredients not customarily found in homes.

There are dietary considerations I will have to account for, however, no need to worry about that now, I am just looking for ideas and a place to take it from there

Thank you for your time in reading!
    • By Franzisaurus_Rex
      FOOD BRETHREN!
      I need some advice. I have one last piece of pork belly confit in the fridge. I brined these bitches for about 5 days (brine included pink curing salt), vacuum sealed the squares of pork belly with lard and sous vide them at 158 F for 16 hours. I cooked this on 11/10/16 and its been in my refrigerator since. 
      Here is the general recipe I followed, with some modifications based on my taste: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/...
      The last piece is still vacuum sealed and submerged (mostly) in lard. Any visible pork only has contact with the bag. 
      It's staring at me. And calling my name.
      I want to deep fry this sucker and have a little date night with the handsome devil I see in the mirror every morning, but the last thing I want is spoiled food. I can't find any conclusive information about how long pork confit lasts for. I've only seen references that duck confit or in general that the confit technique will last for months in the fridge. I have found no sources which directly addresses pork confit.
      Questions/Factors I'm Considering:
      - Does pork confit keep for as long as duck confit?
      - Does vacuum sealing have any effect on the length of preservation?
      - Does sous-vide cooking method affect the length of preservation?
      I know I am probably being a bit paranoid, but I thought I would do my due diligence before taking the plunge, so to speak. Any advice on these questions would be extremely helpful and appreciated!
      The Franzisaurus-Rex
      PS - you should totally make this if you are into sous vide, confit, food, or have any respect for the enjoyment of life. Flash-searing these things after cooking was OUT OF THIS WORLD.
    • By JoNorvelleWalker
      The NY Times has a current article in the science section "A Universe of Bubbles in Every Champagne Bottle".

The article asserts that it is better to serve Champagne at warmer than refrigerator temperatures so that the bubbles are larger and convey more flavor.  Also to serve in a narrow glass.

However Gerard Liger-Belair (who is referenced as an authority in the Times article) points out in his book Uncorked (forward by Herve This) that the colder the wine the more viscous and the more dissolved CO2.  Liger-Belair also prefers a goblet to a flute.  I bought Uncorked after reading about it in Liquid Intelligence from Dave Arnold.

Discuss.