• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains

Toliver

16 hours ago, Anna N said:

That is interesting because what I am seeing from your link is no price given for the Kindle edition and over on the top right a notation that this book is not available for sale.    Perhaps I am persona non-grata!   Edited to add screenshot.

image.png

@Anna N, did you try clickling on the "See all 4 formats and editions" link to get the Kindle edition? I'm seeing it on .com for the $1.99 price. (And yes, I bit.)

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

19 hours ago, Anna N said:

I just wonder how one discoveries these incredible  bargains except by happenstance. But perhaps it's better I don't know.xDxD

Not to enable you, but check out ereaderiq.com (e.g. http://www.ereaderiq.com/drops?c=156154011&t=week ).  The problem with this and similar sites is that not everything in the cooking category is actually cooking related and for every good title, there might be dozens of not so good ones - and the crummy ones tend to repeat at regular intervals.  With that said, there are filters available that can help thin and improve the results.  What I use most is their tracking feature.  You can set criteria for a specific title and they will email you if/when it hits that price.  I've used it for titles that I couldn't get from my library, but wasn't sufficiently interested in to pay full freight (e.g. when when the kindle book isn't much less expensive than the hardback).  For example, I just searched for Keller's Under Presssure and it came up at $18, but the site suggested tracking it because it may drop below $10 (I presume based on past history).  It's a handy way to check whether it might be worth delaying a purchase.

2 hours ago, MelissaH said:

@Anna N, did you try clickling on the "See all 4 formats and editions" link to get the Kindle edition? I'm seeing it on .com for the $1.99 price. (And yes, I bit.)

I tried everything under the sun including signing in. To no avail. It does not even show up as a Kindle version on the .ca site. And .com will not sell Kindle to Canadian members.   I tried again this morning on the.com site and got the same thing. It's a mystery to me.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Those wanting to obtain a cooking ebook which is only available in kindle format and have a different reader try Calibre - https://calibre-ebook.com/

This free program will convert anything to anything (and a whole lot more). I have a sony reader and use it extensively.

p

Edited by palo (log)
  • Like 3

On September 24, 2016 at 3:36 PM, rustwood said:

Thanks I went for the River Cottage book

@rustwood, I have a question for you about this one.  Is the index hyperlinked and if so, are you viewing it on a Kindle or another reader?  

I also got this yesterday and am somewhat disappointed that the index appears as just a list - no page numbers (obviously) but no hyperlinks either.  

I don't have a Kindle and am using the Kindle app on my iPad.  The other two ebooks I ordered appear on my iPad with hyperlinks in the index, something I find quite beneficial in ebooks. 

My Kindle version of the River Cottage Preserves book has hyperlinks. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab tablet.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 minutes ago, rustwood said:

Same on my Kindle - no page numbers and no hyperlinks in the River Cottage preserves book..  Very odd.  I am going to try to ask Amazon about it.  I also bought "Pasta by Hand" and it has both page numbers and hyperlinks.

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

My Kindle version of the River Cottage Preserves book has hyperlinks. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab tablet.

Thanks for the quick responses!  I'm a newbie to the ecookbook world and I was curious if the iPad Kindle app was dumbed-down in some way or if there's just a range of features, depending on the book.  

I noted that within the River Cottage book recipes, there are active hyperlinks to common methods, etc. which is very helpful but the index (on my iPad) is just a list.

Sounds like it depends on the book and the device since @Smithy's tablet shows a hyperlinked index but my iPad and @rustwood's Kindle do not.

A brave new world!

FWIW, I chatted with Ashley from Amazon and, after having me jump through a few hoops, she concluded there must be something wrong with that ebook.  She said she is submitting it for review.  I will be interested to see if anything actually comes of it.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thanks for the quick responses!  I'm a newbie to the ecookbook world and I was curious if the iPad Kindle app was dumbed-down in some way or if there's just a range of features, depending on the book.  

I noted that within the River Cottage book recipes, there are active hyperlinks to common methods, etc. which is very helpful but the index (on my iPad) is just a list.

Sounds like it depends on the book and the device since @Smithy's tablet shows a hyperlinked index but my iPad and @rustwood's Kindle do not.

A brave new world!

4 hours ago, rustwood said:

FWIW, I chatted with Ashley from Amazon and, after having me jump through a few hoops, she concluded there must be something wrong with that ebook.  She said she is submitting it for review.  I will be interested to see if anything actually comes of it.

On further inspection I see that the Table of Contents has active hyperlinks but the index at the end does not - nor does it have page numbers.  It will be interesting to see whether anything comes of that investigation.  

• Like 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, chefmd said:

Gjelina and Plenty cookbooks are 2.99 on Amazon kindle.

Thanks for the heads up.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Today through this Sunday night (10/2/16) Penzey's has reduced their free shipping minimum from $30 to $20.

Also, if you use the code 43753C at checkout you will receive a free $4.95 value jar of Penzeys Garlic Shoots, which is a new Penzey's item.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Now cheap (US $2.99) on Amazon.com: the Kindle edition of Joanne Chang's Flour, Tooir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00BMAR5D. I have and use this book; it has not only recipes for baked sweets, but also other stuff. I loved the lamb sandwich from this!

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

21 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

Now cheap (US $2.99) on Amazon.com: the Kindle edition of Joanne Chang's Flour, Tooir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00BMAR5D. I have and use this book; it has not only recipes for baked sweets, but also other stuff. I loved the lamb sandwich from this!

Must...stop....reading...this..topic. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

Must...stop....reading...this..topic. 

Yessss...so do I....right after I purchase that book....

• Like 2

On October 9, 2016 at 10:59 AM, MelissaH said:

The lamb sandwich drew me in but it is the egg sandwich that is ringing my bells. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

David Lebovitz' dessert cookbook. Kindle edition $1.99

Click

I have far too many friends who are Enablers. 

Edited to fix spelling. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Kindle version of all Thomas Keller books is 9.99.  Even the French Laundry.   Sous vide book is 12.99.

Host's note: this topic has been broken into segments to reduce the load on our servers.  To view the next (as of this writing, current) segment of this ephemeral topic, click here.

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note; adjusted topic title (log)
  • Like 2