• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ingredients That Are Pointless If Not Fresh

Chris Amirault

Cilantro/coriander. Wilts and changes flavor so fast, even if you keep it in a glass of water. Sold in pointlessly large bunches that you end up throwing out after using a quarter of them. Seriously upsets because I use it more or less constantly, yet I don't want to have to make a special trip to the store three times a week for a garnish.

At least it's cheap.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Although I take issue with 'pointless' versus, say, 'inferior'.

Well, I really did mean pointless. There is no benficial use for dried basil or rosemary.

That's not true in my experience. At least for basil. In fact, in a pizza sauce I notice much more taste effect from dried basil versus fresh basil. Especially freshly dried basil. Fresh basil is less about taste and more about smell.

I agree with cilantro. Dried--no flavor. The weird thing is if you freeze it--absolutely no flavor. I've figured out how to freeze pretty much every dried herb I can grow but I cannot even get a little cilantro flavor out of dried or frozen cilantro. Weird.

I take issue with "pointless."

Even dried Rosemary has an aroma, if not such a large flavor as fresh - and surely that counts for something?

Dried rosemary still has a significant flavor and aroma. In no way as much as fresh but it's still there. Dried parsley and cilantro has virtually no flavor or aroma.

Out of all the herbs in common usage in western kitchens, I'd reckon rosemary stands up the best to the drying process (or even being stored for > couple of days). It loses something, yeah--a lot, even--but it takes a lot for it to develop the 'dried grass clippings' quality of, say, parsley or coriander (and we're talking about the leaves and stems here, right? The seeds are fine dried).

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I maintain it's pointless. Fresh rosemary should have a different name than dried. Reminds me of what Bourdain said about dried herbs, the way that they all "evoke the warehouse floor..."

I like Bourdain, but couldn't find the quote. Instead, I'll just virtually point to the baking and spices aisle of any supermarket and say "Pointless? I don't think so." Better cooks than any of us from all ethnicities have drawn down the stocks of those aisles over many years.

The best ingredients? No. Pointless? No, not that either.

Cilantro, thyme, parsley, chives, rosemary. Most fresh veg including broccoli, asparagus, green beans. Squash. Lemons. Limes.

Frozen corn and peas are ok.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

So there's some difference in meaning here about "fresh." I was going to say: mushrooms. Must be perfect. But of course, dried mushrooms are good. And pineapple; it ferments when not super fresh; but dried pineapple is fine.

What do we mean by "fresh"? Fresh when fresh (versus somewhat old)? Or fresh v dried?

I will say that dried epazote bears no resemblance to fresh.

Asparagus. It's "pointless" to even buy and even more inane to cook with shriveled, "unfresh" asparagus.

Probably the best example so far on this list. If it's not very fresh and snap when you bend it it's not worth cooking. I've never had it frozen or canned either when it's edible. It seems like most other things have a couple of forms where they are edible.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Shellfish. Most particularly raw bar items. Uni for sure. The first time I ever had uni it was definitely past its short window of opportunity and it was like waking up face down on the beach at low tide. It was a revelation when I had the good stuff.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol