• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2010 Candy & Confectionery Conference [PLAN]

lebowits

I have established this topic to being the planning for the 2nd (hopefully) annual eG Candy & Confectionery Conference. The first event organized by KerryBeal et. al. was a great success and now it is time to start thinking about next year.

THIS EVENT HAS BEEN ORGANIZED THROUGH EG FORUMS BY MEMBERS BUT IS NOT SPONSORED BY THE EGULLET SOCIETY FOR CULINARY ARTS AND LETTERS OR EG FORUMS. YOUR PARTICIPATION IN ANY EVENT OR ACTIVITY ARRANGED ON OR DISCUSSED IN EG FORUMS IS AT YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE RISK. BY USING AND PARTICIPATING IN THE FORUMS YOU AGREE AND UNDERSTAND (1) THAT IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR PARTICIPATION IN ANY EVENT OR ACTIVITY, YOU MAY BE EXPOSED TO A VARIETY OF HAZARDS AND RISKS ARISING FROM THOSE ACTIVITIES AND EVENTS; (2) TO THE FULLEST EXTENT ALLOWED BY LAW, YOU AGREE TO WAIVE, DISCHARGE CLAIMS, RELEASE, INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS THE SOCIETY, ITS AFFILIATES, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, AGENTS, AND OTHER PARTNERS AND EMPLOYEES, FROM ANY AND ALL LIABILITY ON ACCOUNT OF, OR IN ANY WAY RESULTING FROM INJURIES AND DAMAGES IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH ANY SUCH EVENTS OR ACTIVITIES. YOU AGREE AND UNDERSTAND THAT THESE TERMS WILL BE BINDING UPON YOU AND YOUR HEIRS, EXECUTORS, AGENTS, ADMINISTRATORS AND ASSIGNS, AS WELL AS ANY GUESTS AND MINORS ACCOMPANYING YOU AT THE EVENTS.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

My current thought is to host this event in Gaithersburg, Maryland. I am hoping that we will be able to work out some type of arrangement with: 1) Albert Uster Imports and/or 2) L'Academie de Cuisine (my culinary alma mater). I have also contacted the Corporate Pastry Chef at Tomric Systems in Buffalo, NY to see if they would be interested in "sponsoring" us again next year.

The responses I've received from folks so far are generally supportive of the event itself and the location. Gaithersburg, MD is near Washington DC and within range of 3 international airports. Hotels are near the proposed location as well.

If anyone is interested in helping me organize the event, please send me a PM. I'm not aware of many folks nearby, but I'm hoping. :biggrin:

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

We'll make it there though heck should bar our way.

I'll help on the computer. We are in Ontario. Plus I have no contacts in the industry...unless you count Kerry Beal. :wink:

And, she said truthfully and modestly, I have no expertise in any area.

Time is not a problem for me.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Ohhhhh, I hope I hope I hope I can make it this time!!

edited to say Darienne, you're already ahead of me on this – I know no one in the industry (unless you count the folks here on egullet), and I've only ever made confections for myself & friends at home.

Edited by emmalish (log)

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

I haven't thought about a fixed date yet. Someone suggested that we look for a 3 day weekend. I would like to keep it to "spring" so we won't have to wait too long for the next event. Perhaps May 2010. We could shoot for the US "Memorial Day" weekend. This might be an issue with the places I'm going to be contacting. I'll know more soon.

What time of year are you thinking of, Steve?

MelissaH

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Sometimes the most important skills are not technical but organizational. I'm not counting anyone out. :biggrin:

We'll make it there  though heck should bar our way.

I'll help on the computer.  We are in Ontario.  Plus I have no contacts in the industry...unless you count Kerry Beal. :wink:

And, she said truthfully and modestly, I have no expertise in any area. 

Time is not a problem for me.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Count me in for next year - I so wish I hadn't had to pull out at the last minute this year. DC is my old stomping grounds (lived there for 8 years after college), so it'd be an absolute hoot all around!

Patty

I haven't thought about a fixed date yet.  Someone suggested that we look for a 3 day weekend.  I would like to keep it to "spring" so we won't have to wait too long for the next event.  Perhaps May 2010.  We could shoot for the US "Memorial Day" weekend.  This might be an issue with the places I'm going to be contacting.  I'll know more soon.
What time of year are you thinking of, Steve?

MelissaH

Count me in. I'll really try to be there. I would be a little hesistant about Memorial Day weekend. It can be a real pain to travel that weekend!

1.  If you attended this years event, would you attend a similar event next year?

3.  How important is location to you?

Yes I would very much like to attend another gathering. The demonstrations were great and getting the chance to do a little teaching was fun, but what I really enjoyed was meeting people. Unfortunately due to time constraints I was unable to spend enough time with everyone so I'm going to need another opportunity.

Being able to drive is nice, but I'll fly if I have to.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update for all interest...

I've contacted the Director at my culinary Alma Mater and asked if we could work out something for the use of a classroom or two. I've also contacted the Corporate Pastry Chef at Albert Uster Imports which is right next door and asked if he/they would be willing to sponsor us for a few hours in their demo kitchen like Tomric did this year. Finally, I've spoken with Brian at Tomric to ask if they would like to participate again and the answer was a qualified "yes". The qualification being that I contact him again once we have some ideas on schedule so he can make the best use of the trip.

I'll continue to post updates from time to time as I have news to report.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Just a quick update for all interest...

I've contacted the Director at my culinary Alma Mater and asked if we could work out something for the use of a classroom or two.  I've also contacted the Corporate Pastry Chef at Albert Uster Imports which is right next door and asked if he/they would be willing to sponsor us for a few hours in their demo kitchen like Tomric did this year.  Finally, I've spoken with Brian at Tomric to ask if they would like to participate again and the answer was a qualified "yes".  The qualification being that I contact him again once we have some ideas on schedule so he can make the best use of the trip.

I'll continue to post updates from time to time as I have news to report.

Sounds Great! Thanks for your hard work in organizing it.

• 5 weeks later...

Latest update from the front lines...

I had two meetings today worth noticing:

First, I met with Anil R, Corporate Pastry Chef of Albert Uster Imports. I had spoken with him a few weeks ago but today was my first opportunity to meet him and ask him about hosting us for a few hours to perform a demo of some type. He has agreed to do so and we just need to settle on a topic. Since Anil is something of an expert in sugar and chocolate showpieces, this might be a great opportunity to see someone of his caliber discuss this subject. I've also thought that a discussion of chocolate bon bons revolving around flavor (center vs exterior), shape, and decoration might be very interesting as well.

My second meeting was with Patrice D at my alma mater, L'Academie de Cuisine about classroom space. It seems that this is the right time to be asking. Patrice said that we should be in good shape with the use of a true "classroom" which includes a counter and mirror for demo, as well as one of their kitchen classrooms. She is going to get back to me soon with pricing so we can begin to get an idea for how much this will cost each of us.

With the success of the group dinner at Niagara College, I've asked Patrice to find out if we could do something similar next year.

So, it looks like we're in business provided that the cost isn't prohibitive. I'll continue to keep everyone posted as I learn more.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

So, it looks like we're in business provided that the cost isn't prohibitive.  I'll continue to keep everyone posted as I learn more.

Good work, O fearless leader! :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

First, I met with Anil R, Corporate Pastry Chef of Albert Uster Imports.  I had spoken with him a few weeks ago but today was my first opportunity to meet him and ask him about hosting us for a few hours to perform a demo of some type.  He has agreed to do so and we just need to settle on a topic.  Since Anil is something of an expert in sugar and chocolate showpieces, this might be a great opportunity to see someone of his caliber discuss this subject.  I've also thought that a discussion of chocolate bon bons revolving around flavor (center vs exterior), shape, and decoration might be very interesting as well.

My second meeting was with Patrice D at my alma mater, L'Academie de Cuisine about classroom space.  It seems that this is the right time to be asking.  Patrice said that we should be in good shape with the use of a true "classroom" which includes a counter and mirror for demo, as well as one of their kitchen classrooms.  She is going to get back to me soon with pricing so we can begin to get an idea for how much this will cost each of us.

With the success of the group dinner at Niagara College, I've asked Patrice to find out if we could do something similar next year.

So, it looks like we're in business provided that the cost isn't prohibitive.  I'll continue to keep everyone posted as I learn more.

yea! sounds wonderful :)

• 4 months later...

Been a while since the last update, and I very much don't want to miss this year's conference - is it still likely to happen?

Nervous thanks-

Pat

Yes, we are still on track to have this event. I'm sorry if I've been absent from this thread for a while. My day job was getting in the way of my chocolate work.

We've been confirmed for our location and I'm having some discussions with folks who have ideas for content. I'm hoping to meet the new Corporate Pastry Chef at AUI in the next week or so and will also begin working on securing a block of hotel rooms.

One topic which has been suggested is making chocolate "from bean to bar". I've been put into contact with a company from Atlanta, GA that makes small grinder/melangeurs and will be talking to them about doing a demo for us. The time constraints will prevent us from fully executing the process so we can use the resulting product, but this might be a really fun topic to explore.

If you have ideas for things you would like to try, post them here or send me a PM.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

I understand perfectly - it was my 'real' jobs that made me miss last year's conference. I think I've got notifications set up now to allow me to get email when the topic is updated so I can relax.

As far as topics go, my knowledge is spotty enough to benefit from almost anything. I'm concentrating right now on dipping technique. If I get some decent molds soon, I'll start working with them and see how much I really know and don't about that process. I bought a temperer when the process of trying to learn tempering by traditional means became too frustrating, so a loop back through that area might be fruitful.

I'd love to do the bean-to-bar demo, too. I don't think there is any content whose presence or absence would make or break my decision to attend; I really want to do this!

Pat

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous