• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2010 Candy & Confectionery Conference [PLAN]

lebowits

NEWS FLASH

Today I was fortunate to meet with the new Corporate Pastry Chef at Albert Uster Imports, Drew Logan (aka drewman on eGullet). Drew and his staff were gracious and excited that we will be having this event come April. Chef Drew has extended the offer to host us at AUI on Friday April 16 for a demonstration and discussion on a topic TBD. I suggested that perhaps something he and his staff could do which would have broad appeal would be a demo on the design and construction of chocolate centerpieces/showpieces. We'll see how it morphs in the coming months.

Logistics note: I've managed to secure blocks of rooms at group rates at 3 separate hotel nearby. Room rates will vary from USD $64 - 104. One hotel will include breakfast, and another will be small suites with kitchenette. I should have the details sorted out in a few days and will post them when it's done.

If you have any questions, please post here or send me a PM or e-mail.

I guess it's time to start making (and checking it twice) of attendees. Y'all come down!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Event Update

Event Information

Event: 2010 Candy & Confectionery Workshop

Dates: Friday 16 April 2010 - Sunday 18 April 2010

Location: L'Academie de Cuisine, 16006 Industrial Drive, Gaithersburg, MD 2087 USA [map]

Note: This event is not sponsored or endorsed by L'Academie de Cuisine.

Fee: USD $150.00

This fee is intended to cover all facility rental, required staff labor, and materials (edible or otherwise) for the event. Any leftover funds at the end of the event will be donated to the eGullet Society.

Accomodation

Reservations should be made by Friday 12 March 2010 in order to guarantee the group rate. Links have been provided below. Click on the hotel names and you will be taken to the appropriate web site.

1. Springhill Suites - USD $64 - $104 including breakfast - [map]
  2. Courtyard by Marriott - USD $64 [link and map to come]
  3. Extended Stay Hotels - USD $69.99 (kitchenette) [link and map to come]

Agenda (tentative as of 12 November 2009)

Friday 16 April 2010

• 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm Albert Uster Imports with Corporate Pastry Chef Drew Long

Albert Uster Imports is a provider of pastry and chocolate products for the professional chef. They are located next door to L'Academie de Cuisine and have a long history with the school. Chef Logan and his staff will spend seveal hours with us discussing and demonstrating a topic as yet to be determined but which I believe will be fun and educational for us all. Chef Logan assumed his position at AUI in November 2009 after leading teams at a number of 4 and 5 start resorts.

• 7:00 - ??? Evening Social & Chocolate Tasting

Show off your work! Bring a little something to share. We'll find a nosh or two and some wine and drinks and spend a little time getting to know each other better.

Saturday 17 April 2010

• 8:30 am Breakfast and Introductions
  • 9:00 am - 12:00 pm TBD
  • 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm Lunch
  • 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm TBD
  • 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm Cleanup
  • 7:00 pm Group Dinner (TBD)

Sunday 18 April 2010

• 8:30 am Breakfast
  • 9:00 am - 12:00 TBD
  • 1:00 pm - 3:30 pm TBD
  • 3:30 - 4:30 Final Cleanup

Attendees

Yes

lebowits

Darienne

patris

cmflick

beacheschef

David J.

chocoera

Marmish

Maybe

emmalish

Lior

Beth Wilson

Desiderio

psantucc

Edited by lebowits (log)

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

is this spouse friendly or no? *hoping to see betsy!* and if so, what do you think spouses would do while we're working? and do you need people to bring molds or warming pots?

I would think that this could easily be a "spouse friendly" event. If spouses (or any other guests) don't wish to hang out with us, it wouldn't be hard to get them to the "Metro" so they could go downtown and see museums, art galleries, or any of the other attractions DC has to offer. We're also near several shopping malls if they have that particular urge.

I'm sure Betsy will be with us at least some of the time. Maybe we could press her into playing "tour guide".

As for molds and other equipment, I'm sure we'll need as much as you can swing. I now have a large Chocovision temperer (in addition to my little Rev 2) and a bunch of molds. The school will have pots, pans, food processors, etc. that we can use. It is more the specialty equipment that we'll need to bring with us.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Event Update

Event Information

Location: L'Academie de Cuisine, 16006 Industrial Drive, Gaithersburg, MD 2087 USA [map]

This fee is intended to cover all facility rental, required staff labor, and materials (edible or otherwise) for the event. Any leftover funds at the end of the event will be donated to the eGullet Society.

Accomodation

Reservations should be made by Friday 12 March 2010 in order to guarantee the group rate. Links have been provided below. Click on the hotel names and you will be taken to the appropriate web site.

1. Springhill Suites - USD $64 - $104 including breakfast - [map]
  2. Courtyard by Marriott - USD $64 [map]
  3. Extended Stay Hotels - USD $69.99 (kitchenette) [link and map to come]

Friday 16 April 2010

Albert Uster Imports is a provider of pastry and chocolate products for the professional chef. They are located next door to L'Academie de Cuisine and have a long history with the school. Chef Logan and his staff will spend seveal hours with us discussing and demonstrating a topic as yet to be determined but which I believe will be fun and educational for us all. Chef Logan assumed his position at AUI in November 2009 after leading teams at a number of 4 and 5 start resorts.

Show off your work! Bring a little something to share. We'll find a nosh or two and some wine and drinks and spend a little time getting to know each other better.

Saturday 17 April 2010

Sunday 18 April 2010

Attendees as of 12 November 2009

Yes

lebowits

Darienne

patris

beacheschef

David J.

chocoera

Marmish

Kerry Beal

RobertM

Maybe

emmalish

Lior

Beth Wilson

Desiderio

psantucc

cmflick

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

I've been thinking about what might have broad appeal. First, I think it would be interesting to have a discussion on flavor development. My inspiration for this has been Andrew Schott's book in which he has a cool table of chocolate vs flavoring agent. This could include simple ganache, multi-layer pieces, combining flavors for contrast, texture, etc.

I also think it would be fun to discuss decorating pieces. Specifically, color (e.g. transfer sheets), texture, and/or garnish. I generally try to figure out how to decorate my pieces so that I can somehow "telegraph" the flavor through appearance. We could include a subsection here on making your own transfer sheets.

Any thoughts?

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven, those sound like excellent topics, we may also want to add something on "shelf life" - the last thing I would ever want to do is sell someone a truffle with "green" growing inside -

Something else that may be fun, especially if we are going to be in a lab, is to try and obtain samples of different chocolates (e.g. Callebaut, Wilbur, Peters, Guittiard, Belcolade, etc) and then mold the same center around the different chocolates, so the attendee's can actually taste how the flavor profile can be changed by using a specific chocolate -

Event Update

Event Information

Accomodation

Reservations should be made by Friday 12 March 2010 in order to guarantee the group rate. Links have been provided for each hotel below. The links to the first 2 hotels will take you directly to the hotel web site with the appropriate group code.

1. Springhill Suites - USD $64 - $104 including breakfast [map]
  3. Homestead Studio Suites - USD $69.99 (kitchenette) [map]

Call the hotel directly at +1-301-987-9100 and ask for the "eGullet Workshop" group block when making a reservation.

Friday 16 April 2010

Saturday 17 April 2010

Sunday 18 April 2010

Attendees as of 12 November 2009

Yes

lebowits

beacheschef

David J.

chocoera

Marmish

Kerry Beal

RobertM

psantucc

tammylc

Desparately wanting to

Darienne

Maybe

emmalish

Lior

Beth Wilson

Desiderio

cmflick

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven, those sound like excellent topics, we may also want to add something on "shelf life" - the last thing I would ever want to do is sell someone a truffle with "green" growing inside -

Something else that may be fun, especially if we are going to be in a lab, is to try and obtain samples of different chocolates (e.g. Callebaut, Wilbur, Peters, Guittiard, Belcolade, etc) and then mold the same center around the different chocolates, so the attendee's can actually taste how the flavor profile can be changed by using a specific chocolate -

Bob - I like the idea of sampling different chocolates. Perhaps we should do a side-by-side chocolate tasting, taking notes about the flavors in each and then discuss how each would pair with different flavor centers.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

I'd love to learn more about using formulas to predict the effects of differing ingredients, humidities, and time at temperature on finished candy, particularly for high-cooked sweets - though I'm also interested in similar qualities for ganache.

As a corollary, perhaps a brief guide to understanding figures that come from suppliers, such as viscosity ratings.

I also support all the prior topic suggestions. And all the ones from the last conference. Greedy, that's me!

Pat

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

Would those interested in attending post a reply indicating the type of chocolate(s) you use in your work? Additionaly, would you be willing to bring a modest amount of these chocolates so the group could do a "formal" tasting? We could also fill out a few gaps for some of the more well known chocolates by purchasing them for this purpose if we have enough projected funds.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

I am a YES!! on attending the conference.

I use El Rey and Callebaut and Noel, though the Calle is about to get get replaced with something else, probably Valrhona.

I have several different models of spray guns I could bring for demos, maybe a compare/contrast element for attendees to try different machines??

Edited by pringle007 (log)

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me

I use Callebaut for the majority of my work, but just requested some samples from Wilbur/Peters which I would be willing to bring -

I would also be willing to request samples from the various chocolate companies at the January show and bring them along - That could add Guittard to the mix -

If I, desperately wanting, can come, I will bring my small Revolation, small marble slab, and dipping forks. (and anything else which I can think of which arises along the way) I can also bring a South African chocolate sold in a local store for the taste testing part.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I've mostly used Trader Joe's 'Pound Plus', but haven't been very happy with it as couverture - entirely possible that it is weakness in my technique rather than the chocolate.

Nonetheless, it's easy for me to bring some, and I like the flavour very well.

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

Event Update

Event Information

Dates: Friday, 16 April 2010 - Sunday, 18 April 2010

Accommodation

Reservations should be made by Friday, 12 March 2010 in order to guarantee the group rate. Links have been provided for each hotel below. The links to the first 2 hotels will take you directly to the hotel web site with the appropriate group code.

1. Springhill Suites - USD $64 - $104 including breakfast [map]
  3. Homestead Studio Suites - USD $69.99 (kitchenette) [map]

Call the hotel directly at +1-301-987-9100 and ask for the "eGullet Workshop" group block when making a reservation.

Friday, 16 April 2010

Saturday, 17 April 2010

Sunday, 18 April 2010

Attendees as of 16 November 2009

Yes

lebowits

beacheschef

David J.

chocoera

Marmish

Kerry Beal

RobertM

psantucc

tammylc

pringle007

Desperately wanting to

Darienne

Maybe

emmalish

Lior

Beth Wilson

Desiderio

cmflick

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things