• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2010 Candy & Confectionery Conference [PLAN]

lebowits

Steve, are jeans OK at all of these events (in particular, dinner on Saturday)? Or do I need to pack some slacks?

Hope jeans are OK - they are all I own!

Lunch on Friday:

Since it looks like I don't have to shuttle (thanks to Marmish for the notice and chocoera for the driving) to any airports Friday morning, and we don't get started until 1, I'm thinking of going for Dim Sum at New Fortune. There isn't any place near me that serves cart-style.

I plan to leave from SpringHill suites about 11 am; Let me know if you'd like to join me. I can drive, of course.

I'm willing to cancel if there is a need for a shuttle that I missed.

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

question: would you like us to bring poly molds? not sure if we covered that? and i assume, if possible, a thermometer, spatula and off set spatula? anything else? i would bring one of my melters, but since we're staying open, the shop needs all of them.....

but did i miss anything?

ok final list after packing: melter and vibrator.

Will bring some pop rocks. We could buy nut pastes at Albert Uster anyway right?

assume others will bring bring molds, airbrush, cocoa butter/luster dust,

regular brushes, and anything else.

See you all there! Looking forward to it!!!

Edited by ejw50 (log)

Steve, are jeans OK at all of these events (in particular, dinner on Saturday)? Or do I need to pack some slacks?

Hope jeans are OK - they are all I own!

Casual clothing, including jeans will be fine!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

question: would you like us to bring poly molds? not sure if we covered that? and i assume, if possible, a thermometer, spatula and off set spatula? anything else? i would bring one of my melters, but since we're staying open, the shop needs all of them.....

but did i miss anything?

We should have access to all the basic tools needed. If you have favorite pallet knife/spatula or other tool, feel free to bring it. I'll have what I hope are plenty of molds. Again, if you have a favorite and want to share, bring it with you!

See you all soon!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

I have a couple of scrapers and off-set spatula's I'll bring with me. I have two thermometers, one is a definite, still debating about the other, it is digital and may be too large for our purposes, it has a long probe, and designed for deep kettles - but, if anyone want's to play with it, I'm happy to bring it with me

Originally offered to bring molds and a scale but sounds like you have plenty of molds. Should I still bring my digital scale?

A scale would be welcome.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Testing new photo - if you're looking for me this weekend, I look pretty much like this!

If I can break away from the rather disjointed preparations, I'll try and meet you for lunch at the dim sum place. Excellent dim sum!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Update - Kelly and I are now staying at the Courtyard Marriott. Checked out of the Homestead Suites - as it turned out to have less amenities than we had realized. Apparently you need to provide your own towels, soap, shampoo and cleaning - things we hadn't thought to bring with us.

For those in attendance, the directions from Google Maps include an INCORRECT address. According to the restaurant website, the address is "2 Preserve Parkway, Rockville, MD". Google Maps places the restaurant at 1219 Treasure Oak Court, Rockville, MD‎. I believe that the directions may get you there, but if you're following a GPS, you may want to try the "official" address.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things