• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2010 Candy & Confectionery Conference [PLAN]

lebowits

Would Kerry be willing to share her technique for making transfer sheets again this year??? That is something I would love to learn how to do -

Are you thinking silk screen from start to finish?

Event Update

Updated attendee list as of 10 Jan 2010.

Desperately seeking feedback on the agenda and looking for volunteers to teach/lead discussions.

I'm glad to see the agenda shaping up; I think it looks fine, except that I would like to be in both the concurrent Saturday sessions. I suspect that will be a common sentiment in this group, but I don't see any way to improve it. It isn't a problem, either.

I've got the time off I need from my day job, so I'm a definite 'yes' on attendance and will be paying soon.

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

Kerry

I'm willing to soak up any knowledge you would care to share. My personal knowledge of the process is somewhere between zero and nil.

Steve, is there a little chunk of time where I could describe how to make the screens and demo how to print with them?

Kerry - Do you want dedicated time or to setup a 2nd "track" item on the agenda for day 2?

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Attendees as of 15 January 2010

Yes

lebowits

beacheschef

David J.

chocoera

Marmish

Kerry Beal

RobertM

psantucc

tammylc

pringle007

Linda S

curls

Desperately wanting to

Darienne

Lior

Maybe

Beth Wilson

Desiderio

brokenscale

ChrisHennes +1

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Kerry - Do you want dedicated time or to setup a 2nd "track" item on the agenda for day 2?

I don't know - what do you think makes the most sense?

How about we make it a part of the 2nd day morning agenda. The topic is decoration, and this certainly falls into that. We could have a general discussion about decorations in the first 45 minutes or so, and then you could demo making the transfer sheets. Anyone else have a comment?

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

I don't know - what do you think makes the most sense?

How about we make it a part of the 2nd day morning agenda. The topic is decoration, and this certainly falls into that. We could have a general discussion about decorations in the first 45 minutes or so, and then you could demo making the transfer sheets. Anyone else have a comment?

Does anyone who is coming have one of those Yudu machines? I'm curious to try using one for transfers.

I've not set a registration deadline, but there is a deadline of March 12 to reserve accommodation at our group rates. Given our space, I'm figuring that 20 - 24 will be our absolute max. We're not anywhere near that yet. I'm hoping we'll get a few more committed registrants soon so that we can effectively cover costs.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

ok, put me down for maybe. did you need people to bring equipment (like a melter)

or did we have enough?

Glad to have you interested and hope you will join us. We will certainly need a few people to bring equipment. I have a Chocovision X3210 tempering machine, molds, caramel bars, etc., but having another melter or two will certainly be useful. The kitchen we are using will have all of the standard equipment including bowls, spatulas, etc.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Attendees as of 20 January 2010

Yes

lebowits

beacheschef

David J.

chocoera

Marmish

Kerry Beal

RobertM

psantucc

tammylc

pringle007

Linda S

curls

Desperately wanting to

Darienne

Lior

Maybe

Beth Wilson

Desiderio

brokenscale

ChrisHennes +1

ejw50

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

For those asking about paying the fee for the workshop, I offer two options:

1) hold on to your money until you arrive in April

2) if you want to pay now, send me a personal message, and I'll give you my address

Any monies received before April will be used to pay for supplies we may need, deposits on facilities, etc.

Thank you for asking, and I look forward to seeing you all in April.

If you haven't signed up yet, there's still time. Hotel reservations need to be completed by March 12, 2010 in order to get the group rate.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steve and all:

I'm really looking forward to talking with all of you to learn more about developing my own flavored ganaches and fillings. That's the "put what you learn into practice" part of the weekend that I can't wait to hear. Also - the whole topic of running our own business will provide us all with lots of good knowledge, laughs, and tips we can implement when we return home.

Steve - not sure if I'm driving or flying, but if I drive up I'll bring equipment. I'll be in touch.

Mary

Beaches Pastry

May your celebrations be sweet!

Beaches Pastry Blog

Steve

Check your messages - I just sent you one in regards to an offer for assistance on the conference -

Call me if you wish to discuss

Bob

Bob -

I received a message yesterday from the person you gave my name to. I'll call her back today. Thanks for passing it along.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

You can put Wilma & I into a new category

"Very strong maybe AND desperately wanting to"

Thankfully it is after the big bunny weekend, so we are 98% sure that we can make it. We'll firm up our plans in March.

Art & Wilma

Chocolate F/X

It is in exchanging the gifts of the earth that you shall find abundance and be satisfied - Kahlil Gibran

art@chocolatefx.ca

Thankfully it is after the big bunny weekend, so we are 98% sure that we can make it. We'll firm up our plans in March.

Art & Wilma

Chocolate F/X

Wonderful Art. Can't wait to see you guys. Of course I could always just wander over and visit!

Art & Wilma

Chocolate F/X

Wonderful Art. Can't wait to see you guys. Of course I could always just wander over and visit!

I second Kerry's comment. It will be wonderful to see you both.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things