• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Repeat Broadcasts on Food Network

Shel_B

I've noticed that a lot of the cooking shows on FN are repeats of recently broadcast shows, and many of the shows are years old (some going back as far as 2004). It seems like they're not broadcasting many new cooking shows. Anyone got some insight into this? I hate it when I settle in to watch a show and discover I saw it just a few weeks ago.

shel

... Shel

They do this to save money. Most networks do it. As an off-topic example, Paramount only shot their various "Star Trek" television series for 7 years. At 7 years, they calculated that they had enough of a show catalogue for successful syndication and any more money put into keeping the original show on the air was seen as unnecessary.

A lot of the Food Network programing consists of repeats which don't cost them a production cent. They're saving money. The same show episodes are aired repeatedly during a week. That's airtime they don't have to fill with original programs which cost money to make.

On the one hand, repeats suck, as you've pointed out. But on the other hand, if I miss an episode, I figure I can catch it later that night or whenever they repeat it next.

I suppose you could say they serve a lot more meringue than pie. :cool:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Yeah, you should see food network canada... I think they have like 6 shows and just cycle them over and over with an occasional special thrown in.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

having a given episode repeated a few times during the week is great for people like me who have a DVR that record shows that air at the same time that DON'T repeat . It's s great way to handle coflicts. My TiVo never recorded the original airing of NICA, for example. Always the re-run later Sunday night. This let me record something else during that original time slot.

But yes, a little more original content would be nice. We actually DO get it, thought most of it isn't really cooking shows.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

On second thought, there's a good side to repeats.

I would never have become a fan of Sarah Moulton without the endless repeats of her amazing "Cooking Live" show on the Food Network. The same with Mario Batali and the endless repeats of his "Molto Mario".

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On second thought, there's a good side to repeats.

I would never have become a fan of Sarah Moulton without the endless repeats of her amazing "Cooking Live" show on the Food Network. The same with Mario Batali and the endless repeats of his "Molto Mario".

Yeah, but that was back in the day when there was actual CONTENT on the original FN programing.

Now they just repeat the Catering Dudes, or Guy's Diners and Dives, or Giada's weekends, or Rachel's travels, or Auntie Sandy's (Insert Holiday Here) In A Can ad nauseum. I could watch a Sarah or Mario episode 475 times over to one of any of the above. As a matter of fact, I'd choose the 476th repeat of a Sarah or Mario show over ANY of the above on its first run, any time. God forbid I might actually *learn* something............

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I don't have an issue with repeats, I have an issue with what they're repeating.

I'd be happy to watch old:

Taste eps with David Rosengarten. He made me see the glory of the BLT in his simple yet obsessive study of the sandwich. I loved his shows.

Two Fat Ladies: Say what you will, but I loved those two old birds and getting a glimpse inside drafty old kitchens around the UK was a bonus. They did actually cook, too. Show me Great Britain anytime, and I'll be happy.

Barefoot Contessa: Ina Garten, in my opinion, does a very nice show. She cooks real food that is simple and easy to prepare, takes very few shortcuts but when she does, it makes sense. I still enjoy watching her when I can. She's calm. I like calm.

Mario Eats Italy: Anything out and about traveling the world and cooking is a good thing. Bringing Rooney along wasn't such a bad thing, though a little less acting might have made this show a lot better.

Molto Mario: Of course.

Good Eats: I have enjoyed Alton Brown for a very long time, and was a frequent lurker back when Food Network had fan forums for different shows. That's also when Tony Bourdain had his short-lived show on the FN. I could probably watch a few more old eps of the Eats shows. And they're still showing them. And why not run those old Tony Bourdain shows? Contractual issues or some hurt feelings? I don't know.

Sarah Moulton: Always informative and easy to watch.

I'm sure I missed some others, those that were in FN's early days. But those stand out because I did enjoy them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What I don't like (begging forgiveness in advance because this might be in the wrong thread):

Rachel Ray. It's not what she's cooking so much as her presentation and over the top hand gesturing and delivery. Ray got her big start through heavily scripted grocery-store presentations where a few well-rehearsed jokes and catch phrases along with a little bit of self-depreciation acted as a delivery mechanism for her 30-minute meals. To me, she's like watching a barker at a carnival. I couldn't tell you what she's making or putting in her food because I can't get beyond the presenter to focus on anything else. If she could just tone it down a bit I think she'd be more successful. There is no shame in being a cook, none what so ever. Relax!

Sandra Lee: I guess there's an audience for this, but that doesn't mean she's actually cooking.

Paula Deen et al: If she'd just turn down the Georgia charm just a notch or two below eleven, I could stand to watch, because I love down-home soul food stuff. But she won't, so I can't. That party show of hers: the lap sitting thing just creeped me out. I saw it one time.

Bobby Flay beating up on backyard cooks. I saw in a pie challenge where he took down two elderly women who were the darlings of their community. He beat up on the Mac and Cheese Queen and won. Who dreamed up this show? How is this supposed to further his career or reputation? What's this all about? I sorta liked Boy Meets grill and kinda enjoyed his make-it-up-as-I-go-along way with food, but after trying a couple of those recipes adapted for the FN recipe database, I wondered why and how these made it on to a cookery show. They were okay, though, but I made a mess just like Bobby!

I don't have an issue with repeats, I have an issue with what they're repeating.

I'd be happy to watch old:

Taste eps with David Rosengarten. He made me see the glory of the BLT in his simple yet obsessive study of the sandwich. I loved his shows.

I'd have loved to see that. I really enjoy when there's some explanations about the history of some ingredients, why a certain technique is used. and suggestions for choosing specific ingredients, such as why one potato may be a better choice for a dish than another. Alton Brown does that frequently, and it's really helpful and educational.

Barefoot Contessa: Ina Garten, in my opinion, does a very nice show. She cooks real food that is simple and easy to prepare, takes very few shortcuts but when she does, it makes sense. I still enjoy watching her when I can. She's calm. I like calm.

I like Ina Garten, and her simple, calm, friendly demeanor and the way she cooks. This may sound a little hokey, but it's realy neat to see her with Jeffrey and her friends. I soetimes feel like I'm sitting at the table with them.

Molto Mario: Of course.

Great show, and Mario's showmanship is a treat. Plus, he doesn't seem to take himself as seriously as some other celeb chefs. Maybe he doesn't consider himself a celebrity.

Sarah Moulton: Always informative and easy to watch.

Now that I'm home more in the mornings, I've been able to catch her show. It's an enjoyable half hour. I put Ellie Krieger into the same catagory - she's someone that rarely gets mentioned when talking about the FN "stars" Perhaps because she's low-key and only on once a week.

What I don't like [...]

Rachel Ray.

Sandra Lee:

Paula Deen

I'll agree with all you said, although, to me, Paula Deen is the most annoying.

Bobby Flay beating up on backyard cooks. I saw in a pie challenge where he took down two elderly women who were the darlings of their community.  He beat up on the Mac and Cheese Queen and won. Who dreamed up this show?

You're talking about his "Throwdown" show. Most often it seems that he loses to the local heros. I kind of like the show - I like that he'll go back to the FN kitchen, work withhis assistants and perfect recipes, and then get his ass kicked by the locals. It seems that he tries too hard to make something that's over the top, and i don't know if he, or his assistants, have a really good grasp on some of the dishes they're trying to make. What would happen to Bobby Flay if there were no chiles?

shel

... Shel

I don't have tv service because 1) I'm cheap, and 2) I would waste my life away watching it. However, my mom knows I love Ace of Cakes and so she tapes it and sends it monthly. She'll often include other shows that she likes that are packaged around AoC. Lately she's been including this Sandra Lee lady - WTF! And from 2005 no less - was she worth showing in 2005 any more than 2007?! I kept saying to my spouse, "Just turn it off, she's just opening cans." And we would sit and wait for her to create anything-anything from scratch. It never happened. Now forgetting that the woman who released me from her womb watches and enjoys such tripe, I never would have been able to experience the marvels of that show without reruns :raz: So see...reruns are a good thing.

You're talking about his "Throwdown" show.  Most often it seems that he loses to the local heros.  I kind of like the show - I like that he'll go back to the FN kitchen, work withhis assistants and perfect recipes, and then get his ass kicked by the locals.  It seems that he tries too hard to make something that's over the top, and i don't know if he, or his assistants, have a really good grasp on some of the dishes they're trying to make.  What would happen to Bobby Flay if there were no chiles?

shel

You're right, Shel. I'll give him credit for not winning them all AND for being a gracious loser when he doesn't win, and being equally gracious when he does. My only real complaint is that for some of these people it is their one and only claim to fame, or the one they really excel at and I hate to see people robbed of that sort of thing so easily and through a degree of trickery. The concept that the show is about them, that they're being featured on a Food Network program to showcase their talents, only to have Flay show up with his posse and put these unsuspecting folks on the spot. It's a bit dodgy, I think. I think it would be a better idea to have people from around the country challenge Bobby Flay, rather than him sneaking into their lives unannounced. I do understand it's all meant in the spirit of fun and of course, the challenge gives the participants far more air time than they might otherwise get if they were just being featured. It's just a bit of the principle I struggle with.

But yes I do watch, and really, I like Bobby Flay now more than in the past. He's mellowed a bit with age and experience.

Oops, I slipped a bit off topic, didn't I? While I'm already out there, I'll add one more thing I thought was dodgy. Several nights ago, maybe last night, I watched Robin Miller in a 30*second spot demonstrate how to make guacamole by placing all the ingredients into a zip-top baggy and squeezing the contents, then snipping off the end and squirting the contents into a bowl. She proclaimed it the better way because you didn't get your hands messy or have to dirty a dish (except for the bowl she squirted the guac into, I guess, and the one that held the chips!?!)

But I guess one more plastic bag in the landfill won't hurt anything, right?

Oh hiss and meow! :hmmm: I'm whining too much.

I should go be productive or something.

Edited by Jane Die (log)

I just recently got a basic cable feed, so all this is new to me. For many years I just used the TV to watch movies on video and DVDs. I'm not very impressed with Food Network, or TV in general, although there are some stations that air some good programming. By and large, what Newton Minnow said years ago still holds true today.

shel

... Shel

You're talking about his "Throwdown" show. Most often it seems that he loses to the local heros. I kind of like the show - I like that he'll go back to the FN kitchen, work withhis assistants and perfect recipes, and then get his ass kicked by the locals. It seems that he tries too hard to make something that's over the top, and i don't know if he, or his assistants, have a really good grasp on some of the dishes they're trying to make. What would happen to Bobby Flay if there were no chiles?

shel