• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
aliaseater

Food Podcasts

Leonard Lopate, on WNYC public radio in NY has some wonderful guests talking about food, wine, restaurants, etc. It's a general talk show, so you have to go through the recent archives to find the downloadable podcasts of food-related shows, but it's easy to do and worthwhile.

I recommend KCRW's Good Food, hosted by Evan Kleiman.  The market report and restaurant reviews are LA-specific, but enjoyable nevertheless.  The interviews are entertaining-- often someone flogging a book (ie Ted Allen) but also covering wide-ranging food and wine topics.  I was moved to tears by a segment on eating disorders.

http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/gf

Jen

I agree. Evan's show is wonderful. Highly recommended.

What are you currently listening to that constitutes a rut?

KCRW's Good Food and Lynn Rosetto Kasper's Splendid Table aren't new but still my favorite food podcasts.  Sometimes I like listening to Dave Arnold's Cooking Issues, too.

Edited to add that I've been meaning to give Radio Cherry Bombe a listen but haven't gotten around to it.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

BBC Food Programme, Burnt Toast, Gastropod, Spilled Milk sometimes, Radio Cherry Bombe sometimes

• Like 1

I also really enjoy Cooking Issues. They have an impressive back catalogue. In general a lot of rambling about technical stuff but there's something completely new and interesting you learn from every episode.

• Like 2

Thanks! I love a productive bump! None of these have I heard of all I will try ! I listen to news radio but am on a black out wanting more joyful noise in my space

I just discovered Gastropod, which focuses more on the science and history of food than cooking per se, and it's excellent. Highly recommended.

You can also check out the archives over at the Heritage Radio Network, which hosts Cooking Issues (another of my favorites). There are a ton of different programs/shows to browse through. "A Taste of the Past" is one of my favorites.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip on Gastropod, @btbyrd, I'm enjoying it.

I've also been enjoying Ed Levine's Serious Eats podcast, "Special Sauce."  So far, he's interviewing one guest per segment and seems to do a good job of letting them talk.

• Like 1

I saw this noted on EYB the other day and finally got around to listening to the first two episodes of Yotam Ottolenghi's podcast, Simple Pleasures

The premise is that a different guest visits him to chat and eat a meal.  The first guest was Nadiya Hussain, who won the Great British Bake Off a few seasons back and the second episode features Nigella Lawson.

Not sure if this will just be a limited run to flog his new book, Simple  - his website has a link to a recipe from the book for each episode - or if it will continue.   

The slow-cooked chicken with a crisp corn crust from the Nigella Lawson episode sounds awfully good!

Edited by blue_dolphin To add link to book (log)
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this