• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Peter the eater - Nova Scotia Eats

Thank you for showing me a part of the world I know little about. The photos were wonderful. I think I will see the young miss pushing the rhubarb in her pink stroller for quite a while in my mind's eye. I also really got a sense of ease and freedom about the way you cook. You have inspired me to try a similar salmon "side by side" with the gravlax and ceviche styles. Thank you, thank you for your time & effort.

Wonderful blog, thoroughly enjoyed following along.

Almost tempting me to try doing something with dulse to make it palatable. I saw some packages in the grocery store today.

This week-long blog has been enourmously fun for me, I can't believe I have run out of days.

Me neither, which must mean that I, too, have been having a great time reading it.

You and your family seem to have a very enjoyable life. And, therefore, I probably can give you no better wish than to just keep living and enjoying!

Michael aka "Pan"

Lovely, just lovely! Is your polydactyl cat a male? Both of mine were; one was a tan-ish tabby and the other, his son, was pure white, with gold eyes. Thanks for a great blog!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Thank you for a great blog Peter. Ah, all that wonderful seafood! And rhubarb!

I am reading The Shipping News and I while I know Nova Scotia is not Newfoundland, your blog and that book did seem to go well together :smile:

A few more words and pictures!

As promised, here are some shots from the Lebanese food place:

gallery_28661_4647_82060.jpg

gallery_28661_4647_140156.jpg

gallery_28661_4647_103938.jpg

gallery_28661_4647_91982.jpg

gallery_28661_4647_32007.jpg

And a few points to clear up:

- Pete's Frootique's other store is in Bedford, not Dartmouth.

- My mother-in-law is originally from Forest Hills, NY, not Flushing - sorry Pam.

- judiu: Beryl the cat is an affectionate female.

- heidih: that was actually my son Griffin pushing the pink pram, no worries, they share everything.

- MarketStEl: special thanks for your comprehensive comments.

- jumanggy, little ms foodie and Smithy: here's another kilt shot, can anyone identify this wine cellar? I have never seen such a collection.

Hint: it's in Chicago, been there 20 yrs.

gallery_28661_4647_81327.jpg

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

decorated lobster statues, they are everywhere! What variation on this theme does your city have?

gallery_28661_4647_129084.jpg

Toronto has, or did have moose. They were everywhere for a while, but I think a lot of them got broken.

Just a fabulous blog Peter, thank you. We really want to get down to your part of Canada soon!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

:biggrin:

Thank you so much for blogging. You and yours seem to live up there with a great unanxious grace, and it was wonderful to share that for a week.

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

One more image, courtesy of stevarino. This is a monkfish with its head still attached, and it looks as though it has been skinned. It appears to be similar in size to the one I grilled and shared a few days ago.

Warning! The following is a crazy fish photo!

gallery_42214_4635_75186.jpg

Moe Sizlack

One more image, courtesy of stevarino. This is a monkfish with its head still attached, and it looks as though it has been skinned. It appears to be similar in size to the one I grilled and shared a few days ago.

Warning! The following is a crazy fish photo!

gallery_42214_4635_75186.jpg

I found you! Great Pics! I'll have to spend some time here!

Peter,

I'll add my thanks and praise to the chorus of others. It's been a wonderful read, and I'm sad to see the week over so soon.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

Peter, thank you for inviting us into your world. More health and happiness to you and your family. Hope to see you blogging again soon!

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I'm guessing that is in the cellar of Trotters!

You got it!

Moe Sizlack

Thanks for sharing, Peter. It looks very pretty where you are. Joel and Kim are great, we've met them and had dinner at their place, and have enjoyed Joel's cured meats as well. I also love the mid-east store, and Pete's, and thanks for all the great photos of the farmer's market. :smile:

A lovely week.

My favorite pix are of your kids on the floor with the crab, and of your son pushing the pram + rhubarb. Someone gave our munchkin that same pram.

All that lovely seafood, yum. A week of watching someone else do what I wont dare. Thanks!

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.