• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

formerly grueldelux

Press Pot/French Press Coffee

163 posts in this topic

Weinoo, my guess is that you like strong coffee (which we lovingly call rocket fuel). In my drip machine I'm also at about 1 T for 8 oz.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

Weinoo, my guess is that you like strong coffee (which we lovingly call rocket fuel). In my drip machine I'm also at about 1 T for 8 oz.

I don't really know what is meant by strong coffee.  I like coffee brewed properly, with freshly roasted beans, freshly ground, made with good water at the proper temperature.  No matter the method.

1 person likes this

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

mweinstein@eGstaff.org

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I just made my first experimental pot. 3 Tbl grounds, approx 23 oz water, steeped for 5 minutes. What was strange to me is that the plunger had a lot of resistance for about the first 1/3 of the way down and then suddenly got easier.

Try what I said about lifting the plunger up when you meet resistance, it works.

2 people like this

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

Coarse grind. 37 grams coffee to 24 ounces water (adjust to your taste). Five to ten seconds after my electric water kettle auto shuts, it's at about 205F (195-210 is recommended temp). Pour and stir to set grounds. I like a 6 minute, 30 second brew time ; your mileage may vary.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

May be I am the only one.

French press with ground coffee and water.

Microwave.

press and enjoy.

dcarch

May be I am the only one.

French press with ground coffee and water.

Microwave.

press and enjoy.

dcarch

You remove the glass container..?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

You remove the glass container..?

I remove the metal press, just use the glass container, which holds one cup of coffee. It takes 1 1/2 minutes in my (900w ?) microwave.

dcarch