• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate & confectionary Books

gap

It was my birthday last week and am treating myself to a chocolate book (wild or what?! lol)

I have Greweling and cant decide between Wybauw 1 or 2. I was going to get them both but the third looks interesting and useful so want to get that when it comes out (amazon says october) Im leaning towards 2 because from what Ive read here he uses sorbitol which interests me.

Any advice would be most welcome :)

• 4 months later...

This seems to be the best thread for my question. My wife and I have experience in cooking and baking (and a large cookbook library) but we never tried to work with chocolate. A lot of books were mentioned in this thread but which one would be the best for beginners to learn the techniques and get the first sets of basic and advanced recipes ?

If you're just learning, I would say Greweling's Chocolates and Confections At Home. I really wish I'd had this book when I was first starting. All my questions answered in one convenient place, plus lots of fabulous recipes to play with.

Here's another link to a discussion here @ egullet.

(edited to add links)

Edited by emmalish (log)

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

• 4 months later...

Dhardy dropped me a post yesterday about a new confectionery cookbook just out: Sugar Baby: Confections, Candies, Cakes, & Other Delicious Recipes for Cooking with Sugar. Gesine Bullock-Prado.

Found it this morning in Chapters while looking for May's Saveur (thanks Pierogi) on Mexican food. It looks like a pretty useful book EXCEPT (and I did read this in the Amazon review) it has ALMOST NO PHOTOS. ARRRGGGHHHHHH!

I didn't have much time to look at it and I wasn't going to buy it at full price. Has anyone looked at it? David, have you looked at it extensively? What do you think of it?

Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'd add The Ultimate Encyclopaedia of Chocolate by Christine McFadden and Christine France. I haven't made a bad recipe out of it yet, and it gets quite inventive. Along with the yummies and the absolutely stunning photography, there's a wealth of information about the history of chocolate in Mesoamerica, its first steps into Europe, and all of the techniques involved in proper handling and processing.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

• 8 months later...

I'm looking for some advice for a chocolate book for my partner. He's already got Greweling's pro and home books, and is looking to add something else to his collection, ideally something that will provide him with lots of recipes for centres, with less of a focus on the science or recipe-formulation side of things. Recommendations?

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Geerts - Belgian Chocolates has tons of centre ideas - I find most of them need boosting for the flavour - but the proportions work. There is Wybauw #2 and Morato too.

I enjoy Geerts, but really it's because I like marzipan - steer clear if marzipan isn't a favourite. Shotts is a relatively inexpensive book with plenty of ideas

I enjoy Geerts, but really it's because I like marzipan - steer clear if marzipan isn't a favourite. Shotts is a relatively inexpensive book with plenty of ideas

It is indeed rather marzipan heavy!

Shott's has lots of good flavour combination ideas - but I find the recipe testing has left a little to be desired.

Kerry, if you have the room to bring them, could you bring the Geerts and Morato books to the chocolate conference in March. I would like to take a look at them before purchasing.

Yup - just remind me closer to the time and I'll do that.

Kerry, if you have the room to bring them, could you bring the Geerts and Morato books to the chocolate conference in March. I would like to take a look at them before purchasing.

Yup - just remind me closer to the time and I'll do that.

Will do. Thanks!

I also recommend at least 2 of the 3 Wybauw books. The third is a much more scholarly discussion on ganache formulation and shelf life but the first two have plenty of formulas which are just ripe for experimentation.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Very quickly (someone else might have the books to hand to give more details), Wybauw 1 covers all sorts of stuff around chocolate making (from memory, ganache, caramels, fruit pastes, nut pastes etc & basics like tempering etc) whereas 2 is focussed on ganache formulations.

Sounds about right to me (without actually looking). Another interesting set of books I have are the two Lenotre volumes. They cover all sorts of stuff.

gap and Kerry are right:

TOC for Fine chocolates: Great Experience

1. Characteristics of the most frequently used ingredients
  2. Chocolate processing
  3. Rheology
  4. Shelf life and factors that extend shelf life
  5. Sugar processing
  6. Starting out
  7. Praline recipes based on nuts
  8. Fat-based recipes
  9. Ganaches
  10. Caramels
  11. Nougat
  12. Fruit-in-liqueur chocolates
  13. Marzipan and persipan
  14. Truffles and chocolate truffle balls
  15. Fruit dough
  16. Miscellaneous

Fine Chocolates 2: Great ganache experience's chapter breakdown is a little hazier, but the first 50 pages cover the technical aspects of ganache in reasonable detail, and the remainder is ganache recipes.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Another interesting set of books I have are the two Lenotre volumes. They cover all sorts of stuff.

Kerry - I have been wondering about these books for 6 years now :biggrin: Do you find they are still useful/interesting given the plethora of chocolate and confectionary books released over the past 5 or so years or do they cover generally the same stuff?

Another interesting set of books I have are the two Lenotre volumes. They cover all sorts of stuff.

Kerry - I have been wondering about these books for 6 years now :biggrin: Do you find they are still useful/interesting given the plethora of chocolate and confectionary books released over the past 5 or so years or do they cover generally the same stuff?

Took them out for the first time the other day when looking for champagne truffle recipes. Love them - but don't run to them first for sure. Greweling is my go to.