• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. ElsieD

Ice Cream!

I have the ICE50, the earlier version. I would like a new one and keep dithering between the ICE 100 and the Breville one. Did you do any comparison between them?
  3. Duvel

Dinner 2019

Ella, Sri Lanka: Freshly fried cashews with Curry leaves, followed by a fish curry with chapatis ... Lion Lager to moisten it all 😋
  4. ElsieD

Ice Cream!

@lindag check your PM.
  5. the three w felt stack on top of the ( last one ) that is stainless steel ? and the SS one does not come off ? or are the felt ones under the SS one ?
  6. lindag

Ice Cream!

Unfortunately, there's a paywall to get to the recipe.
  7. Oh, I think the puzzle alone is worth that! @Anna N, do those things have a flat section around the oval hole, or are they cupped over the entire surface? I keep thinking of what we call "cocktail plates" that have a hole to hold one's stemware, so that one can hold the plate with the stemware and have another hand free for eating. The felt backing doesn't make sense with that, though - and neither does having the hole smack in the middle of the "plate"!
  8. shain

Ice Cream!

Perhaps try this recipe by David Lebovitz: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyherald.com/amp-article/20180814/entlife/180819677/ Edit: they mention they use the same machine as you
  9. lindag

Ice Cream!

I got the Cuisinart ICE-100 so I wouldn't have to pre-freeze each bowl. I tried it out yesterday for the first time with the strawberry recipe. It churns for quite a long time....the booklet says approx. 50 minutes. It's kind of loud, like I think all of the machines are. I've been checking various sites on the web for different recipes but I'm stuck on wanting to make creamsicle flavor.
  10. Hello, I wanted to make ganache from one part of coconut creme and two parts of white chocolate. I bought a can of coconut milk, it stood for too long on a shelf, so when I opened it, the white fat was on top and the water was separate. I took out the fat, which was solid, heated it in a microwave, and added it to the unmelted white chocolate. I expected that the resulting colloid (the emulsion) will solidify again when it cools. But this did not happen. The mixture got thicker but it is still fluid. It has been 10 hours or so in a fridge. Could someone explain this? I mean the ingredients are solid by themselves at room/fridge temperatures, why is the emulsion fluid? Or I just did not wait long enough? thanks!
  11. ElsieD

Ice Cream!

I'm curious - which model of the Cuusinart did you buy?
  12. Today
  13. A forced purge happened yesterday. I went out out night before last to get some venison burger out of the chest freezer in the garage so I could make a lasagna yesterday. I had a perplexing moment when I saw that the chicken quarters that I had repackaged and put in there a few days ago were not all the way frozen. Everything else still hard as a rock, though...and since it was already like 6:30 pm I decided to put something heavy on top of the freezer and check it early in the morning. Maybe the seal on the freezer hadn't sealed for some reason? I crossed my fingers and woke up a million times all night long wanting to go check it, but I refrained until 6:15 the next morning. Chicken was even more thawed out. Oh crap. And, Ronnie was out of town. So, I did what had to be done. We have a stand up freezer in the basement that I cleaned out first----it gets ice that builds up on the ceiling and the next two shelves. So, I used my heat gun to thaw that out...took like 2 1/2 hours. I got rid of several older than dirt containers of goodness knows what. And, a bag of popsicles was sacrificed and so were several containers of broth. I came to realize yesterday that I am a broth hoarder. Anyway, I can't tell you how many trips from the basement, up sixteen stairs, through the kitchen and out to the garage and back that I made carrying as much frozen stuff as I could in a laundry basket. I started at about 6:30 in the morning and didn't get done until about 3 that afternoon. Today I feel like I've been run over by a semi I'm so sore. I can't believe I was able to fit all of the chest freezer into the upright. We didn't lose any meat to spoilage or anything. Thankfully. I'm so glad I decided to make lasagna otherwise I would have never known that the great thaw was happening. Here is the aftermath and the newly packed and organized downstairs freezer: And, by the way, after all of that, the lasagna did not get made lol. I'm off to buy a new freezer!
  14. It doesn't sound like a big difference, but the size of the hole is double - calculate the area of a circle (Pi times R2) and its 0.096 mm2 vs 0.196mm2 I switched from a 3 to a 5 on my Grex and was glad I did. Not critical. If your molds are clean and your CB is at appropriate temp I don't think it matters how strong your compressor is. I think mine is 1/3 hp.
  15. Katie Meadow

Unusual & unknown kitchen gadgets

Definitely not worth $5.99.
  16. lindag

Ice Cream!

So, on a whim I bought a new ice cream machine and I want to make some different flavors. Yesterday I tried my hand with a recipe for Strawberry Ice Cream from the Cusinart recipe booklet that came with the machine, Sadly, the strawberries had little flavor. I'm sure that as the berry season progresses the outcome will be better. Next I want to try to make an Orange Creamsicle ice cream...I remember how good those creamsicles were when I was a kid. Any one have a recipe for this that tastes like the real thing?
  17. pastrygirl

Colored Cocoa Butter

Very sad. But I have to say the chocolate itself looks pretty rough. If that is dark chocolate, it looks like the chocolate may be out of temper. Did they contract and pop out nicely except for the cb or did the molds take a beating to get the pieces out?
  18. Jim D.

Colored Cocoa Butter

I should have said that yes, it did taste burnt and smelled definitely "off."
  19. pastrygirl

Colored Cocoa Butter

You should still be able to temper it, just strain out those hard bits (as long as it doesn’t taste burnt)
  20. felt side down...? base for a two light chaffing dish?
  21. Jim D.

Colored Cocoa Butter

In my experience you can do that as long as the cocoa butter wasn't heated so high that it burned. The telltale sign of that is little hard bits in it that won't dissolve. The first time I overheated c.b., I didn't realize what had happened and kept trying to heat and retemper, but the bits remained.
  22. John has the same reaction to eating and it usually lasts 15-20 minutes. He says "It's the blood rushing to my stomach to digest the food".
  23. keychris

Colored Cocoa Butter

Yup, melt it out, stir whilst cooling to 31-32C and you should be fine. I melt all of mine back to 45C and retemper like this with no issues. I store mine vacuum sealed to protect from moisture , they last for ages.
  24. I usually have salads in the morning after my workout. This really makes me feel fresh and at the same time it's healthy as well. You can also try various soups in the morning to rejuvenate your mornings
  25. sbain

Colored Cocoa Butter

Sad night. I just made a big batch of bonbons where my colored cocoa butter stuck to my molds. Tragic i think i might might have overheated my Chef Rubber bottle in the microwave and lost my temper? Is there a way to salvage the bottle of CB? Can I melt the whole bottle up to 122F then table it down to 82F (like dark chocolate?)
  26. Yes.沙 茶酱 (shā chá jiàng) Shacha Sauce. The 沙 means 'sand' referring to that grainy texture you describe. Could be duck blood, but pig's blood is more common.
  1. Load more activity