• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Things Blueberry

Suvir Saran

Omg, I totally forgot about this recipe.  I have tons of blueberries in the freezer too.  But, I'm sure the WW points on these would be too high.  No blueberry muffins for me, but please enjoy.  This recipe is so good.

I punched it into NYC, and as is, it's 5.2 points per regular-sized muffin. If you replace 1/2 cup flour with whole wheat flour, and reduce the sugar to 1/2 cup (I often reduce sugar by 25-50%), then it's 4.6 points per muffin.

Totally do-able with WW if you can limit yourself to half a muffin, or if you make mini-muffins and only eat one each time. That's what I used to do when I was actually making an effort with WW. Then I'd freeze the rest in WW portion sizes, or take the rest into work (where they could do damage to other people's waistlines).

Beanie and Pam R.: I'll try the flour tossing trick! I'll try it with pancakes, first (but I'll do the blueberry sprinkling trick after that), just to see what happens.

I dug thru my recipes and found it!!  Yay.

Anyway, I love these.  This is from an article in Glamour mag( 1993)

Author: Jany Kirby RD

Enjoy.

I'd like to make this, but only have access to frozen wild blueberries. Is there something I should do to the berries to help prevent bleeding when I add them? So far I've only used them in blueberry pancakes, and I always get bleeding, even when I add them at the very last minute and stir very lightly.

Another option is to put them in a sieve and run cold water over them until the water runs clear. Then shake to get most of the water off and add.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I always add my frozen blueberries into recipe without thawing. What is the reason for thawing?

eta: If you're in Canada and have a Food Basics, they have Equality Bags of frozen WILD blueberries for 1.99. I've never seen them that cheap. I bought a 600g bag of Woodland Wild for 3.99.

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

• 6 months later...

I guess Mother Nature knows all--after a record year for winter snowfall, I was expecting a lean summer for fruits and vegetables. Well, the opposite seems to have happened. Our cherry and blueberry crops have produced huge amounts of large sweet berries. That bodes well for later this month when our local wild huckleberries are at their peak.

Yesterday I made my version of a Blueberry Crostata. I used my basic pastry crust recipe with a few changes. I had a swallow of cream left from another recipe so I combined it with some ice water as the liquid binder for the pastry dough. That little bit of cream resulted in a very "creamy" tasting crust. It reminded me of the flavor of "cream biscuits." I also added a few drops of apple cider vinegar to boost the flakiness of the finished pastry crust.

The filling was a basic blueberry pie mixture of berries, sugar, flour, butter, salt, a dash of lemon juice and a few sprinkles of cinnamon and nutmeg. The topping was a simple mixture of butter, flour, sugar and salt.

Most Crostata's I've seen in bakeries don't have a wide overlap of pastry dough around the edges. I happen to like the wider overlap because it helps contain the filling and I'm mad for the taste and texture of flaky pastry crust. I brushed the Crostata with a egg wash and sprinkled it with demera sugar before it went into the oven.

It was incredibly delicious with blueberries. With huckleberries, I can't wait.

gallery_41580_4407_30586.jpg

gallery_41580_4407_29858.jpg

gallery_41580_4407_4314.jpg

gallery_41580_4407_22515.jpg

David,

Looks great! Crostadas are my favorite things to bake in the summer. They don't require the commitment of a double crust pie and they really show off the fruit. Unfortunately for New Yorkers, even the blueberries we get at the farmer's market these days are pretty wan.

I have been enjoying your bumper cherry crop this season, though!

Very nice! The blueberries are running a little late this year here but it's looking like it's going to be great in about another week or so. I went out scouting today and picked 2 gallons but it took a lot longer than normal. Most are just starting to ripen or still green.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 cups flour

2 tsp powder

1/2tsp salt

1/2 cup butter( softened)

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1/3 cup milk

2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

Oven to 450.

combine dry ingredients in bowl, set aside.  cream butter, sugar till fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time. add flour and milk, mix until well blended.  stir in blueberries.  sprinkle tops with sugar.  bake 5 min, reduce heat to 375, make 30-35min.   makes 12 medium or 8 jumbo.

I've also made these in mini loaf pans.  So good.  Rich and buttery.

Enjoy.

I'd like to make this, but only have access to frozen wild blueberries. Is there something I should do to the berries to help prevent bleeding when I add them? So far I've only used them in blueberry pancakes, and I always get bleeding, even when I add them at the very last minute and stir very lightly.

Omg, I totally forgot about this recipe. I have tons of blueberries in the freezer too. But, I'm sure the WW points on these would be too high. No blueberry muffins for me, but please enjoy. This recipe is so good.

I'm wondering if this recipe made in loaf pans would freeze well. I need to make things to freeze ahead at this point and wondered about blueberries. I still have 2 pounds unfrozen. Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

2 cups flour

2 tsp powder

1/2tsp salt

1/2 cup butter( softened)

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1/3 cup milk

2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

Oven to 450.

combine dry ingredients in bowl, set aside.  cream butter, sugar till fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time. add flour and milk, mix until well blended.  stir in blueberries.  sprinkle tops with sugar.  bake 5 min, reduce heat to 375, make 30-35min.   makes 12 medium or 8 jumbo.

I've also made these in mini loaf pans.  So good.  Rich and buttery.

Enjoy.

Omg, I totally forgot about this recipe. I have tons of blueberries in the freezer too. But, I'm sure the WW points on these would be too high. No blueberry muffins for me, but please enjoy. This recipe is so good.

I'm wondering if this recipe made in loaf pans would freeze well. I need to make things to freeze ahead at this point and wondered about blueberries. I still have 2 pounds unfrozen. Thanks.

Yep, they'll freeze well. The last time I made them, I made them into mini loaves.

I never would have thought of putting lemon juice into my blueberries... but following some of the earlier suggestions in this thread I made a blueberry pie yesterday - a basic sugar pastry pressed into the pan (my recipe is far too soft to roll out)... I boiled up one punnet of blueberries with lemon juice, sugar and cinnamon. Then I thickened it with cornstarch and mixed the second punnet of blueberries into it, and I poured it into the crust and crumbled the rest of the dough on top. It was DELICIOUS!

• 2 weeks later...

Made two batches of mini-loaves with the Blueberry Muffin recipe from Randi which she originally found in Glamour Magazine.

The first batch I messed up royally. Came out that purple gray color. Strictly my fault. Resolved: never run to another room to answer the phone while mixing muffins because your DH has taken the portable from its stand in the kitchen.

Second batch: bee-oo-ti-full. Lovely little loaves with nice pale crumb and whole blueberries in them...mixed in frozen as directed.

A breakfast treat for DH? Not quite. Now he tells me that he doesn't like cooked blueberries anyway and he doesn't like cake muffins and he thinks the recipe is too sweet. And I didn't put nuts in them and he likes nuts in everything. End of report.

I say, let him make his own muffins! :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I made over 2 dozen blueberry muffins last night.  Still  have a pound or just a little  more still left.

What can I make with them?  Something simple but special.

Any ideas???

My favorite is Limoncello and blueberry trifle, simple and easy and very delish! I'll post the recipe if you would like it.

My favorite is Limoncello and blueberry trifle, simple and easy and very delish! I'll post the recipe if you would like it.

Oh my! I would like :wub: . Alas I have no limoncello. Can you suggest a substitute?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Oh my! I would like :wub: . Alas I have no limoncello. Can you suggest a substitute?

Hi Darienne,

Limoncello is available from most supermarkets, I belive you can make it using vodka infused with lemons, it's supposed to be quiet simple although I've never tried it! You could use a good lemon cordial I suppose or perhaps just sweetened lemon juice?

the method I use is as follows;

flaked almond

1 large lemon

Limoncello

about 150g blueberries

small tub of whipping cream

small tub of creme fraiche

small tub of mascarpone

icing sugar

corn flour

water

madeira cake

cut the cake into about 1/2 inch cubes and place in bottom of a glass dish

sprinkle with limoncello so cake soaks up the liquid.

mix about 1 tablespoon of cornflour with some cold water then on the stove place blueberries and about a cup of water heating gently (you can add more water if needed) add the corn four mix a little at a time until the blueberries juices are thicken and coat the back of the spoon, try not to over cook they need to just release their juice but not burst, so you should then have a thick blueberry sauce with whole berries in it, you can add a little sugar if you have a sweet tooth but I never do.

Spoon the blueberries over the madeira cake and add a few flaked almond is you like a crunch, I don't always it depends! cool in the fridge.

Whip the cream and then add add about 2 tablespoons of creme fraiche and 1 tablespoon of mascarpone mix together and add icing sugar to taste, then add 1 tablespoon of limoncello and the rind of the lemon mix until light and fluffy, I do this so often I can't give exact amounts but you can add a little more of the mascarpone and creme fraiche if you think it needs it.

Spoon over the blueberries and top with almonds.

I also use the topping as a desert on it's own served with amaretto biscuits.

thinking about it I suppose you could soak the cake in a lemon syrup made from the lemon juice as an alternative to limoncello and if you still wanted the boozy kick just add a little vodka! :biggrin:

Edited by Jossa (log)

Hi Darienne,

Limoncello is available from most supermarkets, I belive you can make it using vodka infused with lemons, it's supposed to be quiet simple although I've never tried it! You could use a good lemon cordial I suppose or perhaps just sweetened lemon juice?

the method I use is as follows;

flaked almond

1 large lemon

Limoncello

about 150g blueberries

small tub of whipping cream

small tub of creme fraiche

small tub of mascarpone

icing sugar

corn flour

water

madeira cake

cut the cake into about 1/2 inch cubes and place in bottom of a glass dish

sprinkle with limoncello so cake soaks up the liquid.

mix about 1 tablespoon of cornflour with some cold water then on the stove place blueberries and about a cup of water heating gently (you can add more water if needed) add the corn four mix a little at a time until the blueberries juices are thicken and coat the back of the spoon, try not to over cook they need to just release their juice but not burst, so you should then have a thick blueberry sauce with whole berries in it, you can add a little sugar if you have a sweet tooth but I never do.

Spoon the blueberries over the madeira cake and add a few flaked almond is you like a crunch, I don't always it depends! cool in the fridge.

Whip the cream and then add add about 2 tablespoons of creme fraiche and 1 tablespoon of mascarpone mix together and add icing sugar to taste, then add 1 tablespoon of limoncello and the rind of the lemon mix until light and fluffy, I do this so often I can't give exact amounts but you can add a little more of the mascarpone and creme fraiche if you think it needs it.

Spoon over the blueberries and top with almonds.

I also use the topping as a desert on it's own served with amaretto biscuits.

thinking about it I suppose you could soak the cake in a lemon syrup made from the lemon juice as an alternative to limoncello and if you still wanted the boozy kick just add a little vodka! :biggrin:

Hi Jossa,

Wow! Sounds like a lovely dessert.

a) we live in Ontario and if Limoncello has alcohol in it, you won't get it in a supermarket. Friends in Utah were making Limoncello from lemons and vodka as we were leaving in May.

b) the cost of mascapone puts it out of my snack bracket unless I make my own

c) wouldn't know where to find creme fraiche in our small nearby city. Again I could make my own and have done so

d) ditto for the cake...except that I have never made one

e) root canal work yesterday on top of everything else going on precludes making this cake for the weekend.

HOWEVER! I will make it one of these days and thank you so much for sending it. :wub: A close friend has a birthday at the end of August and this sounds like a wonderful surprise cake for her.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.