• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Things Blueberry

Suvir Saran

I bought another pound of blueberries today. Washing them, I had such a wonderful food memory...

Growing up in PA, I ate a snack cake from Old River Road Bakery all summer, every summer. Basic buttery cake, lumps of blueberries all over the top, some crumb topping and a very thin drizzle of icing. How I wish I had that recipe! The bakery has since closed.

• 1 month later...

I'm in NH and fresh blueberries are in their glory. Does anybody have any real killer recipes for using blueberries (cake, muffins, etc.)?

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

Sorry, I meant to ask my friend for her blueberry pie recipe when I first saw that post. I just sent her an email. It was amazing. You make a cooked blueberry sauce and add it to fresh uncooked blueberries. Hopefully, I'll be able to post the recipe soon.

I know when adding them to batters, you should dust the berries in flour. This helps keep the surrounding area from discoloring and keeps the blueberries from sinking.

I love to make a very simple fruit salad of melon (cantaloupe or watermelon primarily) and blueberries .

Snowangel has a wonderful Blueberrie Pie recipe in recipegullet.

I like to broil blueberries and put it over pund cake or ice cream. Combine blueberries, some sour cream and brown sugar. Put under the broiled until it is warm and bubbly. You can also do this on the grill.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Blueberries and lemon are a favourite combo. I sometimes add lemon zest or candied lemon peel to my blueberry pies. In a saucepan, partially smash a pint of blueberries and bring to a boil with with some sugar (1/4–1/3 cup) and a splash of water; simmer for 5 minutes; remove from heat and stir in another pint of blueberries; cool and use as a glaze for lemon pots de crème, lemon curd tartelettes, etc. The berries are also great mixed with peaches or nectarines in cobblers; I've had success with this one. One use I don't suggest is in clafoutis; the fruits are so small they seem to get lost.

Truth be told, my favourite way to eat blueberries is fresh. A small bowl of wild blueberries with a dollop of crème fraîche or goat milk yogurt and a drizzle of blueberry honey is close to heaven.

I keep making blueberry pie. Take 2 pints of blueberries. In a saucepan, combine 1/2 cup of blueberries and 3/4 cup sugar and cook until sugar is dissolved and the blueberries have broken down. Add a slurry of corn starch and warm water (3 tablespoons each) and continue to cook until the blueberries run clear and have thickened. Take blueberries off stove and add zest of one grated lemon, some cinnamon and nutmeg. Then add all the remaining berries and fold them in. This mixture can be used to fill a single 9" pie, mini tarts or even puff pastry to make turnovers.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I just love this blueberry crumb cake!!! It just overflows with blueberry goodness. From the August 2003 Gourmet:

3 cups all pourpose flour

1 cup plus 2 tbls sugar

2 tsp baking powder

3/4 tsp baking soda

3/4 tsp salt

3/4 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp nutmeg

1-1/2 sticks plus two tbls cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

1 cup sour cream

1-1/2 tsp vanilla

3 cups fresh blueberries

375 degree oven

Whisk flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon & nutmeg in a bowl. Blend 1-1/2 sticks butter into flour until mixture resembles coarse meal.

Transfer 1-1/2 cups flour mixture to another bowl for crumb topping. Add remaining 2 tbls butter and remaining 2 tbls sugar to crumb topping, then blend until large lumps form.

Whisk eggs, sour cream and vanilla, then add to remaining flour mixture, stirring until just combined. Fold in blueberries and spread batter into buttered 13x9x2 pan. Sprinkle batter wthe crumb topping.

Bake 40-45 minutes.

I keep making blueberry pie.  Take 2 pints of blueberries.  In a saucepan, combine 1/2 cup of blueberries and 3/4 cup sugar and cook until sugar is dissolved and the blueberries have broken down.  Add a slurry of corn starch and warm water (3 tablespoons each) and continue to cook until the blueberries run clear and have thickened.  Take blueberries off stove and add zest of one grated lemon, some cinnamon and nutmeg.  Then add all the remaining berries and fold them in.  This mixture can be used to fill a single 9" pie, mini tarts or even puff pastry to make turnovers.

Interesting. I just toss the blueberries with sugar (tho' sometimes none at all) and flavourings (usually cinnamon and/or lemon zest), pile them into a pie shell and bake. But I always use wild blueberries, which are tiny and not very juicy. Can see where cultivated berries would require a thickener.

I keep making blueberry pie. Take 2 pints of blueberries. In a saucepan, combine 1/2 cup of blueberries and 3/4 cup sugar and cook until sugar is dissolved and the blueberries have broken down. Add a slurry of corn starch and warm water (3 tablespoons each) and continue to cook until the blueberries run clear and have thickened. Take blueberries off stove and add zest of one grated lemon, some cinnamon and nutmeg. Then add all the remaining berries and fold them in. This mixture can be used to fill a single 9" pie, mini tarts or even puff pastry to make turnovers.

This sounds very similar to my friends recipe. She responded to my email that she doesn't want to share the recipe :( but this one does sound very close to what we ate.

Cobbler, pie, pancakes, in a sauce over anything lemon (cheesecake, tart), an alternate to caramel in creme caramel.

They freeze extraordinarily well, too. I rinse them, then place on a sheet pan in the freezer until solid. Once they're solid, I bag 'em up and vacuum seal, and it's blueberries in February.

Or you could send some to me! :biggrin:

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Add fresh blueberries to cream scones, lemon-yogurt cheesecake, or a compote comprising cantaloupe, peaches, and pears.

Look forward to eating a Buckle, a Brown Betty, a Grunt, a Blueberry-Lemon Custard Tart, fresh churned Ice Cream, a Bread Pudding Soufflé. Use them in Jasper White's delicious Brown Bread Pancakes. One of the breakfast staples in my refrigerator is Whole-Blueberry Syrup which I make every 2-3 weeks year round and spoon most commonly onto my porridge, or, occasionally, onto Belgian Waffles. (I freeze 40-50 pounds of wild blueberries every August.)

Prepare a Raspberry-Blueberry Crème Fraîche Tart.

Emily Luchetti's Blueberry Steamed Pudding (printed in Stars Desserts) -- puts forth the full spiced impact of cooked blueberries.

One of the most memorable blueberry desserts I've enjoyed at a hotel restaurant: Blueberry-Orange Compote w/ Lemonade Sauce & Cinnamon I.C. The compote was served in a crisp cookie cup.

For the savoury table, add fresh blueberries to a prepared Veal Ragout. Surprisingly compatible flavours!

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

• 9 months later...

this sounds pretty sublime...

you may be able to pick up a miniature.

otherwise, would a lemony liqueur work? lemons and blueberries are good together.

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

this sounds pretty sublime...

you may be able to pick up a miniature.

otherwise, would a lemony liqueur work? lemons and blueberries are good together.

Maybe some lemoncello (sic)

that may work .... any ideas?

I bake there for I am....

Make food ... not war

I am making a blueberry compote and I would like to add some liquor. (nothing to expensive)

any suggestions..

thanks.

Creme de Cassis too close/sweet?

On the other end of the spectrum, how about gin? That would liven things up--herbally, bright .. yum!

Richard W. Mockler

Seattle

I will, in fact, eat anything once.

Limoncello or Amaretto. Almond-Blueberry is delicious together.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I recently did a blueberry dish that I used a late harvest zinfandel.

Butter, sugar, blueberries and the zin, then let it simmer away until nice and saucy. Put it over a puff pastry round, sabayon and mascarpone sorbet. Absolutely killer.

remembered overnight, I had blueberries a while back (in fact, it must have been last summer :wacko: ) that were very flat tasting.

I made a compote using balsamic vinegar (just a cheap brand) and a little sugar... end result was very nice

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam