• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hangover Breakfast Solutions

tommy

the "breakfast" thread started getting some entries for "hangover" breakfast. it seems that those who have see the bottom of many bottles the night before tend to approach breakfast in a completely different manner than they would had they not been tipping.

for me, the hangover needs orange gatorade and an egg sandwich with pork fat and cheese.

any other cures out there? help me out, 'cause it's prom night (thursday) at 8.30 PM, and i'm already getting the feeling tomorrow isn't going to be a picnic. :blink:

HANGOVER_graphic.gif

Sorry, tommy, I haven't had a hangover in decades. But I remember that congee with dates and lamb with you tiao (Chinese fried dough sticks) is a traditional hangover breakfast.

How do you get your pork fat into the sandwich? A good scmear of lard or just some streaky bacon?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Ah, all these experts on the board, and finally, an area in which I have a certain expertise! LOL.

Pork roll ( AKA Taylor Ham) and cheese on a hard roll, and Hawiaan punch. Takes care of the fat and sugar, then bottled water with lemon the rest of the day.

Tommy, years ago a friend and I discovered the "burger cure" as we still refer to it today. A rare cheeseburger w/everthing on it will deliver the relief you will crave. Gatorade is a great chaser, but Coca-Cola or Countrytime Lemonade work very well too.

Celine

Don't forget the hot sauce - lot of it too! And try Emer'gen-C fizzing vitamin drink mix.

Contains lots of potassium and vitamin C - that and three Advil can at least get to me work the morning after. :biggrin:

Monkey

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

Orange gatorade is key, it must be included in all hangover breakfast combinations. If that is unavailable try the red. Do not under any circumstances consume the original green flavor.

As far as food goes, you are best served by hitting the nearest diner/greasy spoon.

As far as food goes, these all work well:

Hash browns with onions, cheese, sausage, and chilli. (scattered smothered, covered, and corrupted)

Huevos Rancheros

Biscuits with sausage gravy.

Corned beef hash with louisiana hot sauce and fried eggs with toast.

BLT w/ lots of mayo

Country ham and red-eye gravy with biscuits

White Castles (this is only for days when you do not have to go to work)

Good pastrami on rye bread w/ mustard

As you can see these are all quite healthy :blink:

I think Advil just before you go to bed is a huge help. Of course, lots of water too.

Vitamin C in the morning is very helpful.

I heard somewhere caffiene helps to combat the narrowing blood vessels that cause the agonizing headaches. (flat soda probably aids an upset stomach)

Dry toast to absorb some of the poison in your stomach.

I usually can't handle pork roll, egg, and cheese until well after 12.

The Man, The Myth

TapItorScrapIt.com

My "cure" happens on the night, not the morning after. When I get home I try to stay awake for at least an hour before going to bed and drink lots of water. I read somewhere that the body processes alcohol more efficiently when you're awake so I'd rather sacrifice a couple of hours of sleep and get some of the alcohol out of my system. It does seem to work.

I know lots of people tend to crave greasy food the morning after, but my theory is that my liver is having enough trouble dealing with the alcohol already so I shouldn't give it any more trouble by eating grease. I don't have coffee either... often I've woken up with a slight hangover only to drink a cup of coffee and end up with a nasty headache... probably related to the above. I'd rather be tired than have a headache (am not fond of taking painkillers).

If you remembered to take a painkiller before going to sleep you weren't drunk. Not really.

Irn-bru (foul orange fizzy drink) would be the scottish equiv. of gatorade.

But for bad situations I find ice cream very helpful.

Easy to swallow, emollient on the stomach.

Basically fat & sugar - and doesn't block the sink if you throw up.

Wilma squawks no more

Menudo - great because it's always avilable on saturday and sunday.

Rare steak and eggs, lots of hot sauce.

Ice coffee, or my favorite, the Crack-rockaccino - as many tall shots of espresso that one can fit into a glass with ice, drunk as fast a possible.

yeah!! seriously kim, no egg?  that's, like, un-new jerseyan.

Yeah, every time I order it, t he counterman questions me: "NO Egg?"

I have an issue with yolky eggy slimy stuff while in the throes of a major HO, so I skip the egg. I agree, however, that it seems un-Jerseyan to do so...I will ride two extra exits while singing "found myself a gun" for penance.

General Hangover question -

And, are they worse on beer, wine, whiskey, rum, etc?

I've found my wine hangovers to be by far the worst. That shouldn't be logical, because we're dealing with specific measures of alcohol which can be clearly defined.

A bottle of decent wine is about 3.5 oz of alcohol, two mixed drinks will be about the same, as will a six pack of beer or four pints. Run the BAC example on a person for each of the mixes, and blood alcohol should be the same

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I've found my wine hangovers to be by far the worst. That shouldn't be logical, because we're dealing with specific measures of alcohol which can be clearly defined.

I believe it's b/c of what else is in the alcohol.

Wine has tannins in it ( red wine has more than white) that make the hangover worse.

So, red wine is meant to produce the worst hangover, beer is somewher in the middle, and clear spirits do the least harm (relatively speaking) b/c they are basicly pure alcohol.

It's meant to help if you drink your spirits with fruit juice, i.e vodka and orange, b/c you're giving your body a little water and vitamin C to help combat the effects of the alcohol.

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.

Menudo - great because it's always avilable on saturday and sunday.

ABSOLUTELY!

But, menudo comes in the morning. Washed down with ginger ale. Gatorade has a tendancy to make some of us relive the magic. That's bad, very bad. :blink:

The night before, after drinking but before hitting the pillow, drink lots and lots of water and take 3 aspirin (concentrate, it can be done).

Now Tommy, you must know that if the beverage of choice that brought you to this regretful state is TEQUILA, sorry, all bets are off. Nothing short of a deprivation tank and time will help you. If that isn't available, initiate some type of prayer with the porcelin God when you get home. Then, pull all your shades. Forget about the aspirin. Sip the water slowly, and make sure another glass of water is on the night table (a cold compress wouldn't be a bad idea). Make sure a bucket is on standby, and God be with you. :wacko:

I've found my wine hangovers to be by far the worst.

I'm sitting here having taken in a substantial quantity of wine.

I was expecting to feel deplorable but though my body is clearly affected by the central processing time for this I feel ok.

By contrast I find beer (say at 5% by volume) in quantities of over 5 pints to often leave me with little zest for life - in fact it leaves with little save a zest for lard. I think this is a message from my body telling me not to drink too much beer but to stick to wine. I think it is due to dehydration.

I am looking forward to lunch.

Edit: you do not need to know exactly how much I drank - it was excessive but not life-threatening.

Wilma squawks no more

• 2 weeks later...

the best thing for a hangover is to drink heavily the night before.....

I think all the ideas already posted were very good. I find it is important to re-hydrate with water, iced tea, apple juice or gaterade. Then you will need to add food; I find bread foods work best - pancakes, and french toast. However fried egg, pork roll, and cheese on a hard roll sounds great!

A strong bloody mary may be good as well. - "a bit of hair from the dog that bit you"

Cheers!

Coffeetaster

"Wine give rise to dreams: Coffee to thoughts"