• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hangover Breakfast Solutions

tommy

This morning, at 6 AM, I was thinking of this thread, and I stopped at McD's ( :shock: ) and had a hash brown, an orange juice, and a bacon egg and cheese bagel sandwich. I needed it.

Noise is music. All else is food.

my hangover cures: do any or all of these.

before sleep: gatorade, pedialyte, water, nothing carbonated though. also take about 4 ibuprofen.

day after: sex (scientifically proven), ginger ale, strong black coffee, marlboro reds, and a bong rip or two of some GOOD pot (careful, too much and you feel worse, i've found. stay away from shwag, headache city) and lots of water throughout the day, as well at a steaming shower.

foods: anything spicy, if your stomach isn't too irritated. i try to stay away from the salt though, wouldn't want to get more dehydrated. i've never found the grease angle to work. when i have a jar of kimchi handy, i down that stuff. usually though, i eschew anything cooked and eat some raw fruit or vegetables.

"yes i'm all lit up again"

General Hangover question -

And, are they worse on beer, wine, whiskey, rum, etc?

I've found my wine hangovers to be by far the worst. That shouldn't be logical, because we're dealing with specific measures of alcohol which can be clearly defined.

A bottle of decent wine is about 3.5 oz of alcohol, two mixed drinks will be about the same, as will a six pack of beer or four pints. Run the BAC example on a person for each of the mixes, and blood alcohol should be the same

No, wine will hit you harder than anything. It's the sugar and the chemical composition of the sugar that gets you. That's why I don't do Night Train anymore. It's too much like Kool-Aid while you're drinking it, but the next morning is straightup Jonestown. Am I right?

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...

my hangover cures: do any or all of these.

before sleep: gatorade, pedialyte, water, nothing carbonated though. also take about 4 ibuprofen.

day after: sex (scientifically proven), ginger ale, strong black coffee, marlboro reds, and a bong rip or two of some GOOD pot (careful, too much and you feel worse, i've found. stay away from shwag, headache city) and lots of water throughout the day, as well at a steaming shower.

foods: anything spicy, if your stomach isn't too irritated. i try to stay away from the salt though, wouldn't want to get more dehydrated. i've never found the grease angle to work. when i have a jar of kimchi handy, i down that stuff. usually though, i eschew anything cooked and eat some raw fruit or vegetables.

Your stomach is never too irritated for the spicy stuff. Nam Sod is still the ultimate hangover cure, take that from someone who has never worked a Saturday lunch sober from the night before. Ever.

If your stomach can't handle massive capsaicin on the day after, then you simply haven't consumed enough booze to anaesthatize the stress of the preceding days. Try to consume more alcohol next time; I recommend Malt Liquor by the can in terms of easy volume.

It's the cause that causes the tummy trouble, not the medication.

Dearest QuinaQuen.......not sure if i agree. I'm familiar with malt liquor, as well it's effect on my stomach. Three 40s of Hurricane or Colt 45 leaves me unable to eat anything the next day. Also, once i "medicated" with a copious amount of grain alcohol (out of a beer bong, on a bet), and couldn't even keep water down for most of the next day.

"yes i'm all lit up again"

No, wine will hit you harder than anything. It's the sugar and the chemical composition of the sugar that gets you. That's why I don't do Night Train anymore. It's too much like Kool-Aid while you're drinking it, but the next morning is straightup Jonestown. Am I right?

*lmao* at this!!!

Dearest QuinaQuen.......not sure if i agree. I'm familiar with malt liquor, as well it's effect on my stomach. Three 40s of Hurricane or Colt 45 leaves me unable to eat anything the next day. Also, once i "medicated" with a copious amount of grain alcohol (out of a beer bong, on a bet), and couldn't even keep water down for most of the next day.

You beerbonged grain alcohol and suffered nothing but a little tummy trouble? I'm afraid a' you. Salaam!

Jeez, I hope so. That X-Men stuff is supposed to be imaginary. Still, kudos for surviving that little bet.

I reiterate: capsaicin is the boozer's best friend.

Jeez, I hope so. That X-Men stuff is supposed to be imaginary. Still, kudos for surviving that little bet.

The thread on chicken fried steak prompted memories of the restorative power of white gravy and biscuits. On our way down to Bandon Dunes in October, my friend Kelly and I accidentally closed the bar at our hotel in Salem, Oregon (Guinness and trip neat Bushmills for me, vodka something-or-others for her - I SWEAR one of us said 'C'mon, we'll go have a drink' at like 10) - hit the sheets at 2:30, up and in the resto for 6. CFS, some absolutely outstanding cream gravy and beautifully fresh biscuits...I suspect the cook wasn't an Oregon native :biggrin:

Todd McGillivray

"I still throw a few back, talk a little smack, when I'm feelin' bulletproof..."

• 2 weeks later...

OK. Now this is a topic in which I have some experience having just quit my job and wound up what my hefty, debauched Italo-Irish colleague and partner-in-crime labeled a "farewell tour" and my wife, more accurately, described as a "three-day drunk." So what we did this morning, after we ate all the Advil, was take the leftover pate a choux out of the fridge (the fat Fenian had previously insisted on making cream puff swans. Jacques Pepin's Complete Techniques. Page 702. Elaborate and pointless. Though less so than the Toad-like Squab. Page 402. Pull the other one, Jacques! But I digress.) and we piped it through a pastry bag into nice hot oil and had ourselves a whole lot of creamy, crispy, airy, sugary, sort-of Frenchy, seriously good funnel cake. And, you know, I'd do it again. Maybe with some leftover port...

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

From my own review:

"The commercial depicts a man dancing in a lame club setting gettin' his freak on, only to awaken the next morning with a pounding headache. Fortunately, our televised hero has Alka-Seltzer Morning Relief and is able to do a full day's work in his cubicle.

Assuming the daunting burden of an inebriated guinea pig, I took Morning Relief on a test drive last weekend. After a night of research (hard partying), I awoke Sunday to try my luck. In each recommended dose of two tablets is a hefty helping of aspirin (1000 mg) and an equally large amount of caffeine (130 mg--over twice the load in a can of Coke).

I dissolved the tablets in a glass of water, dreading a chalky taste. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find a refreshing bubbly citrus flavor. It's no Fresca, but it beats Dimetapp. In any case, Morning Relief is a better health alternative than grabbing for that last six-pack.

Almost immediately I felt a surge from the caffeine, which definitely helped me over that getting-out-of-bed hump that is so common after a long night. But I must say, I prefer ever-potent Advil to aspirin for a hangover headache any day.

Even the Red Bull-level high turned out to be a downer--I crashed after about three hours and was even more listless than before. "

So the verdict is still out. It's probably a good idea if you wake up with a hangover and need quick energy before class, but on the weekends, in the words of a friend, you might as well drink a glass of water and eat a big plate of pasta."

I learned to just stick with the water/painkiller before breakfast and the plate of pasta isn't a half-bad idea either. (From a friend who used to work the line in an Italian place.)

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders