• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: JAZ - Park and Shop

JAZ

We have the same size freezer in our house. I can't stand not being able to freeze EVERYTHING that I want to. How about you? Do you find yourself running out of freezer space for leftovers and such? I have a teenager, so I can just force her friends to eat stuff, what's your cure?

Oh, I completely understand. There are optional freezer items, like the glass bowl that holds ice. When I need the space, the bowl goes away, and I just use ice straight from the trays. Or the bag of sliced bread -- I keep it in the freezer because I just don't go through bread that fast, but it can stay outside if necessary. The wire shelf helps a little -- I can stack more stuff in it that way. But when I've just made stock, for instance, the freezer is crammed so full that I have to dismantle and rearrange it every time I want to get anything out.

Jaz, thank you so much for blogging this week! I enjoyed the the way you introduced a drink before each cooking session. I had been missing out but will pick up one of the books you recommended and expand my repertory. Thank you also for letting us dictate your menu! Those marrow bones looked exquisite!!

I, too, enjoyed your kitchen layout. Oh, and those cookbooks... :wub:

Oh, and how was the class last night?

Edited by Safran (log)

Yes, thank you, Janet.

If you took pictures at the market during your lunch break yesterday ( better weather this time, I hope), I'd love to see them.  Otherwise, in light of the topic Chris A started, do you have any thoughts about prices and quality at the market as compared to supermarkets and the other types of food stores you visit?

How diverse are the demographics (economic, especially) of those who go to your farmers's market?

Yes, I did manage to get a few photos -- I got to the market late, so some of the folks were already packing up. The smoked salmon booth was completely out of fish, so I couldn't get a picture of them, for instance.

This market started last year in a little shopping "mall" in the Financial District. usually this area is filled with tables and benches for shoppers and others to eat lunch etc. It's nice in weather like this, because the mall is covered with a skylight, so it stays dry.

gallery_7258_2197_61989.jpg

gallery_7258_2197_104448.jpg

gallery_7258_2197_59620.jpg

I didn't pick up much yesterday, since I was going out after work -- just a few tangerines and this pastry from the German bakery's stand:

gallery_7258_2197_52228.jpg

As for the prices, I'm a terrible comparison shopper, because it's not usually possible for me to go to several places to get the lowest prices. For instance, Susan asked earlier if the price for bacon at the butcher's is similar to other shops, and I honestly have no idea. (Lemons and limes are about the only thing I comparison shop for, because I go through so many, and they're available almost everywhere I shop.) But I find that the quality at the farmers' markets tends to be high, with lots of organic produce, which I like. I don't mind paying more for that.

Skipping around a little bit, here are a few more pictures of my kitchen storage. Since I work at Sur La Table, I have more cookware than I technically need, but as I tell my customers, "need" is relative.

This is the cupboard next to the stove. It's really convenient to be able to store my skillets, sautepans, saucepans and stockpots right there.

gallery_7258_2197_54605.jpg

gallery_7258_2197_60959.jpg

Above that is what I call "the crawlspace." It's not convenient at all, and I have to stand on a chair to reach into it, but it's a place for the things I don't use often. You can see my ice cream maker and chocolate temperer (with a 9-qt. Demeyere pot I can't fit anwhere else). Behind that is my big coffee maker and some giant tupperware bowls.

gallery_7258_2197_22547.jpg

Most of the rest of my cookware is in this cupboard (the one the cats like -- since it's not finished in the back, they can crawl around. I guess that's the appeal).

gallery_7258_2197_141141.jpg

Since JAZ is adding a new post as I write, this is in reference to the long post with a series of images of the market visited yesterday.

I appreciate the direct responses to my questions & request. I just had an imprecise image in my head of an emptying market with rain-soaked pavement with a Capitol-like building in the background from the beginning of this blog. This must be a different place. In any respect, I think the idea of putting a farmers's market within a shopping mall is brilliant even if the charm of the traditional open-air environment is lost. I suspect shoppers out in search of birthday gifts or a new bathrobe would take the opportunity to buy some groceries on their way out.

The reason I asked about the demographics is that in Washington, D.C. it has been hard for the relatively new farmers's markets to attract shoppers who are not either young, hip & well-educated, foreign-born (& used to their native markets) or relatively affluent.

Let me add that your shot of a neat row of bowls lined up Boy/Girl, Boy/Girl...with duplicate ingredients has to be one of the best visual teasers I have ever seen on this board!

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

On to the tequila class/tasting.

As I think I may have mentioned, I don't know much about the differences between tequilas, so I was looking forward to this class -- not only would we be tasting some new (to me) tequilas, but we'd get cocktails by Dale De Groff. Then I discovered that Dave Wondrich was also there to talk about the history of tequila. What more could you ask for?

It was a great evening, despite the fact that it was pouring during the walk there, so I was soaked by the time I arrived. I got there a little late and missed the first cocktail, which was tequila, blood orange juice, (something else, to sweeten -- triple sec? )and champage. Beautiful drink.

We tasted seven tequilas from three producers/distillers: three blanco tequilas, two reposados, and two anejos. Two distributors donated tequila: Partida and Gran Centenario, so those are what we tasted, with a blanco from El Tesoro added for comparison purposes.

I won't go into detail here, but I'll post some notes and impressions over in the Fine Spirits and Cocktails forum later this weekend.

The other cocktails we tried were the Cat's Eye, which had passion fruit and orange juices, the original tequila sunrise, and a margarita, of course. I'm sorry I didn't get pictures of the drinks -- it was too much to pay attention, take notes and get photos.

I'll say that the original tequila sunrise was a great surprise -- tequila, lemonade, creme de cassis, topped with soda. Very refreshing, and nothing like the orange juice and grenadine version.

After the event, I did get some photos of what I'd begun to think of as the tequila shrine. We were in a big private room that had some offices and storage off to the side. Close by where we were sitting, there was a wire enclosed room with cases of tequila. I'm not sure if they always do this, but they'd lit some candles and displayed some of the bottles.

gallery_7258_2197_89180.jpg

gallery_7258_2197_27916.jpg

It was too dark to get photos without a flash, but in real life it was very cool.

Very cool, JAZ. I can see just enough of the candles to get an idea of what it must have been like. When you get around to posting in more detail in the Fine Spirits and Cocktails forum, I'll be interested to learn what differences you detected in the three styles of tequila. I'm guessing it was more than just the strength of the flavor.

Thank you very much for blogging! It's been an enjoyable week, lit by your fine prose and photos.

Edited by Smithy (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I just had an imprecise image in my head of an emptying market with rain-soaked pavement with a Capitol-like building in the background from the beginning of this blog.  This must be a different place. 

The reason I asked about the demographics is that in Washington, D.C. it has been hard for the relatively new farmers's markets to attract shoppers who are not either young, hip & well-educated, foreign-born (& used to their native markets) or relatively affluent.

There are several farmers' markets in San Francisco (and more in other Bay Area cities, of course). The one I went to on Sunday in the rain is one of the three largest in the city -- the other two being one on Alamany Ave and the one at the Ferry Building, which is the best known. That one gets most of the tourists, although plenty of locals shop there too. The shoppers, overall, are probably more affluent and the products more upscale at the Ferry Building than at either of the other two big ones.

Then there are a few smaller "neighborhood" markets like the one I went to yesterday, with fewer vendors. These tend to be frequented by neighborhood shoppers, rather than being "destination" markets like the big ones.

Back when I started, a couple of you asked me for some of my favorite kitchen gadgets. I haven't forgotten, but it took me this long to get organized.

You've already seen one of them, the Kyocera slicer.

gallery_7258_2197_25597.jpg

The next few are maybe a little pedestrian, but they're still great.

gallery_7258_2197_24131.jpg

My Messermeister scissors. These come apart for cleaning (and after about three years, I can finally get them back together on the first try); the handles are offset a little, so you don't strain your wrist using them; and they're strong -- I use them ffor butterflying chicken. They're also like the Swiss army knife of scissors -- they have a bottle opener and several other features that I never use.

gallery_7258_2197_29447.jpg

My Rosle can opener. It's the "safety" style that opens a can at the seam.

gallery_7258_2197_25308.jpg

gallery_7258_2197_10016.jpg

The Orka "Squid" is a combination basting brush and bulb baster made out of silicone. I admit that when we first got these in the store, I thought they were incredibly silly. But a few weeks later, when I needed to make three or four sheet pans of crostini (at the store, for a class) and saw it in the drawer, its usefulness became apparent. You can fill up the whole body of it with olive oil (or melted butter, or marinade) and baste away without having to keep dipping back into the bowl every time. When you've used all the oil, you can just suck up another bunch as you would with a bulb baster. Very cool for pastry and phyllo dough too.

For cocktails:

gallery_7258_2197_7861.jpg

Lemon and lime presses. If you don't have these, you should. If you only get one, probably the lemon sized one is best.

gallery_7258_2197_14363.jpg

Caper and olive spoons. (I included the lemon for scale; I couldn't find a ruler)

These are not only indispensible for getting cherries, olives, cocktail onions, etc. out of jars, but also great for fishing out the errant lemon seed that slips by the juicer.

But wait! There's more!

gallery_7258_2197_44550.jpg

OXO mini measure. Great for measuring cocktails, which I almost always do. It measures in 1/4-oz. increments on one side -- up to 2 oz. On the other side, you get measurements in tablespoons. And as a bonus, you get ml measurements on the outside. (Terrible photo; sorry.)

End of commercial.

I'd like to thank everyone for reading along this past week. I'm leaving soon to meet my brother, who's in town for a conference, and I'm not sure I'll have time to post after I get back home. I hope so, but if I don't, I wanted to wrap things up.

If I missed anyone's questions, I apologize. I meant to talk more about teaching, but I think I'll start a topic on teaching cooking classes, so we can discuss the subject there. I'll talk a little more about what and how I teach.

One very different thing for me this week was following four new recipes -- well, sort of following them, but it's a lot closer than I usually come. It's something I want to work on, so this was good practice. Thanks for the suggestions and the encouragement.

I hope to see you over in Cocktails.

A wonderful blog, JAZ. Terrific collection of cookware - Blue Le Cruset, Elizabeth David's color. Your kitchen is cosy and efficient and you use it to perfection.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thanks, JAZ... great blog! I guess I'll have to PM you to find out the name of the mall which houses that small farmer's market. San Francisco Centre, perhaps? Also, I am curious about why you got the fixed mandoline rather than the adjustable one.

Lobster.

Loved your blog, Janet, and especially those cool gadgets! I don't think I can live without a "squid". :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Janet, thanks so much for blogging, showing us your markets, your kitchen, your cocktails, and your cooking! That lamb & fennel cassoulet is on my wish-list. And thank you for inspiring me to make chowder for the cook-off :smile:

Edited by Chufi (log)

I didn't pick up much yesterday, since I was going out after work -- just a few tangerines and this pastry from the German bakery's stand:

gallery_7258_2197_52228.jpg

Bienenstich or Bee Sting. That is my 93-year-old grandmother's favourite dessert.

Here is a recipe.

Great job on the blog JAZ.

Thanks again JAZ! And I found my new can opener! My side seam opening one has dulled out after about 8 years or so of use so I am in need of the new one. I'll also be looking for the squid.

Have a great week!

Genny