• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hoagies, Cheesesteaks, Pork Italiano

KatieLoeb

Rich, you had me until I saw the picture. It certainly *must* taste good, because if it tastes the way it looks, they wouldn't sell a single one. Looks like a botched medical procedure.

Nevertheless, I've added to my "to do" list. :-)

__Jason

Edited by guzzirider (log)

Jason:

They really are good, regardless of their aesthetic appeal. I haven't had one in ages and now Rich has me jonesing for one...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Rich, you had me until I saw the picture. It certainly *must* taste good, because if it tastes the way it looks, they wouldn't sell a single one. Looks like a botched medical procedure.

__Jason

Blame my cell cam rather than the folks at Johnny's Hots. I did not do the sandiwich justice. But it was fantastic.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

__Jason

Blame my cell cam rather than the folks at Johnny's Hots. I did not do the sandiwich justice. But it was fantastic.

I think I may have found one even better than the fishcake on a hot dog Philly thing: pulled pork BBQ on a hot dog.

Put some leftovers from Dwight's on a brace o' dogs last week to jazz them up and it was heavenly with a simple dash of mustard.

had lunch with my father and friends at Johns Roast Pork today,

He convinced me to try a bruchetta cheesesteak with sharp porvolone

Can I hear a delicious?

I was against it, since i am a big pork fan, but wow.

try it if you are in the area, also snyder avenue is once again open after an eternity of being worked on, should be easier to get to.

oink oink

Here are a couple of banh mi from Ba Le on Washington Ave.:

gallery_7432_1362_23013.jpg

One of them is chicken and pate, the other is "honey roasted pork": a slightly sweet sausage.

It's shocking how good, and how cheap, these things are: like $3 apiece, and if you buy 5, they'll throw in a sixth for free. Really, you can't afford not to eat them, all the time.

it's actually very simple,

just your bruchetta topping dumped on a cheesesteak with sharp provolone. The bruchetta mix is mixed in the steak so it gets pretty hot and is sooo good. I never knew about it but my father loves them, also don't try to eat the whole thing!

thanks for the welcome, happy to be here

maybe i'm being a bit anal here but, ...........isn't it bruSchetta?

and isn't bruschetta toasted bread w/ olive oil and garlic? the toppings put on bruschetta can vary widely, no?

technically correct on both counts, I think! That said, I think the term has come to signify toast with that chopped tomato/onion/basil/olive-oil mix that one sees most often around here. You know, Italian salsa...

So do they at least say "brew-sketta" ?

Sounds like it would be pretty good on a cheesesteak in any case!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Bruschetta from the Italian bruscare - to roast over coals - makes you pronounce it correctly.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of veggies on cheesesteaks, as posted upthread - Cheesesteak Italian - rabe, roasted peppers and fried onions with sharp provolone - from Dakota Pizza in Wynnewood:

gallery_8050_1946_25443.jpg

...and the "Charlie Special" - tomatoes, onions, sweet peppers and 'shrooms grilled with the meat - from George's food cart at 23rd and Chestnut - the one I eat about once a week.

gallery_8050_1946_17208.jpg

Love the way the veggies steam into the meat, witn no oil other than what's brought onto the grill with the peppers.

How about a coal-fired food cart?

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Here are a couple of banh mi from Ba Le on Washington Ave.:

gallery_7432_1362_23013.jpg

One of them is chicken and pate, the other is "honey roasted pork": a slightly sweet sausage.

It's shocking how good, and how cheap, these things are: like $3 apiece, and if you buy 5, they'll throw in a sixth for free.  Really, you can't afford not to eat them, all the time.

Andrew, those look amazing. I just drove by there yesterday on the way to Carman Country Kitchen and thought I'd really like to try one. What is the dressing or is there any dressing? It does look a bit dry

I don't think banh mi ever have dressing, do they? Anyway, these didn't. But there are enough vegetables and pickles that it stays pretty moist. The shredded chicken is a little dry-- it usually is at most places-- but the pate gives it a richness that makes up for it.

and isn't bruschetta toasted bread w/ olive oil and garlic? the toppings put on bruschetta can vary widely, no?

Somehow I don't think that etymology is a big deal at the pork shack, and that's the name of the steak. try one and you might forget the latin roots of the word too.

I'll sneak in the thread to express great gratitude towards those of you who mentioned DiNic's roast pork at the RTM. It finally got me to go there - I think that'll merit a post in the appropriate thread - and the roast pork with provolone and greens (they looked like spinach greens, not broccoli rabe, sadly) was truly outstanding.

Somehow I don't think that etymology is a big deal at the pork shack, and that's the name of the steak. try one and you might forget the latin roots of the word too.

As Phil says, the meaning of bruschetta has migrated, from toasted bread, to toasted bread with stuff on it, to the stuff itself. Technically, I suppose it's an example of synecdoche. But it's also an example of the American delight in piling more stuff on top of other stuff: contrast the Italian pizza margherita with the all-American Meat Lover's Delite. The topping becomes more important than the thing itself.

Jars of "bruschetta" make Bambino Gesu cry bitter tears, but what are you gonna do? Anyway, adding a layer of tomato/garlic/onion flavor to a cheesesteak would be a good thing, I bet. It reminds me a little bit of that antipasto hoagie from, um, whatever that place is that has it. (Too lazy to look it up right now...)

i live right by all the vietnamese hoagie places so i've been conducting a survey recently. basically that means going to all the different bahn mi places i can find and having at least one of every hoagie! for the most part i've been finding them very much the same. the difference is more in what they offer besides the hoagies. Cafe Nhuy is the smallest and has the smallest menu, but does have the vegetarian option. Cafe Cuong always has some of those crazy vietnamese gelatinous desserts. Cafe Huong Lan has a full menu and tables to sit down.

gallery_52886_4386_91238.jpg

that one is cooked pork (like a cold cut). the pate takes the place of the mayo or sauce.

--

matt o'hara

finding philly

• 2 weeks later...

Helped the parents unpack the car after 3 months in West Palm and was rewarded with a trip to White House in AC.

Remembered to share a photo after wolfing down 1/2 a CS hoagie with fried onions and hot peppers. Cell-phone image quality does not do this masterpiece justice.

IMHO: Definitely the best cheesesteak around...

gallery_28400_4431_26254.jpg

I belch, therefore, I ate...

As Phil says, the meaning of bruschetta has migrated, from toasted bread, to toasted bread with stuff on it, to the stuff itself. Technically, I suppose it's an example of synecdoche. But it's also an example of the American delight in piling more stuff on top of other stuff: contrast the Italian pizza margherita with the all-American Meat Lover's Delite. The topping becomes more important than the thing itself.

Jars of "bruschetta" make Bambino Gesu cry bitter tears, but what are you gonna do? Anyway, adding a layer of tomato/garlic/onion flavor to a cheesesteak would be a good thing, I bet. It reminds me a little bit of that antipasto hoagie from, um, whatever that place is that has it. (Too lazy to look it up right now...)

i just wanted to add that i love you guys. no matter how new-friends we are, i love you all. :cool:

--

matt o'hara

finding philly

I was in Philly last week and stopped by Rick's in Reading Terminal Market. Had a Cheesesteak Wizz Wit OMG!!!! It was freakin awesome. I will be back without a doubt.

I want food and I want it now

• 3 weeks later...

Without getting into the specifics of John's steaks (because cheesesteak discussions are so very very boring), I definitely agree with Bruni on one thing:

It was a glimpse into two trends, for lack of a better word, that I’m pretty sure I’ve noticed over recent years. Or maybe I should say it was a prompt for two questions I have about some of the effects of our food-obsessed times, in which a seemingly growing number of food explorers yearning to find out-of-the-way places, label them treasures and treat them as shrines.

Normally, of course, it's the food critics who go around labeling places as shrines. It must be odd for Bruni to find himself on the other side of the table, as it were.

nice job. to quote mike from the young ones: that was a highly articulate outburst, there.

my problem with situations like this is severalfold:

1. bruni (and others) never follows up in his own comments. many bloggers do this; i suspect they are used to the print world, where you say your peace, and people react, and we all move on. blogs, such as they are, invite conversation. kind of a bummer that we won't hear from him again.

2. when a douchebag like that poster #11 puts up something like that, it always gets my dander up and i get inarticulate.

i think bruni's point is well made though. i mean his main point about how places get to be all this way about stuff. sorry he had to use a bad experience here as an example.

p.s. i'll still go to john's. i think their pork sandwich is damn good.

nice job.  to quote mike from the young ones: that was a highly articulate outburst, there.

my problem with situations like this is severalfold:

1. bruni (and others) never follows up in his own comments.  many bloggers do this; i suspect they are used to the print world, where you say your peace, and people react, and we all move on.  blogs, such as they are, invite conversation.  kind of a bummer that we won't hear from him again.

2. when a douchebag like that poster #11 puts up something like that, it always gets my dander up and i get inarticulate.

i think bruni's point is well made though.  i mean his main point about how places get to be all this way about stuff.  sorry he had to use a bad experience here as an example.

p.s. i'll still go to john's.  i think their pork sandwich is damn good.

It's not clear from the posting, but do you think it's possible he got the pork sandwich without the spinach and provolone? I can see how that might be pretty boring, but add those two and I can't imagine how anyone could write it off as "beige food."