• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hoagies, Cheesesteaks, Pork Italiano

KatieLoeb

It certainly appears to me that Bruni did not get the greens and sharp provolone, and got the small pork sandwich, which is, in fact, significantly less good than the large. I could imagine that their plain pork on the pedestrian kaiser might have seemed "beige." Pity, because a quick perusal of this thread would have steered him right!

I'm surprised about the cheesesteak, I really liked the one I had most recently. I suspect they were already on-edge from the customer service at the counter.

But I can't figure out why they were so mystified by the "with everything" problem. You wouldn't order a pizza "with everything." It's even a risky thing to do with a hot dog, unless you know what the place means by that. You might say that in Chicago, but that's kind of the point of a Chicago dog. I was just at the Charcoal Pit near Wilmington and noticed a sign near the register that explained the changing array that "everything" indicates for the various items you might ask to be dressed that way.

My point is: this is a cheesesteak, not some obscure and exotic delicacy recently discovered in the deepest rainforest. It has been described and discussed ad infinitum, and I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone advising that one go to place X and "get one with everything." Did no one learn anything from John Kerry trying to get one with Swiss cheese?

A couple of years ago I got my first "Pea Meal" (bacon) sandwich in Toronto, and when the woman at the counter asked me what I wanted on it, I told her it was my first one, and asked her what I wanted on it. (Honey mustard seems to be the correct answer.) It wasn't that hard. I suspect she would have given me grief if I'd asked for "everything" even though Canadians are generally exceedingly polite when not wearing skates.

I do see Bruni's basic point, that there's an odd phenomenon of little "finds" gaining mythic status by virtue of their obscurity, and sometimes by virtue of their rudeness. If it's that big of a pain to eat there, it must be good... It's just a shame that he chose to make that point while missing the point at John's.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

happened to stop down at john's today for lunch. and two things:

1. people can overreact. the folks at John's are brusque and maybe easily annoyed, but they're not rude. there are lots of places like that in the world. edited to add: i mean the guy is standing there yelling ANY NON-GRILL ORDERS? ANYONE ORDERING ANYTHING THAT'S NOT FROM THE GRILL? and there's 20 people in line there and the staff is working hard. and you go up and say 'can i get a cheesesteak' from that guy you think he's not going to be annoyed? come on.

2. it's a fan-friggin-tastic cheesesteak. seriously. one of the best i've had in a long time -- i don't get down to john's that often, so i usually just get the roast pork, which i prefer. but today i took the plunge, and even though it was easily twice what i usually eat at lunch i finished most of it. sarcone's roll, hollowed out a little and packed with meat. whoever said they use too much cheese is just plain wrong.

damn that was good.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

happened to stop down at john's today for lunch.  and two things:

1. people can overreact.  the folks at John's are brusque and maybe easily annoyed, but they're not rude.  there are lots of places like that in the world.  edited to add: i mean the guy is standing there yelling ANY NON-GRILL ORDERS?  ANYONE ORDERING ANYTHING THAT'S NOT FROM THE GRILL?  and there's 20 people in there and they're working hard.  and you go up and say 'can i get a cheesesteak' from that guy you think he's not going to be annoyed?  come on.

2. it's a fan-friggin-tastic cheesesteak.  seriously.  one of the best i've had in a long time -- i don't get down to john's that often, so i usually just get the roast pork, which i prefer.  but today i took the plunge, and even though it was easily twice what i usually eat at lunch i finished most of it.  sarcone's roll, hollowed out a little and packed with meat.  whoever said they use too much cheese is just plain wrong. 

damn that was good.

not to be super fussy but it's a great roll and they should get credit, it's a carangi roll unless they have switched since i have last been there. i moved to denver about 6 months ago, everyone here has their favorite cheesesteak place. i am boycotting until may when i am going to john's to get one steak, one roast pork and one chicken parm sandwich. i have alerted my cardiologist that i will be in town.

Edited by taoseno (log)

I'm just glad that my opinion was validated by the mighty Mr. Moore. 

Of course, it's been almost four years-- yow.  Clearly time to try another John's steak.  Because I'm nothing if not an open-minded dude.

Surely you mean open-mouthed, Professore?

For me, the cheesesteak at John's is a Bush Moment type thing. As in , "How can they all not see how right I am?" Easily my favorite iteration of said foodstuff. Ironically, not a big fan of their roast pork.

I'm just glad that my opinion was validated by the mighty Mr. Moore. 

ok i just had a realization: maybe if you're used to a cheesesteak being lubricated by whiz (oh god that doesn't sound good), you expect less cheese than if, like me, you've always preferred the american. american isn't as runny as whiz, and really a steak can hold plenty more of it. so to me, it's fine, but to someone who prefers whiz, maybe it seems excessive. hm.... i think a light bulb just went on here, like when i first realized that there's a difference between fast food burgers and big ol steakhouse burgers. very interesting.

not to be super fussy but it's a great roll and they should get credit, it's a carangi roll unless they have switched since i have last been there.

goddammit, i NEVER get that right. it really seemed like a sarcone's seeded to me, and i thought i had read that before.

Question: Last time I was at a Phils game I got a steak from Tony Luke's and crab fries from Chickie's and Pete's. Having a lightbulb moment of my own, of course I put the cheese for the crab fries on my steak (american/wit out). Different, but delicious. Is this wrong? I say no.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

i think i've seen boxes from liscio's there.  in fact last time i was there, i specifically took note, but now i'm suddenly unsure of my memory.  does that spark yours?

Roll call....

DiNic's uses Cacia's rolls.

Tony Luke's claims to bake rolls on the premises.

John's Roast Pork uses a seeded roll from Carangi's for large sandwiches, and a kaiser roll for the smaller sandwich.

George's on 9th Street uses Sarcone's and Vilotti.

Chickie's Italian Deli uses Sarcone's bread for the large hoagie Tuesday through Saturday; Vilotti bread is used for large hoagies on Mondays, and for small hoagies all week.

Pat's uses Vilotti rolls for the pork sandwiches.

the most useful quote in this thread...

I usually get to a customer site near to Tony Lukes once a week. I decided to do a personal johns/tony lukes comparison and alternated between them for a few weeks for lunch.

For my taste I prefered Tony Lukes roast pork. The texture and flavor of the pork is more to my liking. Additionally I think the chese is much sharper so it stands out nicely.

In the interest of fairness I will say all were ordered with Sharp Prov and no greens (much neater when eating in the car).

Additionally I also always thought the Johns rolls were lackluster, but I now understand since I have only ordered a small.

I have never had a steak from either place, but it is a small break that they push the pork orders to the front at John's.

I usually get to a customer site near to Tony Lukes once a week.  I decided to do a personal johns/tony lukes comparison and alternated between them for a few weeks for lunch.

For my taste I prefered Tony Lukes roast pork.  The texture and flavor of the pork is more to my liking.  Additionally I think the chese is much sharper so it stands out nicely.

In the interest of fairness I will say all were ordered with Sharp Prov and no greens (much neater when eating in the car).

Additionally I also always thought the Johns rolls were lackluster, but I now understand since I have only ordered a small.

I have never had a steak from either place, but it is a small break that they push the pork orders to the front at John's.

I agree with you on your assessment of Tony Luke's pork sandwich, but you really need to try John's steak sandwich (and be sure to eat it there).

• 6 months later...
Recently had a wiz wit from Pat's...as always delicious!!!

gallery_26061_4305_10978.jpg

Plz help!

I am doing research on sandwich shops and I thought Philly would be a great place to start.

Parameters - local chain joints - not those other national other sites.

I've found Lee's. Any good?

other recommendations?

If we're saying local chains, as in two or more shops, I think it would have to go to Tony Luke's. If single stores are included, then the endless debates continues.

Aside from that, I think Lee's is horrible. I'm actually surprised that they've been able to open more than one store.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

If we're saying local chains, as in two or more shops, I think it would have to go to Tony Luke's. If single stores are included, then the endless debates continues.

Aside from that, I think Lee's is horrible. I'm actually surprised that they've been able to open more than one store.

Thank you!

Are you interested in chains (multiple outlets) only, or single-store independent shops too?

Multiple outlet but not the big guys!

Steve's Prince of Steaks. I had a cheesesteak at the Boulevard location yesterday, and it was terrific. You must get to Nick's Original Roast Beef at 20th and Jackson St. The best roast beef sandwich in the city, and they have a second location in Springfield, Delaware County. This topic could support its own thread.

Primo Hoagies is my favorite local chain. Planet Hoagie has served me well, also.

Corporate vs. franchisee ownership as well as store management can cause inconsistancy even among small chains.

Wawa, (the largest local chain - corporate ownership) has some stores where the employees can't/don't read the hoagie build list on the computer screen in front of them. Even when properly executed, the result is just ok. But the stores are usually clean and well stocked.

Good managers hire good staff because they're not threatened. Poor managers hire poor staff so they're not threatened.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.