• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Victoria Day

Pam R

OK. I'm assuming I'm the only one not at the cottage.

Plans for tomorrow include: grilling steaks and chicken and corn; salad, baked potato and... that's it at the moment. Not very exciting, but it can change between now and then.

If anybody is open tomorrow, firworks will be purchased to be set off in the construction site behind the house. :hmmm:

Open to more exciting suggestions though...

Are there traditional foods for Victoria Day?

We almost alway BBQ - for many people it's the first long-weekend to go and open up the cottage - which we no longer have :angry: . I don't know if there are other traditions... hoping others will let us know.

Though being that we're celebrating the Queen, maybe we should have tea sandwiches and scones? :smile:

Well, we're actually celebrating the Queen's great grandmother, but hey. And, the Queen is in Canada at the moment.

Victoria Day is definately a BBQ party type of day. Complete with fireworks in the evening. Victoria Day signals the beginning of summer, even if it's not June yet and so begins the mad rush to cottage country.

Usually, the fare is simple; hot dogs, burgers on the grill, cold salads and of course a beer or two or three. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Well, we're actually celebrating the Queen's great grandmother, but hey.  And, the Queen is in Canada at the moment.

You mean our Queen isn't named Victoria? :blink:

:raz:

Isn't she in Jasper right now? I'd love to be in Jasper with her for Victoria Day ... well maybe just in Jasper for Victoria Day.

Well, we're actually celebrating the Queen's great grandmother, but hey.  And, the Queen is in Canada at the moment.

You mean our Queen isn't named Victoria? :blink:

:raz:

Isn't she in Jasper right now? I'd love to be in Jasper with her for Victoria Day ... well maybe just in Jasper for Victoria Day.

Lol just pretend that's her name. Yes, she's in Jasper right now. Jasper and the mountains for Victoria Day. Oh yes. Perhaps a picnic?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Yeah, well we went to the cottage. Saturday was nice, froze our butts off yesterday and it's no better in TO today. Brrrr. Absolutely no urge to bbq today.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

As Pam mentioned, it should be the start of summer, it is cool and wet out here in the west, but some people still barbequed ... lucky for us our friends were willing to do it! I too have no incentive, not even to plan an indoor party. However if the rain holds, we can do some more outside garden work! Happy Birthday to queen victoria, nice of her to leave us a holiday ... even over here in Canada!

For shame!!

People, you think the weather in WINTERpeg is any better this weekend? The garage door will be opened and the bbq-ing will be done inside. Fireworks may not happen - cuz who wants to do that in the rain, but I shall not forgo the BBQ!!! It's a national holiday! umm... yah,.

Happy Victoria Day. :biggrin:

I'm off to the Pancake House for brunch with family.

I actually got a whole long weekend, which never happens. Neither job needed me for the whole three days. My big plan for the weekend?

Sleep. Lots.

Yesterday I did barbecue, after a fashion. I've recently been given a gas barbecue but didn't have a tank for it (and too broke to buy one, this week) so I went looking for a bag of charcoal. Nobody had that, either, within my immediate area. So I came home and broke up a bunch of dry hardwood limbs that'd been cluttering up the back corner of my yard, and built a small fire in a broken terracotta flower pot. Whizzed ginger, onions and garlic to a paste with my immersion blender, spread that on skewers of pork shoulder, and grilled them one at a time over the tiny fire in the flowerpot.

I could only get about 2 skewers done before refreshing my bed of coals with new twigs, so I spent a lot of time hunched over puffing the fire back into life. As a consequence, I have a few new burns on my hands today and had to trim my beard to get rid of the scorched whiskers (I was due for a trim anyway, mind you). When all was said and done I had fun, provided the wife with some head-shaking amusement, and the pork tasted great. How bad can that be?

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

As Pam mentioned, it should be the start of summer, it is cool and wet out here in the west, but some people still barbequed ...

COOL and WET?? Are you serious?? It was the start of the SECOND FLOOD! :laugh: Maybe I'm just a little sensitive as I was up twice Sunday morning/night tending the smoker. At 2:30 it was raining so hard I was afraid I was going to end up with pork stew!

This morning we're drinking coffee, eating brownies and watching the Victoria Day Parade (in Victoria, BC) on the tube.

chromdome - know what you mean about the charcoal. Anytime I find it I stockpile. It's becoming quite the rare commodity.

A.

chromdome - know what you mean about the charcoal.  Anytime I find it I stockpile.  It's becoming quite the rare commodity.

hmmm... could this be a new business venture for me? I can load up my jeep with bags of charcoal (and cookbooks :wink: ) and drive to BC and sell them on the roadside??? Then fill the Jeep with cherries and sell them on the roadside all the way home..... this could be good people.

I just got back from brunch - it's actually somewhat sunny at the moment (shocking!) but more rain is predicted for later. Still intent on grilling - then out-of-towners will be over for coffee/tea and donuts :raz:

Oh Canada!

Yeah, cool and wet-ish, but we still did it. Have to. It's a cast-in-stone tradition. Did a mixed grill - whole piece of strip loin, butterflied leg of lamb, venison sausages and chicken breasts - with grilled asparagus, a sweet and sour potato salad and tossed green salad. Rhubarb pie and blueberry-apple pie for dessert. Husband insisted on building a bonfire - and it was a good thing - or else we couldn't have sat outside to eat. Then fireworks. Excellent evening all around.

One culinary note, however. I marinated both the lamb and beef in and oil, red wine, rosemary and garlic marinade but added smoked paprika to the beef. It was outstanding.

Guests just left an hour ago and I'm glad to be rid of them. It was fun but I'm still doing dishes.

Until next year.

chromdome - know what you mean about the charcoal.  Anytime I find it I stockpile.  It's becoming quite the rare commodity.

hmmm... could this be a new business venture for me? I can load up my jeep with bags of charcoal (and cookbooks :wink: ) and drive to BC and sell them on the roadside??? Then fill the Jeep with cherries and sell them on the roadside all the way home..... this could be good people.

You hook me up with charcoal, I'll hook you up with Okanagan fruit. :wink:

A.

We went to a BBQ on Saturday and the host grilled chicken. I brought "All American Potato salad" from Cook's illustrated. A watermelon, feta, mint salad. A carmelized onion/spinach dip based on Barefoot contessa's onion dip and a vanilla cake with a mascarpone whipped icing. We also grilled mushrooms and ramps that we picked that day.

Yesterday I made chicken satay, coconut rice and asian slaw.

I'm too embarrased to tell you what I made tonight.

Its cold and nasty here, ick.....

I MISS CALIFORNIA!!!!

I actually got a whole long weekend, which never happens.  Neither job needed me for the whole three days.  My big plan for the weekend? 

Sleep.  Lots.

Yesterday I did barbecue, after a fashion.  I've recently been given a gas barbecue but didn't have a tank for it (and too broke to buy one, this week) so I went looking for a bag of charcoal.  Nobody had that, either, within my immediate area.  So I came home and broke up a bunch of dry hardwood limbs that'd been cluttering up the back corner of my yard, and built a small fire in a broken terracotta flower pot.  Whizzed ginger, onions and garlic to a paste with my immersion blender, spread that on skewers of pork shoulder, and grilled them one at a time over the tiny fire in the flowerpot. 

I could only get about 2 skewers done before refreshing my bed of coals with new twigs, so I spent a lot of time hunched over puffing the fire back into life.  As a consequence, I have a few new burns on my hands today and had to trim my beard to get rid of the scorched whiskers (I was due for a trim anyway, mind you).  When all was said and done I had fun, provided the wife with some head-shaking amusement, and the pork tasted great.  How bad can that be?

That's the most touching post I've ever read on here!!! And probably the most innovative. Your dedication and perseverance earn you the MDG award---Most Dedicated Griller, with tassels, and epaulets and everything. :cool:

Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see what you do with the birdbath.

Edited by racheld (log)

• 11 months later...
Until a customer asked me today if we would be open on Monday I completely forgot that it was Victoria Day!  :shock:

Who's having a BBQ I can crash?  :wink:

Ah, I forgot too. Unfortunately I'm not going to a barbecue nor am I having one otherwise I'd invite you out here.

It's not May 2-4 because it's Victoria's birthday....that's just the politically correct reason for the holiday. It's called May 2-4 because you're supposed to drink one.... preferably Moosehead. :wink:

For some unknown reason May 2-4 means fighting traffic, putting in the docks, the boat lifts, the boats, the beach furniture -- none of which will be used until it either warms up, the black flies and mosquios leave, or both. Yep, tradition at its best. :raz:

Happy long weekend, everyone!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

My de facto grandson, who's half Canadian, is staying with us. Is there anything special I could serve for Victoria Day, other than vinegar or gravy on his french fries? :wink:

SB (at 2 1/2 he's too young to drink beer) :blink:

Check out this thread for distinctly Canadian foods. But really - it's the start of the summer - so throw some hot dogs on the grill, served up with fries and WHITE vinegar - and you're good to go. A nice Butter Tart for dessert wouldn't hurt. :wink:

Check out this thread for distinctly Canadian foods.  But really - it's the start of the summer - so throw some hot dogs on the grill, served up with fries and WHITE vinegar - and you're good to go.  A nice Butter Tart for dessert wouldn't hurt.  :wink:

The Butter Tart recipe looks good! I think I'll try it. :smile:

Also, looking back over the Canadian Foods link I found this:

"And the traditional Newfoundland beer snacks, salted dried caplin and salted dried squid, served after heating on top of the woodstove. And hey, there's fish 'n' brewis; and damper dogs (though I believe the Aussies do something similar); and toutens. ...and I haven't seen anyone make pink potato salad outside Newfoundland (it's got pickled beets in)." :shock:

Although Zach's Canadian ancestors are Newfies (sp?) I have to draw a line somewhere! After all, he's only half Canadian. :wink:

SB (but I'll bet he'd love the Ketchup flavored potato chips) :raz:

Dinner: Grilled thick rib-eye steaks, marinated in soy, garlic and mirin. Served with grilled zucchini, sauteed mushrooms (in olive oil with lots of garlic) and oven-roasted potato wedges. Desserts - to kick off summer, a bowl of mixed berries - that actually tasted like berries!

Washed down with mojitos.

It wasn't the hot-dogs and burgers of years past - but I'm not complaining! :wink:

Happy Victoria Day! Hope everybody had a good one.