• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Rebel Rose

California Farmers' Markets

163 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, ProfessionalHobbit said:

pluots, peaches, nectarines

What kind of pluots did you get, @ProfessionalHobbit?  And what do you plan to do with your stone fruits?  

 

I bought "Emerald Beaut" pluots  and "Summer Punch" plumcots at the farmers market this week.  Not a ton, just 6 of each.  Plus a few "Oh Henry" peaches.  Haven't decided how to use them yet.

Also got strawberries, lemons, limes, eggs and avocados.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

What kind of pluots did you get, @ProfessionalHobbit?  And what do you plan to do with your stone fruits?  

 

I bought "Emerald Beaut" pluots  and "Summer Punch" plumcots at the farmers market this week.  Not a ton, just 6 of each.  Plus a few "Oh Henry" peaches.  Haven't decided how to use them yet.

Also got strawberries, lemons, limes, eggs and avocados.

 

Crimson pluots, the kind you see in the picture.

 

We're going to have them on hand for dessert.  Next week though, we might make pickled peaches and put those up for later in the year.

1 person likes this

The Spamwise Chronicles

 

"Always explore your garden and go to the market before you decide what to cook." --Alice Waters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today's main meal was strictly from this morning's farmers' market, the Temescal / North Oakland market. We usually go to the Berkeley market on Saturday morning but we were busy yesterday. We ate: fabulous super fresh corn, grilled padron peppers, Greek salads with Japanese cukes and two types of tomato, Cherokee Chocolate and Marvel Stripe. Okay, one item not from the farmers' market, a baguette.

 

The Berkeley market has my favorite vendors for peaches and grapes, most vegetables and a variety of other items, but the Temescal market has a terrific pizza truck that hauls around a heavy duty oven and makes awfully good pizza. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_8700.JPG

 

IMG_8709.JPG

 

IMG_8711.JPG

 

IMG_8712.JPG

 

today:  tuna, tomatoes, herbs (fresh bay leaves, mint, basil), peaches, pluots, Swiss chard, broccoli, zucchini, onion, eggs, bread.


The Spamwise Chronicles

 

"Always explore your garden and go to the market before you decide what to cook." --Alice Waters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Main meal today came courtesy of the Saturday Berkeley farmers' market, from which we took home, among other things, tomatoes, avocados, red potatoes, sweet onions, Espelette peppers and yellow baby watermelon. I sliced Black Prince and dry farm Early Girl tomatoes and drizzled on a simple avocado sauce of mainly creamed avocado, olive oil, and lime juice. I made a New York Times recipe called Roasted Potato Hash with the cubed potatoes, wedges of sweet onion (tagged as Walla Walla, and delicious, but we all know a true WW Sweet has to be grown in WW soil) and a few peppers that turned out to be really fiery. I must remember to wash my hands about twelve times before I try to take out my contact lenses later tonight.

 

 The roast potato recipe is a nice one, very crispy. The potatoes and Espelettes come from a vendor who also sells several varieties of fresh shell beans as well this time of year. The potatoes are unidentified and excellent, the Espelettes are a treat; I've never seen them any where else. They are only available for about a month, and I roast tons of them and freeze them to use during the winter. I work them into Spanish rice salads and chicken with smoked paprika and whatever else I can think of. For dessert, my very favorite watermelon: seeded (always better than seedless, I think) yellow babies are a crap shoot, and not always great, but this one was like candy. Also, sadly, a short season.

I.  Am.  So.  Spoiled.

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_9003.JPG

 

IMG_8994.JPG

 

IMG_8996.JPG

 

IMG_9010.JPG

 

We have to get up really early in the morning in order to get down to the Ferry Building farmers' market before the hordes of tourists come marching in. 

 

In case you've never been to the market on a Saturday, here's a pic so you can see exactly what the madness entails:

 

IMG_7368.JPG

 

Now imagine all of those people inhabiting a space that's roughly 2-3 Manhattan-sized blocks.  It's fucking ridiculous because not only are there legitimate shoppers like my partner and myself, there are also people who like to stand and gawk, stand and block entryways, stand and block exits, stand and kibbitz but not actually buy anything, and everything in between.  

 

I fucking hate crowds with a passion, and if San Francisco wasn't so dependent on tourists to supplement its economy, I'd be fine with shipping all of them to Alcatraz Island so they can get a sense of what it's like for regular people to deal with them.

 

Anyway...

 

Today we bought:  strawberries, heirloom tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, cabbage, escarole, zucchini, cucumber, herbs (chives, basil, mint), sweet peppers and green beans.  There are probably a few things I'm forgetting about.  Most of the foregoing will be used in a pot of minestrone this weekend.  Then we went inside the Ferry Building and bought some chicken.

 

This stand:

 

IMG_8986.JPG

 

IMG_8985.JPG

 

IMG_8987.JPG

 

had the best priced heirloom tomatoes today at $2.50/lb.  That's cheaper than any of the vendors at Union Square Greenmarket in NYC -- and September is the height of tomato season over there.

4 people like this

The Spamwise Chronicles

 

"Always explore your garden and go to the market before you decide what to cook." --Alice Waters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe a lot of local growers in the Bay Area  have a glut this time of year? It's typical for the price of heirloom tomatoes to start dropping in September; certainly true of the east bay farmers' markets. This morning we bought lots of them, including some varieties that are new to me. It's espelette pepper season! Only one vendor I know of at the Berkeley market sells 'em, and this year they are fiery hot. There's only a couple of Asian vendors at the Saturday Berkeley market, but this is their best time of year. Fresh raw peanuts in the shell, fresh baby ginger with the stalks and leaves attached (truly amazing, and you can throw the leaves into a stir-fry!) Also they have good okra. What do I do with the peanuts? I boil them, like the good southern girl I am NOT.

 

Professor Hobbit (that's how I think of you, Soba) I have a question for you, since you are clearly frequenting farmers' market every week end. Actually two questions. Did you see any English peas this year? They were noticeable absent over here in the east bay in the spring and early summer. Tons of edible pod sugar peas, but no English. Also are you seeing any eggplants? Seems to me in years past they would come in with peppers, but so far no. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Maybe a lot of local growers in the Bay Area  have a glut this time of year? It's typical for the price of heirloom tomatoes to start dropping in September; certainly true of the east bay farmers' markets. This morning we bought lots of them, including some varieties that are new to me. It's espelette pepper season! Only one vendor I know of at the Berkeley market sells 'em, and this year they are fiery hot. There's only a couple of Asian vendors at the Saturday Berkeley market, but this is their best time of year. Fresh raw peanuts in the shell, fresh baby ginger with the stalks and leaves attached (truly amazing, and you can throw the leaves into a stir-fry!) Also they have good okra. What do I do with the peanuts? I boil them, like the good southern girl I am NOT.

 

Professor Hobbit (that's how I think of you, Soba) I have a question for you, since you are clearly frequenting farmers' market every week end. Actually two questions. Did you see any English peas this year? They were noticeable absent over here in the east bay in the spring and early summer. Tons of edible pod sugar peas, but no English. Also are you seeing any eggplants? Seems to me in years past they would come in with peppers, but so far no. 

 

I didn't see any English peas earlier this year, but eggplants are all over the place.  We almost bought some but unfortunately, we have lots of leftovers to get rid of first.  Next week if they're still around, for sure.


The Spamwise Chronicles

 

"Always explore your garden and go to the market before you decide what to cook." --Alice Waters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_9126.JPG

 

Katie -- here are your eggplants.

 

Eatwell Farm had them this morning.

 

IMG_9128.JPG

 

IMG_9131.JPG

 

IMG_9133.JPG

 

IMG_9146.JPG

 

today:  scallops, brisket, Early Girl tomatoes, San Marzano tomatoes, Little Gem lettuce, yellow onions, white onions, potatoes, celery, carrots, jalapeño peppers, apricot conserve, peach chutney, nectarine conserve, brussels sprouts.

1 person likes this

The Spamwise Chronicles

 

"Always explore your garden and go to the market before you decide what to cook." --Alice Waters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So jealous regarding those baby artichokes.  I have not seen many decent artichokes in our grocery stores here in Sothern British Columbia which I find disappointing seeing we are so close to California.  Never seen the baby ones here.

 

i did not see any dogs in the picture of the market crowds.  Not sure why but people seem to feel compelled to bring their dogs to the Farmers Market here.  It is crowded enough without our furry friends and it can't be much fun for the dogs!  SHEEESH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

So jealous regarding those baby artichokes.  I have not seen many decent artichokes in our grocery stores here in Sothern British Columbia which I find disappointing seeing we are so close to California.  Never seen the baby ones here.

 

i did not see any dogs in the picture of the market crowds.  Not sure why but people seem to feel compelled to bring their dogs to the Farmers Market here.  It is crowded enough without our furry friends and it can't be much fun for the dogs!  SHEEESH.

 

Yeah, they ban dogs from the market here in SF, unlike in NYC where they're all over the place.

 

But what would make my market experience better would be if they banned all the gawkers.  There's simply no comparison.


The Spamwise Chronicles

 

"Always explore your garden and go to the market before you decide what to cook." --Alice Waters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We get the gawkers also because we are a tourist town!  I usually go when the market opens at 8:30 am when most of the tourists are just thinking about their morning coffee.  Our market is open until 12:30.

 

One thing they just started this year was allowing the local wineries to have tastings.  So, at 8:30 it can make for a very pleasant shopping experience!O.o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

One thing they just started this year was allowing the local wineries to have tastings.  So, at 8:30 it can make for a very pleasant shopping experience!O.o

 

I'll bet it's more lucrative for the vendors, too. :D


Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.