• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hi from California!!

Because this sorta says it I'm posting my "entrance exam" answer...ok, I confess, my validation post, too. Why change what works?

I just counted my cookbooks the other day and found I have more than 250 if I include ebooks and about 175 hard copy. All these and I almost never follow a recipe exactly. 
I cook most of my food from scratch with mostly (99%) organic ingredients.
I grew up in a family of phenomenal cooks, most of whom grew at least some of their own veggies.
I'm constantly fascinated that you can have so many completely different end results using the exact same ingredients by simply changing how they are used in the cooking process.
I won't lie, this 66 year old squeeed a little when I found these forums. 

• Like 7

Welcome to eGullet. It sounds like you'll be right at home here. Might your screen name relate to Toonces the Driving Cat?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Welcome to eG, @tooncekat!  I'm also in California (Ventura county, in my case) and am also a cookbook fan.  Eat Your Books tells me that I have 518 cookbooks, 128 of them ebooks. Some I rely on for recipes, especially with baking.  Others just make me want to cook, whether I follow the recipes or not!

Please do share what you end up making, whether it's in the Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner topics or treats over in the various Pastry and Baking topics!

• Like 1

Welcome, you have indeed come to the right site. Here you will find more information and recipes than 10 times the cookbooks that you have. Before I join the Forum I had between 250 and 300 cookbooks. I've since paired The Collection down to about half and usually only go to these when the internet is down. I do hope that you will jump right in and start not only learning but sharing your knowledge with us.

• Like 1

Hello @tooncekat. Lots of fascinating folk here. As some have quite divergent opinions, discussions can get quite lively. A word of caution, eGers are world famous enablers, so hang onto your wallet! Welcome.

• Haha 1