• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PIZZA CLUB 2005!

Rich Pawlak

Whatcha think?  How about a date?  I'm happy to do this soon: say, this upcoming Saturday, June 4?

I think goody goody gumdrops. I'll be there - as long as I can weasel a ride with someone...

i'm thinkin that sounds like a plan--especially for zep's, which sounds really interesting.

as an aside, soujough is ... what's the term when you google something and only one site comes up? it's one of them.

me and the mrs can drive, capaneus, if you're in town. good way to start my birthday month.

Well, if there's no ganache, I may skip it myself. But it sounds as if we'll have enough people to make this worthwhile. 12:30 at Zep's (9965 Bustleton Ave), then.

Andrew, how much longer you have in town this summer before heading to Rome?

Two months...

as an aside, soujough is ... what's the term when you google something and only one site comes up?  it's one of them.

How about that? I wonder if it isn't a transliteration issue.

... and googling "Armenian sausage" turns up the spellings soojookh, sujuk and soujouk. Anyway, I intend to eat four times as much, to account for variations and make sure I've gotten a comprehensive sample.

Wow, wish I could make it... the beau and Mom have the nerve to share the same birthday, this weekend. We'll be enjoying BBQ at The Smoked Joint.

What a great idea, Andrew.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Here's the directions to tony's Place from Zep's for Saturday.....

SJE

Tony's Place

6300 Frankford Ave

Philadelphia, PA 19135 View Map

(215) 535-9851

Editorial Review

Think of this place as your favorite diner, neighborhood bar, and mom-and-pop...

Read More | User Reviews (11)

Starting Address

9965 BUSTLETON AVE

Philadelphia, PA, 19115-1557

Destination Address

6300 Frankford Ave

Philadelphia, PA, 19135-3014

Directions Miles

1. Start out going Southwest on BUSTLETON AVE/PA-532 towards NORWALK RD. 1.07

2. Turn LEFT onto GRANT AVE. 0.55

3. Turn RIGHT onto US-1 S. 3.67

4. Turn LEFT onto HARBISON AVE. 0.49

5. Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto US-13 N/ROBBINS ST. 0.18

6. Turn LEFT onto FRANKFORD AVE/US-13. 0.00

Total Distance: 5.99 Miles

Estimated Time: 13 minutes

We still doing this tomorrow?

Hellz yeah! 12:30 at Zep's: 9965 b-b-b-b-b-b-BUSTLETON Avenue.

Don't be distracted by the Georgian pastry shop next door, folks, or the picklearamas nearby: we're on a mission. From the pizza gods.

Hey, y'all have fun.

Maybe I can persuade my host and old college buddy to take me out to Watertown this (Sat 6/4) afternoon. That would only be if he's throwing the party for me on Sunday rather than Saturday.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

ok then quick report:

ZEP'S:

1. soujough, which is armenian sausage, mainly tastes of cumin.

2. basturma, which is dried beef, made several people in the group wish that it was served in corned beef hash. some people didn't like it; i thought it was delicious.

the pizzas were quite thin, with a consistency that implied that they were rolled rather than stretched. tasty, but no match for the ... thing that i can't find the name of on the online menu. it was a dough, rolled into an oblong shape, filled with cheese and with three eggs cracked on top of it. the eggs came out sunny side up, medium cooked, and we were instructed to stir the whole mess together before cutting and serving. deeelish. cholesteroliffic!

we also had some boregs, some yogurt drink. herb had some lamahjunes ('armenian pizza' they called it on the menu), kinda crepe-y things with onions and seasoned ground beef. also good stuff.

then it was on to tony's tomato pies, where we had a plain, a white with tomato, and an anchovy. and these were just great, with super-friendly, efficient service, and people pouring to eat in even though it was like 3:00... busy!

anyway, the cheese under the sauce keeps the crust extra crisp even though it's thin thin thin. and it's damn good. damn good!

• 1 month later...

can i just yoink this thread to the top by saying that i went over to rembrandt's for lunch today, and had the best pizza i've had in a while. their latest version of rustica sports sopressata, chopped plum tomatoes, and is topped with (besides the mozzarella) a sprinkling of grated asiago and mint.

my only complaint about their pizza is that either the crust is a little TOO thin, or else they put on too much topping or something, because just right in the middle the dough gets soggy. but at the outside? a gorgeously risen, charred crust. and the saltiness of the cheese, the mint... good lord. it was delicious.

edited to add: i forgot to report that they no longer are carrying their clam/prosciutto white pie. so sad.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

Say, shouldn't we have a pizza outing before Andrew heads abroad?

BTW and FWIW, the place where I first had lahmejune in Watertown no longer exists. The "spa" (="convenience store with fountain") over which I lived in Watertown Square still does, but it has been purchased by an Indian family and spruced up considerably.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Maybe a Trenton redux--- Delorenzo's vs Rome?

I LIKE it, and considering the current state of my affairs, VERY convenient.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Yes, but which DeLorenzo's? I vote for our first stop that was my first pizza club experience.

In my humble opinion, there is only one clear choice and that is the Delorenzo's on Hudson street.

Particularly in light of the fact that they are opening a second pizza joint in Robbinsville (scheduled to open within 16 months) and will be winding down the Trenton mainstay at some point.

This info gleaned from Gary last Friday at lunch who is the finest pizza man in the world. Gary said "I'm 62 and my back bothers me". The new place will be run by their son Sammy who quite honestly does not do nearly as well as dad in the art of thin crust tomato pie creation. As I pm'd Rich the other day, I had 2 pies last week, the first made by Gary and was hands down the best tomato pie I ever had in the 40 years I've been going there. Next pie came from Sammy and you would think you were in another restaurant. The cheese wasn't fully melted and the crust was way off. I think it wouldn't have been quite so noticeable if the first pie wasn't so stellar.

Anyway, I'm game to join everyone there.

oh, MAAAAN.  I'd love to go to DeLorenzo's, but it'll be really tough to make the time to head up to Trenton in the next week and a half.  Maybe just mail me a slice of the clam pie: it'll ship well, I'm sure...

But Andrew, it's Delorenzo's of Hudson St. It's the manna of the gods.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

oh, MAAAAN.  I'd love to go to DeLorenzo's, but it'll be really tough to make the time to head up to Trenton in the next week and a half.  Maybe just mail me a slice of the clam pie: it'll ship well, I'm sure...

But Andrew, it's Delorenzo's of Hudson St. It's the manna of the gods.

What he said.

C'mon! One last surgical strike before you go to Rome? Pretty please?

I know we could go without you, but this seems such an appropriate sendoff.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol