• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PIZZA CLUB 2005!

Rich Pawlak

I have about 17 previous commitments on saturday, so I'll have to miss the formal goodbye to Lombardi's from Pizza Club.

While in town tonight I decided to make my farewell run.

1) They're not slacking off in their final days, they still make a darn fine pizza. In fact this was one of the best ever: crust very dark, almost burnt, but not quite.

2) they got rid of the old menus and are pretty much just making three salads and pizzas. Which is fine.

3) I'm really going to miss this place.

4) There's a (slight) reprieve! They're staying open until May 22. So maybe there's still time for one or two more...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

i had a feeling i wouldn't be able to make it (and i won't, except maybe to stop by for the first half-hour or so), so we stopped by on monday after seeing this totally twee pop show at the ethical society, and everything philadining just said is true. could it be that the pizza's gotten BETTER since they announced they were leaving? sure seems like it. i've had lombardi's a bunch of times, and this one could have been one of the better pizzas i've ever had.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

Thanks to Sandy for moving the ball on today's Pizza Club, the Farewell to Lombardi's at 18th near Sansom. Among the pies the nine of us sampled: spinach, sausage and pepperoni, white, mushroom, anchovy and others I don't recall. Alas, they no longer offer white clam. (A mostly moot point since you've only got another week to get to Lombardi's before they close the Philadelphia outpost.) Although each pie was delicious, I thought they undercharred most of the pies, with the exception of the anchovy. Still, a most delicious and fattening afternoon. Followed by an excursion to the new DiBruno's emplorium around the corner. (No one brought a camera, so this one will be remembered only in our taste memories and spare tires.)

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

You're welcome.

I'd also like to note that the house salad dressing was also excellent--a slightly creamy red wine vinaigrette with a touch of sweetness (couldn't tell from what).

Sorry I waited so long to experience Lombardi's pizza. I do plan to stop by once more to find out whether they're willing to part with any of their New York subway station signage.

I liked the anchovy best of all--I'm one of those people who think the extreme saltiness of the anchovies plays nicely off the sweetness of the tomatoes and cheese. It also had the crispiest crust of the lot, IMO. The spinach pie was also a winner, and the sausage and pepperoni was pleasantly non-oily (looked like they precooked both the sausage and pepperoni before baking).

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I couldn't resist, and grabbed another Lombardi's pizza on my way out of town tonight. Again, really good although sadly less charred than the one I got a few days ago. The place was oddly empty at about 7pm, I expected it to be hopping every minute from here on out.

philadining.com

I have to say growing up and spending 22 out of my 24 years on this earth in Philadelphia, I'm a die hard philly guy. Lorenzo's pizza on South St. is the best pizza I've ever had in my life. If anyone has a clue as to how they get it to have such an amazing flavor, I'm all ears.

WhizWit.net -- My blog on Food, Life, and Politics

Again, really good although sadly less charred than the one I got a few days ago. 

We ordered 7 or 8 pies on Saturday afternoon. Crust rigidity, to reuse a term from earlier PC outings, was inconsistent. I only had one piece with a solid crust all the way to the point. Bob, our North Jersey guy, was looking for more char, also.

It was disappointing that the weren't doing any more clam pies. A Trenton trip is in order, but that's always the case. Who does a good clam pie in Philly?

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

I have to say growing up and spending 22 out of my 24 years on this earth in Philadelphia, I'm a die hard philly guy. Lorenzo's pizza on South St. is the best pizza I've ever had in my life. If anyone has a clue as to how they get it to have such an amazing flavor, I'm all ears.

well, you start by wrapping it around a cheesesteak from jim's...

The key, I think, is eating it at the end of an evening of drunken debauchery. Then it's guaranteed to be the best. pizza. ever.

Who does a good clam pie in Philly?

rembrandt's. clams, prosciutto and parmigiana on a white pizza, super thin, charred well--sometimes a little too well--and liberally doused with olive oil. the only thing is that those three ingredients are salty, so it's like a triple shot of salt. damn good, though.

It was disappointing that the weren't doing any more clam pies.  A Trenton trip is in order, but that's always the case.  Who does a good clam pie in Philly?

Lombardi's still has the clam pie listed on the smaller, photocopied closing-era menu. Did they tell you they weren't making it anymore, or were they just out on saturday?

philadining.com

well, you start by wrapping it around a cheesesteak from jim's...

Dude, that's evil.

Evil, heart-stopping scary delicious.

Jeez, think about it. Neither regular dieters nor Atkins dieters can eat that.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I'm not saying I couldn't.

I just wouldn't want to deal with the cardial consequences and gastrointestinal repercussions inherent for the week following.

So James, you wanna go halfsies on that? Half a pie and half a cheesesteak each? We're roughly the same age.

Plenty of time to recover.

At this point, I'm just looking to try and get another group together to check in on Lombardi's since they extended the closing to May 22.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I'm not saying I couldn't.

I just wouldn't want to deal with the cardial consequences and gastrointestinal repercussions inherent for the week following.

So James, you wanna go halfsies on that?  Half a pie and half a cheesesteak each?  We're roughly the same age. 

Plenty of time to recover.

At this point, I'm just looking to try and get another group together to check in on Lombardi's since they extended the closing to May 22.

When do you propose? Things are getting closer to under control at work and I might be able to run around the corner for pizza. Friday night? Saturday afternoon?

edit: I'm game on a non pizza club day for the Lorenzo/Jim steak challenge.

Edited by Lisa1349 (log)

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Friday night/Saturday afternoon sounds fine for me.

Both times sound like you'd be busy, so you pick a day and time, and we'll see who else can make it.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Friday night/Saturday afternoon sounds fine for me. 

Both times sound like you'd be busy, so you pick a day and time, and we'll see who else can make it.

Friday night.. 7pm sound good? I can stop by there and ask them to reserve some tables if we have enough people to warrant it.

My favorite combo is pancetta with roasted peppers. I'm also a big fan of their white pie.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's time for another PC2K5 outing. This time, let's expand our frontiers, to Northeast Philadelphia and some of the unusual pizza varieties to be found out there.

A good place to start would be Zep's, for Armenian-style pizza. That includes both American pizza with Armenian-style toppings (basturma, soujough) and Armenian pizza analogues (lahmajune, ajarski khatchapouri).

Rich has recommended Tony's Tomato Pies, with its sauce-on-top, cheese-on-bottom pizza. Maybe that for stop #2?

And a final stop at the Grey Lodge would round things out nicely.

Whatcha think? How about a date? I'm happy to do this soon: say, this upcoming Saturday, June 4?

Lahmejeune!

Haven't had that since my days in Watertown, Mass. (This suburb of Boston has one of the largest Armenian communities in the country.)

Might there be any possibility of holding off on this to June 18? I will be away on both the 4th and 11th to attend my 25th college reunion in Cambridge (Mass.) and catch up on old times with my old friends and roomies who still live in Boston.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3