• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PIZZA CLUB 2005!

Rich Pawlak

I'm there.

OK, we are set to meet at Delorenzo's on Hudson Street in Trenton at 3:30 on Saturday, 11/19. So far we have:

Rich, Diann, Charlie, Chris, Katie?, Aaron? and myself.

Will Katie and Aaron pm me if you are planning to go? Also if anyone needs directions please pm me for them.

Anyone else interested should let me know

Jeff

I'm in? OK, I'm in. Are you setting things up with the other stops, Jeff? I did that the last time, so they knew we were arriving, and approximately when; I budgeted 90 min per stop. Last time we had 19 people.

I hadn't thought about that, I guess I'll wait until we get nearer to the date for a final count.

BTW, I thought you were in after your post stating it's about time Pizza Club was back.

I hadn't thought about that, I guess I'll wait until we get nearer to the date for a final count.

BTW, I thought you were in after your post stating it's about time Pizza Club was back.

Oh he's in, all right. But the post was just to confirm his glee that someone else is doing the heavy lifting with the plannng this time. :raz:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'm there.

OK, we are set to meet at Delorenzo's on Hudson Street in Trenton at 3:30 on Saturday, 11/19. So far we have:

Rich, Diann, Charlie, Chris, Katie?, Aaron? and myself.

Will Katie and Aaron pm me if you are planning to go? Also if anyone needs directions please pm me for them.

Anyone else interested should let me know

Jeff

I'm in? OK, I'm in. Are you setting things up with the other stops, Jeff? I did that the last time, so they knew we were arriving, and approximately when; I budgeted 90 min per stop. Last time we had 19 people.

I would strongly suggest telling each of the places that you're bringing a dozen or more people, and approximately when you're arriving, so, hopefully, as we experienced two years ago, they set some tables aside for us, and are ready for us. It IS after all, a Saturday.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I just realized that we will be spending the weekend of Nov 19 in Manhattan. Hopefully I can make the next one.

As someone who considers Trenton his home town I would have loved to join you.

Thanks.

Aaron

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

Ah, Delorenzo's! I wish I could be there... seriously, I do. Have fun!

In the meantime, I've been doing my best to keep in practice, through hard work at Pizza Club, Italy Division. With that in mind, I just got back from a trip to the pizza mothership in Naples. I didn't get to do as much pizza eating as I'd like (instead, I let the director of my program, a native Neapolitan, take me out to a seafood lunch. I don't regret that decision, no sir.) But I did manage to duck out and get this little piece of heaven, which I'll share with y'all:

gallery_7432_1362_601207.jpg

I got this from a tiny place on the Via Tribunali for one euro: cheap! Hard to judge scale from the photo, but it's about the size of a large dinner plate. Just tomato sauce, a little bit of mozzarella di bufala and a single leaf of basil. The crust is floppy, full of air, and it was handed to me folded up, like any slice of street pizza you'd get at Lorenzo's on South Street or wherever. But, oh man, was it good! Not just because it tasted as good as any pizza I've ever had, but because it was pizza direct from the great pizza fount, the source of all things bright and pizzaful, all creatures mozzarella and... well, eating it I couldn't help but think about all of you and wish you were there enjoying it too.

Regretfully, I will be unable to "host" Pizza Club for next Saturday. Our daughter announced she is coming home from college next Saturday and thus I will be unable to come.

I will be happy to call ahead for everyone to the 3 restaurants after Delorenzo's Hudson Street with approx times and trust that Rich will be able to direct those driving who are unfamiliar with the locations.

I was so looking forward to this even though I just was at Delorenzo's yesterday for lunch!

Jeff

Awww Andrew! That looks Yummy! 4_15_1.gif

Sorry we missed it! Even sorrier that you're going to miss DeLorenzo's next week but we'll raise a glass to you, K?

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Regretfully, I will be unable to "host" Pizza Club for next Saturday. Our daughter announced she is coming home from college next Saturday and thus I will be unable to come.

I will be happy to call ahead for everyone to the 3 restaurants after Delorenzo's Hudson Street with approx times and trust that Rich will be able to direct those driving who are unfamiliar with the locations.

I was so looking forward to this even though I just was at Delorenzo's yesterday for lunch!

Jeff

Your daughter allergic to pizza? Bring her and the wife along!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Jeff

Rich, funny you ask this, my daughter is not allergic to pizza but my wife is! She has pretty extreme food allergies wheat being a big one. Believe me, I'd bring them if we could get something for Gale to eat!

Jeff

Jeff

Rich, funny you ask this, my daughter is not allergic to pizza but my wife is! She has pretty extreme food allergies wheat being a big one. Believe me, I'd bring them if we could get something for Gale to eat!

Jeff

Funny you should mention THAT; my S.O. has the same allergy, but Delorenzo's doesnt even bother her, I swear.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Jeff

Jeff

Funny you should mention THAT; my S.O. has the same allergy, but Delorenzo's doesnt even bother her, I swear.

Well you know I'm a junkie for their tomato pies and she's tried it before..no good. As good as those pies are and as much as she likes them, it's just not worth the way she feels afterward. This on top of family coming over to the house to visit with our daughter.

Count me in for Pizza club. Anna is a maybe as she may have a work related thing that afternoon, but I will be there. Katie if you need a ride, let us know.

-Tom

------------

CASETTA

"selling fame in fifteen second increments for pints of beer "

Depending on whether I get my paycheck in time, I'd like to join in. I too would need a lift, but can't say for sure whether I can go or not until Friday.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

So how many are we on Saturday? And are we visiting all 4 places?

Based on posts and ride sharing emails, I count Diann, Katbert, Katie, Chris, Rich, Tom Casetta and me with a possible for Sandy. Lurkers, missed messages, commitment phobic?

But of course we're visiting all 4 places. Who knows when we might ever get to Trenton again! Who knows if they'll have us?

(Don't forget that DeLorenzo's on Hudson has no public rest room. No kidding!)

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

I still maintain that FOUR places is both excessive and too time consuming. Why dont we do DeLorenzo's Hudson St., Top Road and Conte's (since we haven't been there before)?

Just a suggestion...

And let's not forget to bring some libations for DeLorenzo's! I've got a special something I'm bringing along that should be quite interesting. And is Conte's BYO also??

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I still maintain that FOUR places is both excessive and too time consuming.  Why dont we do DeLorenzo's Hudson St., Top Road and Conte's (since we haven't been there before)?

Just a suggestion...

And let's not forget to bring some libations for DeLorenzo's!  I've got a special something I'm bringing along that should be quite interesting.  And is Conte's BYO also??

I like that idea, as the wait at Delorenzo's hamilton Ave. can be excessive., and Conte's does have a liquor license.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

I still maintain that FOUR places is both excessive and too time consuming.  Why dont we do DeLorenzo's Hudson St., Top Road and Conte's (since we haven't been there before)?

Just a suggestion...

And let's not forget to bring some libations for DeLorenzo's!  I've got a special something I'm bringing along that should be quite interesting.  And is Conte's BYO also??

I like that idea, as the wait at Delorenzo's hamilton Ave. can be excessive., and Conte's does have a liquor license.

Cool. Glad I'm making sense (for once). :rolleyes:

So the plan is still to meet at DeLorenzo's at 3:30 PM, no? What order should the subsequent pizza venues be taken in? And are you leading the caravan, Rich? Maybe we can all print out a Yahoo map from location A to B and then location B to C in case we get separated.

And I might have missed this part of the discussion earlier, but what makes Conte's unique? Looking forward to trying something new.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Just a suggestion...

Cool. Glad I'm making sense (for once). :rolleyes:

So the plan is still to meet at DeLorenzo's at 3:30 PM, no? What order should the subsequent pizza venues be taken in? And are you leading the caravan, Rich? Maybe we can all print out a Yahoo map from location A to B and then location B to C in case we get separated.

And I might have missed this part of the discussion earlier, but what makes Conte's unique? Looking forward to trying something new.

Well, once I'm there at 3:30, I suppose I know the way to everything, so no problemo. Conte's is just exceptional thin crust pizza, in a cool retro atmosphere.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Looks like I might have the scratch to participate. I'll confirm later this evening if I do.

Anyone able to offer a lift? PM me.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Man, you guys are slacking. 

Almost 24 hours after the kickoff and no posts.

Maybe they aren't back yet....... :raz:

Here's a post for ya:

The pies at De Lorenzo's are a transcendent experience. Completely worthy of their legendary status. The plain tomato was my favorite (big chunks of tangy tomato -- I think most pizza sauces are too sweet for me) but they use quality sausage, and the white clam is nice and garlicky. I'm going back as soon as humanly possible.

Top Road and Conte's were nice, but not in the same league (although others thought differently).