• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Related Insults

Cusina

Along with cake-eater mentioned above is an Italian version, mangia-cake, which I have heard pronounced mungee-cake. My interpretation of that was not necessarily rich, but more like whitebread and mayonnaise, certainly white, and presumably devoid of earthy, ethnic eating habits.

Old British slang (Napoleonic wars) was to call the French and Spanish garlic-eaters.

Old French slang was to call the British rosbifs (roast beefs).

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

And then there's a milquetoast (milk toast):

"Caspar Milquetoast. A cartoon character of H. T. Webster, Caspar Milquetoast was a caricature of the mild-mannered, overly proper ineffectual man thoroughly dominated by his wife, other men, and essentially everyone else."

Caspar Milquetoast

Another similar word for a wimp is milksop.

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Old British slang (Napoleonic wars) was to call the French and Spanish garlic-eaters.

Old French slang was to call the British rosbifs (roast beefs).

when did the custom of calling french "frogs" and

british "limeys" begin?

was it not from the frog eating habits of french cuisine,

and the british had discovered that foods with vitamin c (=lemons / limes)

prevented scurvy?

milagai

when did the custom of calling french "frogs" and

british "limeys" begin?

was it not from the frog eating habits of french cuisine,

and the british had discovered that foods with vitamin c (=lemons / limes)

prevented scurvy?

milagai

Milagai wins the prize! Taken from the US Navy military history web site:

Because it was practically impossible to carry fresh fruits and vegetables on long voyages years ago, British Parliament decreed that each sailor must drink a pint of lime juice daily as a preventative against scurvy. Thus came the nickname for British ships, and Britishers in general.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

"Triscuit" and "Disco Biscuit" were two terms we used in college to describe girls with bimbo tendencies.

I have no idea why.

Disco Biscuit is also club slang for the drug ecstacy.

Before ecstacy was known, it was also slang for a Qualude(sp?)(a.k.a. 714) :rolleyes:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

pie hole (mouth)

(edited to add; and the insult part would something like, "shut your pie hole"...

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

For some reason - I really don't know the etymology - in Chinese, a guy who takes advantage of women is said to like "to eat alot of tofu".

That phrase is reminiscent of an old country blues turn of phrase about eating chicken, put to good use by Jim Morrison in the Doors song "Back Door Man":

You men eat your dinner, eat your pork and beans

I eat more chicken, than any man ever seen, yeah, yeah

I’m a back door man, wha, the men don’t know

But the little girl understand

My mother would say, "Oy..such a matzah punim!" I guess it meant you had a face like a matzah. (punim means face in Yiddish)

Then there's the classic Yiddish phrase "to make a big tzimmis" -- to make a big huge hairy deal over something.

And here's a few other phrases I've heard over the years:

"Don't teach your grandma to suck eggs" -- don't try to teach something to someone who has a whole lot more experience than you do (though I'm not sure what the "sucking eggs" bit is about--when and where did people suck eggs?)

"Must be jelly 'cause jam don't shake that way"--long before Beyonce cautioned us that we might not be ready for this jelly, my mom reported hearing this in her childhood as a street-wise wisecrack (apparently it was also the title of a swing-era hit song).

"Couple of tacos shy of a combo plate" -- another in that delightful series of witticisms to describe those a little short on either sanity or sense.

And you know I can't resist throwing in a Zappa reference, right? Here goes:

Girl, you thought he was a man

But he was a muffin

No cries is heard in the night

As a result of him stuffin'

There is a popular saying from Hong Kong, and I am sure lots HK children would have heard it from their mothers already.

Angry mother: I would rather give birth to a piece of char siu than you....... At least I can eat the char siu. :smile:

There is a popular saying from Hong Kong, and I am sure lots HK children would have heard it from their mothers already.

Angry mother: I would rather give birth to a piece of char siu than you....... At least I can eat the char siu.  :smile:

WOW! that's cold!

Mom needs one of those 714's!

One of my personal favorites:

"As full of sh!t as a Christmas Goose"

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Angry mother: I would rather give birth to a piece of char siu than you....... At least I can eat the char siu.  :smile:

WOW! that's cold!

714's?

Michael aka "Pan"

WOW! that's cold!

714's?

"714s" is street slang for Quaaludes, dude. :cool:

"Don't teach your grandma to suck eggs" -- don't try to teach something to someone who has a whole lot more experience than you do (though I'm not sure what the "sucking eggs" bit is about--when and where did people suck eggs?)

I don't get the go suck eggs reference either...While I don't eat raw eggs as a rule, I do like them a bit wiggly..is this a bad thing? Is sucking eggs akin to blowing eggs? This could get deep. And dirty.

And as our dear departed Zappa put it (since ducky brought him up)

"Don't eat the yellow snow!" although that's not an insult, more a cautionary bit of advice.

"Hamburger face." An unkind term for someone who has acne.  :unsure:

Also the ever-popular "pizza face."

And "porker."

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I don't get the go suck eggs reference either...While I don't eat raw eggs as a rule, I do like them a bit wiggly..is this a bad thing? Is sucking eggs akin to blowing eggs? This could get deep. And dirty.

Apparently, older people were missing teeth, and had to eat a lot of soft boiled eggs- so was familiar with the process. Raw eggs used to be popular too.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza