• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Related Insults

Cusina

Hmm. A few Syrian terms come to mind. There's 'idjeh' head... for omelette head, you know, scrambled eggs for brains; and then there's B'zazuh, well, I'm illiterate in Arabic, but it means nuts, i.e. crazy. Of course, when you're enamored of someone you might call them your little kibbeh, or your kibbeh hamda, kibbeh being a little torpedo shaped bit of meat and spices and nuts wrapped in a seasoned bulghur crust, so delicious, and well, there you are! And, kibbeh hamda being little delicious meatballs. Oh, I'm sure that's enough for all of you.... How about this, though- the mean kids called a very, erm, slender girl lahm'adjin when we were teens. Basically, that's a flat pizza. Um, she was flat, but it was still a mean term to use. Those boys were b'zazuh (which, believe me, I'm butchering the word!).

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

You could have said, "If I'm a genoise, you're a milquetoast!"

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Not sure if this has been mentioned already in other threads, but there's a phrase in cantonese which is "bun dahn" which means (according to my crappy chinese) "stupid egg". And it's used just the way it sounds: "you stupid egg!" Commonly used by parents referring to their children.

And my wife used to get insulted as a kid about her face being "like a bun behw", which is a vietnamese snack that's a flat circle of rice flour steamed with a sort of split pea/bean mixture on top. Not sure if that insult is really common, or if it was just a thing with her family in particular...so maybe don't share it with your vietnamese friends... :hmmm:

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

Not exactly an insult (or at least not neccessarily intended as an insult), but in the movie Bend It Like Beckham, the main character is fitted for a dress... Her mother insists on a tight-fitting outfit to show off her daughter's curves, seeing that she's such a soccer-playing tomboy -- and the dress-maker (also female) tells the mother not to worry -- and points toward's the daughter's chest -- and assures the mother that once she is done with the dress, "...these mosquito bites will look like juicy, juicy mangoes!" (You have to image that line being said with a strong Indian accent, by the way.)

I have not yet dated a woman who had cottage-cheese thighs.

But maybe soon.  :shock:

You'll have to wait until you have a beer belly. :unsure:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I have not yet dated a woman who had cottage-cheese thighs.

But maybe soon.  :shock:

You'll have to wait until you have a beer belly. :unsure:

Well, a beer belly, cottage cheese thighs and a chicken neck sound like a meal to me! :biggrin:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I have read through this entire topic and I simply can't believe that no one has come up with:

Mush mouth!! Mutter, mutter, mutter, what?? Speak up, don't mumble, mush mouth!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

"Your eyes look like two tomatoes in a glass of buttermilk."

From an old Asleep at the Wheel song "Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me"

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I dont know why ham handed is an insult.. More of a dream  :rolleyes:

I can just see it now...adults everywhere, sucking their thumbs. And dogs chasing you, too. :shock:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher