• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Related Insults

Cusina

not just granola.

crunchy granola.

Not that this is exactly germane to the topic, but it just hit me:

Is there such a thing as chewy granola?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

not just granola.

crunchy granola.

Not that this is exactly germane to the topic, but it just hit me:

Is there such a thing as chewy granola?

yes, but i think most people would call it stale.

*lol*

i'm kidding. I think chewy granola is basically meusli, no?

If someone does something stupid: He's not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.

An unenthusiastic party pooper: You're such a wet noodle!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

She's one french fry short of a Happy Meal.

He's one beer short of a six-pack.

She's two slices short of a loaf.

He's one egg short of a dozen.

I've got a bone to pick with you.

You're such a bonehead.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

wrinkled as a prune

sour as a lemon (personality)

no better than an egg sucking dog

vinegar puss

jelly belly

When you're in trouble you're in a jam

the team got creamed

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Just noticed that we'd say "takes the biscuit" in the UK, not cake. But I guess you guys have cookies not biscuits.

We used to.

Nabisco = acronym for NAtional BIScuit COmpany. Its best-selling product at the turn of the last century was the "Uneeda Biscuit."

Nabisco's chief rival for most of the century was Sunshine Biscuits, renamed from Loose-Wiles Biscuit Company for the name of its most popular product. (Edited to add: Sunshine Biscuits--whose best-known product today is Cheez-It crackers--is now a subsidiary of the Keebler Company, whose products are baked by elves in magic ovens. :wink: )

I believe Nabisco still makes Uneeda Biscuits, but you don't see them too many places these days. More commonly found are Triscuits, those shredded wheat crackers that are great topped with cheese and nuked.

Judging from the evidence, though, a US "biscuit" was what we now call a cracker.

Which, by the way, is a food-related insult term for a redneck. (A redneck -- the term derives from a common skin characteristic of the people so called, which in turn comes from all the hours they spend outside, either working on their farms or on their cars and trucks -- is a working-class white person, also usually male and of Southern US origin. The term carries with it the pejorative connotation of being prejudiced and/or ignorant.)

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

"Triscuit" and "Disco Biscuit" were two terms we used in college to describe girls with bimbo tendencies.

I have no idea why.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

"Triscuit" and "Disco Biscuit" were two terms we used in college to describe girls with bimbo tendencies.

I have no idea why.

Disco Biscuit is also club slang for the drug ecstacy.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

• 6 months later...
How about the 'hippy' sorts of folks being refered to as granolas.

Not sure if it is meant as or considered an insult.

I've called female hippies "earth muffins", which then led me to coin a term for the male counterparts:

MANOLA.

;-)

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!