• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 1)

Anybody ever leave a bottle of wine open overnight? I did last night. There is about a glass of merlot left in the bottle. Think it will be good by the time I get home from work? The bottle was left in a relatively cool/dark room. I'm a rookie in the wine realm.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

Anybody ever leave a bottle of wine open overnight? I did last night. There is about a glass of merlot left in the bottle. Think it will be good by the time I get home from work? The bottle was left in a relatively cool/dark room. I'm a rookie in the wine realm.

Your question seems as though it deserves a thread of its own rather than getting buried in here... but to answer it so that Katie or Holly can move the answer along with the question, I'd say that it is all in the palate of the taster.

Leaving a wine open for 24 hours will certainly change it. Whether you like the change is another thing. It won't be acetic battery acid... but it may lose some of the flavor elements you liked in it... but then again, it may have developed other elements you might like too. It won't be "bad" in the sense that it might kill you... but it might be bad in the sense you won't like it as much.

Taste it and let us know.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Working on my 3rd glass of St. Francis Nuns Reserve Cab. Much better than the first glass 3 hrs of so ago w/dinner. Started with a bit of rough edge but has mellowed a bit into a nice mouthful of tannin and fruit. I will get some more :biggrin:

Anyone else try this one? Pretty good, but I see there are only a few of these left around the state

Code: 013671

Description: VAN DUZER PINOT NOIR HOMESTEAD 02

Size: 750ML

Price: $30.99

I wonder if the LCB will be procuring any of the 2003? The 2003 Van Duzer Willamette rated 91 in Wine Spectator recently. I'd like to try it.

If it's that good, I think this could be a nice Chairman's Selection at the right price

(hint, hint, Mr Newman! ;-)

Hi Deidre,

Could you explain how SLO works? I don't see much on the LCB web site other than this brief description

To place an SLO order, e-mail ra-lbslo@state.pa.us or call 1-800-332-PLCB. Please include your daytime phone number in your e-mail, so that we may contact you to complete the order. (A deposit must be placed upon a credit card, and at this time we do not have a secure site to take these orders.)

You had indicated in an earlier post that SLO are not actual LCB inventory, and as such pricing is not under LCB control. You also mentioned that some SLO items have minimum qty (e.g. 6 or 12 bottles.) Can you elaborate on the rules or point me to a web page?

I am curious about a few specific SLO items I found listed in the online product catalog... Or is it best that I just call or email ra-lbslo?

Thank you

B

Hi Deidre,

Could you explain how SLO works?  I don't see much on the LCB web site other than this brief description

To place an SLO order, e-mail ra-lbslo@state.pa.us or call 1-800-332-PLCB. Please include your daytime phone number in your e-mail, so that we may contact you to complete the order. (A deposit must be placed upon a credit card, and at this time we do not have a secure site to take these orders.)

You had indicated in an earlier post that SLO are not actual LCB inventory, and as such pricing is not under LCB control.  You also mentioned that some SLO items have minimum qty (e.g. 6 or 12 bottles.)  Can you elaborate on the rules or point me to a web page?

I am curious about a few specific SLO items I found listed in the online product catalog...  Or is it best that I just call or email ra-lbslo?

Thank you

B

I think I can answer that for you. SLO is Special Liquor Order for items that are not necessarily stocked but they are availble through a PLCB vendor that is ordered through an 800 number and shipped to a local store. It is charged up (or half) front and depending on the vendor and item, there may be a minimum but they can tell you on the phone at that time. I have had good experience with the SLO process. NB - not everything listed may still be available even though it is on the site. Hope that helps.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Hi Deidre,

Could you explain how SLO works?  I don't see much on the LCB web site other than this brief description

You had indicated in an earlier post that SLO are not actual LCB inventory, and as such pricing is not under LCB control.   You also mentioned that some SLO items have minimum qty (e.g. 6 or 12 bottles.)  Can you elaborate on the rules or point me to a web page?

I am curious about a few specific SLO items I found listed in the online product catalog...   Or is it best that I just call or email ra-lbslo?

Thank you

B

I think I can answer that for you. SLO is Special Liquor Order for items that are not necessarily stocked but they are availble through a PLCB vendor that is ordered through an 800 number and shipped to a local store. It is charged up (or half) front and depending on the vendor and item, there may be a minimum but they can tell you on the phone at that time. I have had good experience with the SLO process. NB - not everything listed may still be available even though it is on the site. Hope that helps.

Evan

Lets ask the LCB Employee:

Evan, you are pretty close but there are a few minor things. #1 is that you can also place the order at your local store with the shift supervisor (manager, assistant manager) (this is the preferred method because it lets us know to expect it and we can also contact the vendor sometimes to track things down if it seems that it is taking too long for it to get there.) #2 Yes, a deposit of 1/2 of the estimated price is required at the time the order is placed. No, we do not want the full price paid up front, because we cannot estimate the shipping and handling charges, and of course, the bottle price may change. #3 Some vendors do require minimum orders of 1/2 case or full case, and some of the listed items are no longer available due to being sold out, but the codes are not always removed from the system within a reasonable time. We still have some codes listed for regular items that have been closed out, and sold out for almost a year, in case the item is returned. #4 And this is the big one. Payment for the remainder of the price/s&h for the item is required when it is picked up from the receiving store, and the Vendor has up to 3 weeks from the time the order is placed to fill the order and get it to the store. Some times they have to order it in from their supplier also. We at the store will call you (the customer) the day it is received to inform you that it is here and what the exact remainder of the cost is. #5 Last one, No, none of the items is stocked by the LCB, and it is not always in hand at the vendor's warehouse either, so somethings may take a while to get in.

Hope this helps some.

Pol

Thanks to Evan and Pol who both answered the SLO question for me.

They are both correct that you can place a SLO order either at your local store or by contacting the SLO department directly at 1-800-332-7522 option 4. Calling the SLO department directly is especially helpful if you are looking for a product that is not currently on the list of Special Liquor order products. They will act on your behalf and contact the winery or importer to see if they will make the product available by special order and obtain a price quote. They would also have information on wineries that we have tried to obtain their products in the past but for some reason or anotherthe winery or importer can’t or won’t ship into Pa.

-Deidre

Now on to some dishing…

Mike Volker will be glad to hear that the Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc is being repurchased (1000 cases) and set to arrive in early July! :smile:

Cinc Cepage From Chateau St Jean ’00 is coming in as a Chairman’s Selection Wine Spectator rated it 90 points. Chairman Selection price $40 a Savings of $35.

As for this past Holiday weekend I opened a bottle of the 2000 Mariah Zinfandel. I really like this wine easy to drink cherry raspberry fruits with a silky mouth feel. I'll be buying a few more bottles for sure!

I also had the Arrowood Syrah ’01 Le Beau Melange this is a big full-bodied red with black fruit flavors blackberries and plums a bit heavy in mouth feel, very good.

Dee,

Its great that the Kim Crawford is coming back, especially in time for the hot weather. Just got back from ten days in Napa/Sonoma, do you think the chairman would like a list of requests? Think "Robert Young" their '00 reserve chard is wonderful. I would also like to see some of the Petit Sirah's that are only available at the winery. Do your magic.....

Best,

Mike

Dee,

Its great that the Kim Crawford is coming back, especially in time for the hot weather. Just got back from ten days in Napa/Sonoma, do you think the chairman would like a list of requests? Think "Robert Young" their '00 reserve chard is wonderful. I would also like to see some of the Petit Sirah's that are only available at the winery. Do your magic.....

Best,

Mike

Mike,

Although one can never tell what will be selected as a Chairman’s Selection (The Chairman picks these himself) I would guess that the likelihood of the Chateau St. Jean Petit Sirah making a Chairman’s Selection would be pretty slim based on the production being so small. Could be the reason for why they are only selling it at the winery.

I think part of the allure of wineries participating in the Chairman’s Selection program is that they are able to move large amounts of inventory in one large sales transaction! For instance, the Cinq Cepage ’00 we are purchasing 1000 cases, their Robert Young ’01 Chardonnay that is in stores now we purchased 1000 cases, and I just got information that we are also purchasing 800 cases of their ’01 Belle Terre Chardonnay that has gotten real nice press.

By the way changing the subject drastically, are you going to let us know what wineries were your favorites on your visit to Napa/Sonoma in the general wine forum? My favorite stop was the small August Brigg’s Winery! It was a slow tasting day at August Brigg’s so I had the chance to do samples of three different barrels of Zinfandel one from young vines, one a 50+ year old vines and the third 100 year old vines. The differences in the fruits’ character were amazing! What a learning experience! Sorry, I didn’t mean to go off in a tangent just felt like sharing.

Deidre

Dee,

I meant Robert Young Vineyards. They keep the best grapes for themselves, and sell the other 93% out. Although CSJ's "Robert Young" chard is very good I thought that their viognier was the highlight of the tasting.

There are many wineries that make PS, somebody must be willing to do a deal.

Highlight of the trip was Ladera Winery on Howell mountain. Carolyn Tillie, who posts on the wine board frequently, works there and gave us a private tour and tasting. I bought a few Cab's and some Malbec. The cab's will be great in another five years or so.

Best,

Mike

My mother and I were thrilled to death to find the Byron 01 Chardonnay as a Chairman's Selection this month. The Byron is one of her favorites so we've been indulging quite a bit the past week. :wacko:

Sad to say, I only wish the service at certain locations matched the quality of the wines. Yesterday she went to one Center City store to buy a couple cases of the Byron and only ended up getting 8 bottles after getting yelled at by one of the stockpeople--for daring to take an empty box by the Byron display and starting to fill it up with the bottles she was going to get. Apparently she was "destroying!!!" the display by filling up the box, and it was a real trial for the staff to complete her order--hence only leaving with 8 bottles instead of two cases.

I think from now on we'll go to one of the other locations to fulfill our boozy needs. It's not the first time we've encountered far less than pleasant service at that location... :hmmm:

Edited by sockii (log)

sockii

| South Jersey Foodie |

Dee,

I meant Robert Young Vineyards. They keep the best grapes for themselves, and sell the other 93% out. Although CSJ's "Robert Young" chard is very good I thought that their viognier was the highlight of the tasting.

There are many wineries that make PS, somebody must be willing to do a deal.

Highlight of the trip was Ladera Winery on Howell mountain. Carolyn Tillie, who posts on the wine board frequently, works there and gave us a private tour and tasting. I bought a few Cab's and some Malbec. The cab's will be great in another five years or so.

Best,

Mike

I totally agree that there are some PLCB staff that are badly in need of training. The problem is that they are everywhere throughout the system. The trick, though, is that the good ones are as well. I guess what I'm saying is that you are probably better off finding the people you like and sticking to their location and help, instead of jumping from location to location, because you might run into bad service anywhere - even non-PLCB retailers, believe it or not.

My mother and I were thrilled to death to find the Byron 01 Chardonnay as a Chairman's Selection this month. The Byron is one of her favorites so we've been indulging quite a bit the past week.  :wacko:

Sad to say, I only wish the service at certain locations matched the quality of the wines. Yesterday she went to one Center City store to buy a couple cases of the Byron and only ended up getting 8 bottles after getting yelled at by one of the stockpeople--for daring to take an empty box by the Byron display and starting to fill it up with the bottles she was going to get. Apparently she was "destroying!!!" the display by filling up the box, and it was a real trial for the staff to complete her order--hence only leaving with 8 bottles instead of two cases.

I think from now on we'll go to one of the other locations to fulfill our boozy needs. It's not the first time we've encountered far less than pleasant service at that location... :hmmm:

Yikes!!! Poor customer service gives a bad name to all employees that care about their job and helping customers out! Any chance you could either P.M me or post what store this is? Customer service improvement is one of the top priorities of this Board. Sometimes it takes improving one store at a time, so I would love to put a fire under the store in question so that no one else has to experience what your mother experienced!

If anyone wants to report any kind of customer service issues that should be addressed immediately you can contact either Consumer Relations at 1-800-332-7522 option 3, or you could send e-mail on either of our two web sites, Pawineandspirits.com(click contact us located at the top of the page) or on the public site Lcb.state.pa.us(click send feedback on bottom of the page)…or you should know by now any time I can help with anything just P.M. me.

Thanks Dee

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, I signed up for the e-mail blast that Capaneus mentioned in an earlier post so that I could post the information here for all of you to see what is coming, what currently in and what is almost gone. I’ll try to post these when I get the blast. Happy Hunting… Deidre

Upcoming Chairman's Selections

In Stores Now

Last Chance

Hello all, I signed up for the e-mail blast that Capaneus mentioned in an earlier post so that I could post the information here for all of you to see what is coming, what currently in and what is almost gone.  I’ll try to post these when I get the blast.  Happy Hunting… Deidre

In Stores Now

Last Chance

Thanks Deidre! You rock! You just took all of the "work" out of the search! :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to bump up this thread with a wine I'd bought as a Chairman's Selection a short time ago and decided to crack open this evening.

Campillo Rioja Riserva 1996. $14.99 - listed at twice that and more everywhere I've searched for info.

This is some damn tasty and well made/aged wine. 100% Tempranillo, close to a decade old, aged for almost two years in American oak barrels and held for three years in bottle prior to release, this wine can only be described as smooth and seductive. Tastes like a bowl of fresh cherries sitting in a cedar lined leather cigar box. Incredibly smooth with really supple tannins. I had it with a steak I'd tossed on the George Foreman, but suspect this could stand up to game meats or cheese really well. Delicious and a freakin' bargain for the price tag. Seems to be readily available in the Philadelphia County PLCB stores.

Must. Go. Buy. More. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Recently I have spent alot of my free time using my smoker. Smoked pork is wonderful stuff. Tried several Chairmans selections and have yet to hit it. The St. Francis Cab was pretty good but the smoke was too much for a Crawford PN. I think maybe Reisling? Anyone ever try to match smoke meat with wine? I would be thrilled to receive any recomendations. I have a couple bottles of the Consetino Poet left. Maybe.

i had kind of a weird pinotage the other day at tria (it's not on their website right now) that started off with a funky fruit bomb and ended up tasting like mesquite or an ashtray or something--but of course, in a good way. and the first thing i thought was that it might go well with smoked meat of some sort...

Decided to bump up this thread with a wine I'd bought as a Chairman's Selection a short time ago and decided to crack open this evening.

Campillo Rioja Riserva 1996.  $14.99 - listed at twice that and more everywhere I've searched for info.

This is some damn tasty and well made/aged wine.  100% Tempranillo, close to a decade old, aged for almost two years in American oak barrels and held for three years in bottle prior to release, this wine can only be described as smooth and seductive.  Tastes like a bowl of fresh cherries sitting in a cedar lined leather cigar box.  Incredibly smooth with really supple tannins.  I had it with a steak I'd tossed on the George Foreman, but suspect this could stand up to game meats or cheese really well.  Delicious and a freakin' bargain for the price tag.  Seems to be readily available in the Philadelphia County PLCB stores.

Must. Go. Buy. More.  :biggrin:

I have had it on my list to try a tempranillo. Picked up a sample bottle along with a couple of the last remaining newton merlots in Ardmore. What the hey....

Thank

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

I have had it on my list to try a tempranillo.  Picked up a sample bottle along with a couple of the last remaining newton merlots in Ardmore.  What the hey....

Thank

Evan

Evan:

You'll have to let us know if you liked it. That newton Merlot is pretty darned tasty too!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Next time you're in the stste store pick up a bottle of the Senetiner Bonarda. This is the first bonarda for me so I'm not sure what its supposed to taste like, but this is very good. Lots of berry fruit, some smoke, soft tannins. Try it, you'll like it!

Best,

Mike

Campillo Rioja Riserva 1996.  $14.99 - listed at twice that and more everywhere I've searched for info.

This is some damn tasty and well made/aged wine.  100% Tempranillo, close to a decade old, aged for almost two years in American oak barrels and held for three years in bottle prior to release, this wine can only be described as smooth and seductive.  Tastes like a bowl of fresh cherries sitting in a cedar lined leather cigar box.  Incredibly smooth with really supple tannins.  I had it with a steak I'd tossed on the George Foreman, but suspect this could stand up to game meats or cheese really well.  Delicious and a freakin' bargain for the price tag.  Seems to be readily available in the Philadelphia County PLCB stores.

Must. Go. Buy. More.  :biggrin:

Katie, just picked up a bottle this afternoon in Doylestown after a nice day of patio furniture shopping and an outdoor cafe lunch in the borough. I must agree and will be back soon to buy a case of this wonderful wine. I'm not to well versed on Spanish wines but I like this one big time. Thasnks for the recommendation

There's some fabulous stuff on deck in the Chairman's selections:

The Artesa Pinot Noir should be great. I visited Artesa Winery (take virtual tour) when in Napa and thought it was architecturally one of the coolest buildings I've ever seen (view #4 on virtual tour), as well as having one of the most breathtaking views of Carneros (or anywhere - view #7 on virtual tour) I've ever had the pleasure of sipping a glass of wine to and toasting. The Chateau St. Jean "Cenq Cepages" Cabernet is a bargain even in the $40-ish price range. The Chateau St. Jean "Belle Terre Vineyard" Chardonnay is stupid cheap for $14.99. The Montes Alpha wines from Chile are also excellent. Newton "Puzzle" is also a steal at $22.99.

Cool! Lots of new stuff to go shopping for. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!