• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 1)

Hello all, thought I would give you my tasting notes from the other day of some of the newest Chairman’s Selections. Now these are just some of my own favorites and slightly biased since right now I am really into Syrah (I go through phases) but I really enjoyed the Arrowood, d’Arenburg, and the Mount Langi. There were also a couple of Zinfandels that I thought really stood out Mariah’s 2000 and 2001. The Columbia Crest Merlot and The Sonoma Cutrer Les Pierres Chardonnay and the Talbotts Sleepy Hollow 2001 pretty much rounded out my favorites of this tasting! Let me know if you agree when these come into to the stores in the near future…

Arrowood Syrah Le Beau Melange ’01 Lots of fruit on the nose, the wine has an almost creamy texture, dried fruits of blackberry and plums it’s a big full-bodied wine.

D’Arenberg Laughing Magpie ’01 Hints of flowers mixed with dark fruits on the nose, blackberry, blueberry and spice flavors on the palate. Beautiful

Mount Langi Shiraz Cliff Edge ’01 Bing cherry, plums and blueberries wrapped around a core of black pepper and spice.

Mariah Zinfandel 2000 Good black-raspberry cherry and raspberry fruit and spice silky mouth-feel low tannins.

Mariah Zinfandel 2001 More Jammy riper fruit than the 2000 Cherries, and black raspberry fruit soft tannins.

Sonoma Cutrer Chardonnay Les Pierres ’01 Burgundian style good crisp fruit with pear and mineral flavors. Long lingering finish

Talbotts Chardonnay Sleep Hollow ’01 Rich full blown Cali Chard. Pear, pineapple and apple round out the flavors, the wine has a rich creamy texture.

Columbia Crest Merlot Reserve ’01 Soft silky fruit flavors of cherry and plum mixed with spice lingering finish.

I see that the Chapoutier Ermitage is available at the Wayne store, but the last time I was there the place was overheated and the sun shining brightly on otherwise attractive wines.

Is there any assurance that the wines -- especially the expensive ones -- haven't been (or aren't being) roasted?

I see that the Chapoutier Ermitage is available at the Wayne store, but the last time I was there the place was overheated and the sun shining brightly on otherwise attractive wines.

Is there any assurance that the wines -- especially the expensive ones -- haven't been (or aren't being) roasted?

Tom,

I am assuming that you are referring to the Devon store because of all the glass windows. I will have someone check on this. The PLCB will take returns on any product sold through their stores if it is defective, cooked or otherwise undrinkable. You can return any product to any wine and spirits shop with a receipt as long as there are contents remaining in the bottle (its hard to justify a return on an empty bottle). I usually tell people that if they discover a bottle that turns out to be defective after you poured a glass, to pour the remaining glass contents back into the bottle and return it.

Was in the Bryn Mawr store today and picked up a new Chairman's selection - Cosentino 2000 "poet" meritage. It's $19.99 (retail $65). It had won a gold medal at the recent Starwine compeition here in Philly. Happily, there were plenty to be found as this appears to be a super deal on a very good wine. I had it tonight as I did not want to wait to try it. It is a supple wonderfully smooth textured wine with rich fruit, low tannin. Somewhere on the palate was a persistent but pleasant acidity perhaps from the good dose of cab franc. Anyway. a great steal at the price. A must try.

Dough can sense fear.

Was in the Bryn Mawr store today and picked up a new Chairman's selection - Cosentino 2000 "poet" meritage.  It's $19.99 (retail $65).  It had won a gold medal at the recent Starwine compeition here in Philly.  Happily, there were plenty to be found as this appears to be a super deal on a very good wine.  I had it tonight as I did not want to wait to try it.  It is a supple wonderfully smooth textured  wine with rich fruit, low tannin.  Somewhere on the palate was a persistent but pleasant acidity perhaps from the good dose of cab franc.  Anyway. a great steal at the price.  A must try.

Picked up a half-case at 1218 Chestnut Friday, on Corey's recommendation. *Tried* to drink it tonight, but I live in Philadelphia. 9pm is apparently past closing time for *four* different local restaurants with posted 9:30 or 10pm closing times. I'm a hungry, bitter man. But at least I own six bottles of a nice wine.

Was in the Bryn Mawr store today and picked up a new Chairman's selection - Cosentino 2000 "poet" meritage.  It's $19.99 (retail $65).  It had won a gold medal at the recent Starwine compeition here in Philly.  Happily, there were plenty to be found as this appears to be a super deal on a very good wine.  I had it tonight as I did not want to wait to try it.  It is a supple wonderfully smooth textured  wine with rich fruit, low tannin.  Somewhere on the palate was a persistent but pleasant acidity perhaps from the good dose of cab franc.  Anyway. a great steal at the price.  A must try.

Picked up a half-case at 1218 Chestnut Friday, on Corey's recommendation. *Tried* to drink it tonight, but I live in Philadelphia. 9pm is apparently past closing time for *four* different local restaurants with posted 9:30 or 10pm closing times. I'm a hungry, bitter man. But at least I own six bottles of a nice wine.

I had a bottle of this last night myself. I'd seen it at 12th & Chestnut Saturday afterrnoon and also picked it up on Corey's recommendation. I'm in agreement with shacke and Capaneus. This is very tasty wine with a lot going on. Very BIG fruit and flavor.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I had a bottle of this last night myself. I'd seen it at 12th & Chestnut Saturday afterrnoon and also picked it up on Corey's recommendation. I'm in agreement with shacke and Capaneus. This is very tasty wine with a lot going on. Very BIG fruit and flavor.

This is one of my favorite deals. It is hard to find a bottle of this quality for $20. I tried a sample when it won the Starwine Gold Medal. I spoke with many of the tasters at the competition and while this was one of the most competitive categories, it was uniformly one of the most memorable wines tasted in the Starwine competition which included 50 sommeliers from 20 different countries. Mitch Cosentino called me and offered it to the PLCB at $39.99, which would have been $23 off a bottle. He told me that it was the one of the very best Poet's he ever made and that they don't release it until the next vintage to give the entire line a halo effect. He admitted that with this vintage coming late on the heels of the 01 that it was a tricky sell at full price and he agreed it was a much cleaner deal having the PLCB buy most of the inventory and we finally settled on the $19.99 retail price.The PLCB ended up purchasing over two-thirds of the entire production and our consumer is getting a tremendous buy.

The diversity and magnitude of the Chairman Selection wines that we now have in Premium Collection stores will make it very hard for any retailer to offer so many great deals on a price-quality basis. The D'Arenberg Laughing Magpie, Ch. St. Jean Robert Young Vineyard Chard, Ridge Home Ranch and so many other great deals makes it a fun time for our customers to enjoy amazing wine at hot prices.

Thanks again for all your support, kind words and confidence in me.

This is one of my favorite deals. It is hard to find a bottle of this quality for $20. I tried a sample when it won the Starwine Gold Medal. I spoke with many of the tasters at the competition and while this was one of the most  competitive categories, it was uniformly one of the most memorable wines tasted in the Starwine competition which included 50 sommeliers from 20 different countries. Mitch Cosentino called me  and offered it to the PLCB at $39.99, which would have been $23 off a bottle. He told me that it was the one of the very best Poet's he ever made and that they don't release it until the next vintage to give the entire line a halo effect. He admitted that with this vintage coming late on the heels of the 01 that it was a tricky sell at full price and he agreed it was a much cleaner deal having the PLCB buy most of the inventory and we finally settled on the $19.99 retail price.The PLCB ended up purchasing over two-thirds of the entire production and our consumer is getting a tremendous buy.

The  diversity and magnitude of the  Chairman Selection wines that we now have in Premium Collection stores will make it very hard for any retailer to offer so many great deals on a price-quality basis. The D'Arenberg Laughing Magpie, Ch. St. Jean Robert Young Vineyard Chard, Ridge Home Ranch and so many other great deals makes it a fun time for our customers to enjoy amazing wine at hot prices.

Thanks again for all your support, kind words and confidence in me.

Hello!!! You're up late tonight too!

Many thanks again for taking the time from your busy schedule to join us for the Chat. I think everyone came away with some valuable information. And I hope that the suggestions from this very savvy group of consumers was helpful for you. And I'm still hoping that sometime in the future when the PLCB creates a position for "Potables Laureate of the Commonwealth", you'll consider me for the post. :biggrin:

Please continue to join us here and let us know about your favorites. There really is an embarrassment of riches in the stores right now, and I intend to do a bit more wine shopping later this week. What can you tell us about the D'Arenberg and the Chateau St. Jean Chardonnay? Both looked intriguing to me, but I was on a surgical strike Saturday just to pick something up for that evening to bring along to dinner at a friend's home. Do tell why these are some of your favorites.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

We were in the Lancaster store on Sunday and I got a couple of these before I read your comments. I am now even more anxious to try it. We did pour a bottle of the Foley PN last night with dinner. I really, really like this. In fact, Maggie and I wanted to go to a bourough meeting about a zoning issues last night. Instead we stayed home and finished the bottle. I believe we made a sound choice. I am anxious to try the Cosentino all all of your reccomendations

"Attention Chestnut Shoppers": 4 cases of Cakebread Cabernet 2002 are at 12th and chestnut - well, a few less now. They are the only ones in the state at the moment according to the lcb site but I assume more will come eventually. $50.99 each - I am a huge cakebread fan so I am biased but I think they are well worth the price and can cellar for years. I just drank a '94 which is still terrific.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

"Attention Chestnut Shoppers":  4 cases of Cakebread Cabernet 2002 are at 12th and chestnut - well, a few less now.  They are the only ones in the state at the moment according to the lcb site but I assume more will come eventually.  $50.99 each - I am a huge cakebread fan so I am biased but I think they are well worth the price and can cellar for years.  I just drank a '94 which is still terrific.

Evan

Tru dat: generally speaking, there's all kinds of high-flyin' crazy stuff at 12th and Chestnut for the Festival. Buy it, drink it, love it.

"Attention Chestnut Shoppers":  4 cases of Cakebread Cabernet 2002 are at 12th and chestnut - well, a few less now.  They are the only ones in the state at the moment according to the lcb site but I assume more will come eventually.  $50.99 each - I am a huge cakebread fan so I am biased but I think they are well worth the price and can cellar for years.  I just drank a '94 which is still terrific.

Evan

Tru dat: generally speaking, there's all kinds of high-flyin' crazy stuff at 12th and Chestnut for the Festival. Buy it, drink it, love it.

does the poorhouse have nice cellaring facilities? because you people are gonna drive me there right quick. but at least i'll have a metric buttload of wine to drink.

but at least i'll have a metric buttload of wine to drink.

Is the metric buttload larger or smaller than the Imperial buttload? I'm taking a different tack and measuring for the extra wine storage I'll need in the remote mountain cottage I'm fleeing to, in order to avoid my latest credit card statement. I think they shouldn't take credit cards a the Wine Specialty shops, it's only asking for trouble.... If you find yourself rolling in with a wheelbarrow full of cash, you might pause to think about how much Burgess Cab you can really drink in your lifetime.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Hopefully Deidre (or even the "Boss") is around to answer this. I was curious about getting heads' up on upcoming bordeaux releases. If I heard Bob E. in the Bryn Mawr store correctly, PA does purchase futures and I wanted to know which wines will ultimately be available to consumers when they are released? That would be great info to have! There are obviously a gazillion labels in the region but PA won't stock them all, so to know in advance which to watch out for would be great and I dont have to run around trying to get them elsewhere months before they arrive.

Also, to be able to search region by vintage on the ecommerce site would be a great thing! Particurly good would be to have the ability to search inventory by year (ie show me all '99 medoc in the stores)

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Not to ignore my last post but a new CS has hit stores - Epic merlot 2001 for $25 bucks! Whoa. Should be in the $60 range. I have yet to try but it is apparently it's a monster that requires cellar taming. I put myself on buying hiatus for the rest of May (unless of course it gets bought up too fast although there is lots of stock).

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Not to ignore my last post but a new CS has hit stores - Epic merlot 2001 for $25 bucks!  Whoa.  Should be in the $60 range.  I have yet to try but it is apparently it's a monster that requires cellar taming.

I had a glass of this last night and can testify that even in its untamed state, it's really terrific. Really complex, with all kinds of smoky, leathery notes layered with fruit. It's really a crazy-go-nuts wine, and I think I'll buy a couple of bottles next week to lay down for, um, this summer...

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

We were in the Lancaster store on Sunday and I got a couple of these before I read your comments. I am now even more anxious to try it. We did pour a bottle of the Foley PN last night with dinner. I really, really like this. In fact, Maggie and I wanted to go to a bourough meeting about a zoning issues last night. Instead we stayed home and finished the bottle. I believe we made a sound choice. I am anxious to try the Cosentino all all of your reccomendations

On Saturday I made a simple grilled dinner of thick cut boneless pork chops, sweet potato wedges and asparagus. I decided to open the Cosentino. Holy Cow, what a wine. It was great, I believe the best complement with it was the grilled asparagus. I went back to the store Sunday and got a couple of more, also picked up the Houge Pinit Gris, and the Chateau St Jean Chardonay and a Kim Crawford PN. They were out of the Foley PN and I am kicking myself for not getting more of this the week before.

The Laughing Magpie was there, but my wallet was not. If they still have any next week i will try it.

I hate to keep sounding like a Jon Newman suck up, but what wonderful wine at what wonderful prices. I am drinking stuff all the time that i really should be having only as a special occasion wine.

Note that the Foley PN is still available through online ordering at pawineandspirits.com and there is FREE shipping right now. No reason not to pick up some (like I just did).

• 2 weeks later...

Just got an e-mail from PLCB: the site now has a listing for "Upcoming Chairman's selections. It lists ETAs for both new releases *and* rebuys - so now I know I'm going to be able to restock the Liparita, eg.

I can now plan my destitution *months* in advance!

Just got an e-mail from PLCB: the site now has a listing for "Upcoming Chairman's selections. It lists ETAs for both new releases *and* rebuys - so now I know I'm going to be able to restock the Liparita, eg.

Can't find that feature - can you send a link to it?

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Can't find that feature - can you send a link to it?

Evan

http://t.lt05.net/c.asp?mNRoSpTT4UVCaTnnFC...zViJMN2TogHeA0g

http://t.lt05.net/c.asp?JgkSVd9VeNhHkevqLm...zViJMN2TogHeA0g

http://t.lt05.net/c.asp?ZULPQBdWn2X0tnFmQK...zViJMN2TogHeA0g

These are, per the e-mail, "Upcoming Chairman's Selections", "Chairman's Selections Now In Stores" and "Last Chance Chairman's Selections". Having re-read the e-mail, I think the information may only be available through these Updates, not on the website. If I recalled how I got on mailing the list in the first place, I'd tell you... Ms. Costello?

Anyway, Happy Hunting.

Edited by Capaneus (log)