• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 1)

Katie,

I emailed the plcb the other day asking if they have a distribution problem and why collegeville doesn't have most of these selections and got the typical plcb response of basically we don't care. By the way I met someone at a tasting sunday pm who had a conversation with the chairman. They were told that the chairman's selections have made millions for PA. Maybe thats all that matters $$$$$$. Hope we see some in collegeville soon.

Best,

Mike

Anyone out there tried a Spanish white called (I believe) Las Brisas?

I bought a bottle of this (n.v.) at the Chestnut Street store a week ago, and everyone who had a taste of it loved it. It was a crisp white wine, very citrusy--mainly orange and grapefruit flavors. Not too bad a value, either, at about $10. Goes great with fish. Pity the fish I served it with had been left out somewhere before I got it.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I opened my bottle of St Francis merlot reserve. FWIW, and I am no expert here, I thought that it was fairly tannic and had very rich, strong fruit and a short finish. Very nice bouquet - jumps out at you upon corking. Not my style but a good buy I agree. I have not tried a california merlot in ages. In that store run, I also bought the St Francis Cab reserve as well along with hanna bismarck cab 99, nardi brunello and the ravenswood teldeschi. I am awaiting my bottles of the pine ridge andrus and hanna chardonnay from the ecommerce site.

Tonight I will try the hanna cab - looking forward to it!

Dough can sense fear.

Deidre - what's the availability of this wine currently?  The website is showing ZERO inventory but I wonder if it even hit the radar screen before either selling out or never registering what's actually out there.  There were several cases there last week at 12th & Chestnut when I picked up my one bottle.

Am I gonna have to hurt somebody to get some more of this?  :raz:

Hi Katie, looks like the inventory of the Ravenswood was just coming in when you checked it. Over 1000 cases were ordered and just arrived. 1218 Chestnut, 1913 Chestnut and the Society Hill store have it currently in Center City. Along with the most Premium Collection stores in the state.

Deidre - what's the availability of this wine currently?  The website is showing ZERO inventory but I wonder if it even hit the radar screen before either selling out or never registering what's actually out there.  There were several cases there last week at 12th & Chestnut when I picked up my one bottle.

Am I gonna have to hurt somebody to get some more of this?  :raz:

Hi Katie, looks like the inventory of the Ravenswood was just coming in when you checked it. Over 1000 cases were ordered and just arrived. 1218 Chestnut, 1913 Chestnut and the Society Hill store have it currently in Center City. Along with the most Premium Collection stores in the state.

Aha! OK - so I'm ahead of the curve this time... :biggrin:

Tonight I'm drinking the tail end of a bottle of 2001 Fritz Winery Old Vine Zinfandel that I brought with me over to Dmitri's to share with jeunefilleparis who's in town visiting. This is nice wine too, although not as concentrated or complex as the Ravenswood Teldeschi from last night, a pretty hot deal at $9.99. It was delicious with our vegetarian dinner of hummus, feta and olives platter and beet salad that we enjoyed at Dmitri's. Unfortunately the bottle was quite a bit too cold from having sat in my car all day, so the first glass was pretty tasteless. But it opened up as it warmed up and now exhibits some nice dark cherry fruit and a nice dose of spice. It ain't Chateau Petrus, but it's under ten bucks and quite serviceable. It would be a great grab-and-go to BYOB of your choosing wine since the flavor profile would compliment many foods and would probably appeal to a wide range of wine drinkers.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Katie,

I emailed the plcb the other day asking if they have a distribution problem and why collegeville doesn't have most of these selections and got the typical plcb response of basically we don't care. By the way I met someone at a tasting sunday pm who had a conversation with the chairman. They were told that the chairman's selections have made millions for PA. Maybe thats all that matters $$$$$$. Hope we see some in collegeville soon.

Best,

Mike

Mike:

I think you're a bit disappointed that the Collegeville store isn't ranking up there with the Specialty shops in the larger urban centers. Even though the PLCB buys up a lot of wine, someone still has to decide how to divide it up and where to send it. I think it's self-evident that they'd want to send a reasonable majority of product to stores in the urban centers of Philly and Pittsburgh. Particularly for the more limited quantity products. It'll have a faster turnover there and they need that shelf space for the next round of incoming products. I also think you might have come across one really uninformed random website Custromer Service rep. You should befriend the wine manager at your local Specialty shop. I think that will cure this problem you're having.

I don't have a problem with the Chairman's Selections making big $$$ for the state. It's a business, not a charity. More power to them if they can offer us high quality products at half off or more and still turn a hefty profit. I'll be happy to keep buying up wines that retail at $60 in other states for $19.99 and never complain about it. The overall quality level of my "cellar" has gone up tremendously since I discovered the Chairman's Selections.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Hi Mike, I did some checking on the Collegeville store and sent an email to the people responsible for the allocations of the Chairman Selections to see if anything can be done about increasing the number of selections in that store. I know that the amount and variety of the products are based on previous sales history at each location with larger ‘super stores’ getting the majority of the product selections. This formula is also based on the amount of total cases purchased. Katie pretty much nailed it with her post. I’m still trying to find out who responded to Mike the way they did—it makes my blood boil! :angry:

I did do some snooping and found the following Chairman Selection products currently available in Collegeville: Ravenswood Zinfandel Teldeschi, Saintsbury Pinot Noir, Sequoia Grove, Nardi Brunello, Saint Francis Merlot and Cab.

They are slated to get Atalon Merlot, Cambria Pinot Noir Bench Break, Carmel Road Chardonnay, Dry Lands Sauvignon Blanc, Flora Springs Trilogy, Soliloquy, and Toad Hall Pinot Noir, Liparita Cab, Pedroncelli Cab, Pine Ridge Andrus, Ridge Home Ranch, St Supery Rutherford and the Valdubon.

***I also just wanted to correct something that I posted earlier. I was mistaken that you will be able to see the upcoming Chairman’s Selection before they come in on here The new product search feature on the informational web site will not show inventories unless there are more than six cases state wide. So it looks like I still can post the upcoming selections to give you all a heads up before they come in, such as the Liparita Cab deal coming in should be a steal at $13. :biggrin:

-Deidre Costello

Thanks for your heads' up Deidre! I opened the hanna cab last night and it was very nice indeed. At $20, a super deal. Much more balanced to my taste compared with the St francis merlot I had earlier in the week. I am glad I bought more than one!

evan

Dough can sense fear.

Thanks Evan,

I’m wondering if anyone else tried the Sequoia Cab Reserve yet? I think this is a well-balanced well-made wine at $20 (I posted my notes earlier). I’m about to drop a few more $$ on that one, just curious if anyone else had an equally positive reaction to it.

I did do some snooping and found the following Chairman Selection products currently available in Collegeville: Ravenswood Zinfandel Teldeschi, Saintsbury Pinot Noir, Sequoia Grove, Nardi Brunello, Saint Francis Merlot and Cab.

-Deidre Costello

Which leaves them ahead of CC on at least the Saintsbury :sad: When I went into 12th St. to pick up my six-pack, they had sold every drop in the store (including *my* drops!!!!) to some resto shmoe (hmmm... Katie? :wink: ). Fortunately Corey (who rocks, by the way) tracked me down the *last* six bottles at 19th and Chestnut.

So happy ending. :biggrin:

-Deidre Costello

Which leaves them ahead of CC on at least the Saintsbury :sad: When I went into 12th St. to pick up my six-pack, they had sold every drop in the store (including *my* drops!!!!) to some resto shmoe (hmmm... Katie? :wink: ). Fortunately Corey (who rocks, by the way) tracked me down the *last* six bottles at 19th and Chestnut.

So happy ending. :biggrin:

Sorry - wasn't me this time. I only bought two bottles for personal consumption. I never buy stuff that's listed or available at the Specialty store for the restaurant. Too easy for folks to bitch about the markups and I'd rather show our clientele stuff that's "meant" for restaurants.

I do know several restaurant/bar managers that do avail themselves of the great deals and rotate their lists often to reflect whatever they found that week.

Corey is very helpful. This is what I'm talking about when I say to befriend your local wine manager. Comes in handy sometimes!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Thanks Dee and Katie,

Yes, I was disappointed that the selections weren't in the Collegeville store. But the point I didn't make very well was that in a closed system like this they need to be fair about distribution. I got an offline email a few weeks ago from somebody in central Pa who was only then getting all those wines we were raving about before christmas. So if you are going to have a state controlled system then make it fair for everyone and not just a select few in both major cities. I was prety sure that Collegeville would get some of those selections, but I still don't understand why they didn't have it with the initial distribution(they get a delivery every week).

END OF SERMON

Best to all,

Mike

PS Dee, I'm still waiting for my two bottles of _______ Collegeville was supposed to get some but never did.

Thanks Dee and Katie,

Yes, I was disappointed that the selections weren't in the Collegeville store. But the point I didn't make very well was that in a closed system like this they need to be fair about distribution. I got an offline email a few weeks ago from somebody in central Pa who was only then getting all those wines we were raving about before christmas. So if you are going to have a state controlled system then make it fair for everyone and not just a select few in both major cities. I was prety sure that Collegeville would get some of those selections, but I still don't understand why they didn't have it with the initial distribution(they get a delivery every week).

END OF SERMON

Best to all,

Mike

PS Dee, I'm still waiting for my two bottles of _______ Collegeville was supposed to get some but never did.

Just a comment on why one part of the state would have merchandise before another part of the state. The state has three distribution centers that merchandise come into. It does not come into one centralized location then distributed from there it is actually distributed from the point of origin. Once a container is full it is shipped to its destination this causes a delay when other containers for the other distribution centers are not full and are not shipped until they are. A perfect example of this was the Cakebread Benchlands that came in and was sold out in the Pittsburgh and Central regions while Philly was about 3 –4 weeks behind.

P.S Mike in regards to your ___ I’m trying to find out what’s going on with it. I’ll PM you when I know something more

I am also looking forward to the new 2002 cakebread cabs when they show up here in Philly.  They usually start showing up around March and they are a nostalgic fave of ours since the time I lived in the bay area. 

Evan

Evan, About the Cakebread Cab ’02 (not a Chairman’s Selection) arrival I talked to the vendor that reps the product yesterday, they said they were just getting their allocation and the state usually runs a few weeks behind so your estimated of mid to late March should be right on.

Anyone out there tried a Spanish white called (I believe) Las Brisas?

I bought a bottle of this (n.v.) at the Chestnut Street store a week ago, and everyone who had a taste of it loved it.  It was a crisp white wine, very citrusy--mainly orange and grapefruit flavors.  Not too bad a value, either, at about $10.  Goes great with fish.  Pity the fish I served it with had been left out somewhere before I got it.

If you are looking for this one in the product search I think we have it as Las Brisus at $10.99?? Las Brisas sounded like a winner to me at that price.....so I played around in the product search and came up with this I'm not sure its the same wine but will try a bottle at that price.

Dee,

Thanks for all your help. This morning I got the Saintsbury PN, Sequoia Cab, and the Nardi Brunello. They were unloading the truck when I got there and I believe the Flora Springs was on it. I'll check back. While checking out I had the distribution conversation with one of the managers. She said that her biggest complaint from people was exactly what were are talking about. The lack of it!

When the '92 Burgess came out She had saved me a case and when I picked it up she said they got two cases and one was already being shipped to CC because they were out of it. Bottom line was I got the only bottles in Collegeville. We are going to an Italian BYOB sat night so I'll post something on the Nardi. Again, thanks Dee.

Best,

Mike

Thank you to Deidre for checking on the 2002 cakebreads! I look forward to buying some.

Mike, please do report on the nardi brunello - I bought a bottle and have yet to try it. I am still working on my bottle of Hanna cab after 2 days - I use the greg moore method of pouring left over into containers that juuust fit to keep the oxidation at a minimum. Seems to work.

I got my shipment today of the pine ridge andrus and am trying a bottle of the hanna chardonnay for yucks too.

There isnt enough time to drink all that I want to is there?!

evan

Dough can sense fear.

Mike, please do report on the nardi brunello - I bought a bottle and have yet to try it.  I am still working on my bottle of Hanna cab after 2 days - I use the greg moore method of pouring left over into containers that juuust fit to keep the oxidation at a minimum.  Seems to work.

that is a nice way of storing it for a little while. i use those voss water bottles for this purpose, since they're 375 ml and i can just pour half the bottle in there right away and seal it up for the next day (for when i'm the only one drinking with dinner).

Mike, please do report on the nardi brunello - I bought a bottle and have yet to try it.  I am still working on my bottle of Hanna cab after 2 days - I use the greg moore method of pouring left over into containers that juuust fit to keep the oxidation at a minimum.  Seems to work.

that is a nice way of storing it for a little while. i use those voss water bottles for this purpose, since they're 375 ml and i can just pour half the bottle in there right away and seal it up for the next day (for when i'm the only one drinking with dinner).

This is another one of those never-ending topics, but... I myself have found that just simple refrigeration works best in the short term. I've tried other methods, like nitrogen, vacuum, small containers, usw, but refrigeration yielded the best glass, come the next day. In retrospect, I've also come to believe this makes sense: the purpose of all these methods is to retard chemical reactions, and given the difficulty of *completely* taking oxygen out of the system, lowering the temperature would likely do that best.

Or possibly not, of course.

A well rinsed Snapple bottle is a good vessel for this as well. :cool:

And then refrigerate.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

A well rinsed Snapple bottle is a good vessel for this as well. :cool:

And then refrigerate.

Well, sure - if you want to be *that* way about it :wink:

On a tangential point, Corey (to whom all praise is due) mentioned that the PLCB carries *some* selection of half-bottles, and that he was hoping at least some of that order might be in tomorrow. Hope to find some nice stuff.

I don't know why, but I never seem to have that leftover problem.

ha, yeah....

since my wife often doesn't drink any wine, i pour half the bottle into another container and refrigerate it before i start drinking/dinner.

it's not a matter of leftovers being a problem--it's more like trying to make sure i have leftovers and don't drink a bottle of wine every night...