• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 1)

Good News for everyone in the Philly area concerning the Cakebread!!! Philly still hasn’t gotten their allocation yet, their shipment arrived from California today so our warehouse should be shipping out in the very near future…Should be going to the following stores on their next shipment before New Years!

In Philly: Chestnut Hill, Franklin Mills, 1218 Chestnut

In Bucks Co. Newtown and Doylestown

In Chester Co. Exton, West Chester, Devon

In Mont. Co. Ardmore, Maple Glen, Bryn Mawr, Jenkintown, Blue Bell, Sweede Square, Lansdale and Narberth.

I hope this helps in your search, I know this will sell out quickly in each of these stores. -Deidre

Good News for everyone in the Philly area concerning the Cakebread!!!  Philly still hasn’t gotten their allocation yet, their shipment arrived from California today so our warehouse should be shipping out in the very near future…Should be going to the following stores on their next shipment before New Years! 

In Mont. Co. Ardmore, Maple Glen, Bryn Mawr, Jenkintown, Blue Bell, Sweede Square, Lansdale and Narberth.

I hope this helps in your search, I know this will sell out quickly in each of these stores.  -Deidre

Thanks, Deidre

Hate to be a pest, any idea if Lancaster will get any more?

I availed myself of the free shipping deal and ordered up a couple of bottles of the Cakebread wines (1 Cabernet and 1 Sauvignon Blanc) as well as a couple of the Newton wines and a few odds and ends that looked intriguing and were listed in the Chairman's Selections. I just received the e-mail today that they were already delivered to my local store, a scant two days later. Awesome customer service!! I am duly impressed. :smile:

Now that I know the Cakebread is coming to the 12th & Chestnut store I might have to pick up a couple more if I can get there quick enough!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Good News for everyone in the Philly area concerning the Cakebread!!!  Philly still hasn’t gotten their allocation yet, their shipment arrived from California today so our warehouse should be shipping out in the very near future…Should be going to the following stores on their next shipment before New Years! 

I hope this helps in your search, I know this will sell out quickly in each of these stores.  -Deidre

Thanks, Deidre

Hate to be a pest, any idea if Lancaster will get any more?

Sorry to report that the rest of the state outside of Philly is not getting anymore. The State got the last cases from the winery. Philly never got their original shipment it was delayed in California. The stores listed above will be getting it before New Years.

By the way Katie, The Lancaster Cabernet just came into the web site today! So that should be appearing in stores in the near future. -Deidre

By the way Katie, The Lancaster Cabernet just came into the web site today!  So that should be appearing in stores in the near future.  -Deidre

YAY!!! 061.gif

I'll be calling and asking the store manager to hold a couple of those for me ASAP. Thanks for the heads up!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I just called the store at 1218 Chestnut. They are out of the Cakebread Cab, but do have the Merlot (4 bottles at $45.49@) and the Sauvignon Blanc (untold quantities at $20.29@). They didn't think they were getting any more this week. :sad:

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

I just called the store at 1218 Chestnut.  They are out of the Cakebread Cab, but do have the Merlot (4 bottles at $45.49@) and the Sauvignon Blanc (untold quantities at $20.29@).  They didn't think they were getting any more this week. :sad:

I can't speak authoritatively (Deidre can), but in my experience the individual stores have only *very* limited awareness of incoming shipments. In her post above Deidre seemed to indicate they wouldn't be getting this new shipment until next week. I think it's entirely possible the person you spoke to wasn't informed about this new allocation, and basically just told you they had none. Anyway, I apologize if I'm off, but I'd hate to see you miss out because you'd given up based on incomplete information.

We are fortunately to have great sources of information! :biggrin:

I live close to the store and have to pick other things up for this weekend's festivities anyway, so I will definitely stop by and check.

Keeping fingers crossed...

Steph

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

Hi again, Our stores wouldn't know that the shipment ,for our Philly area stores, was delayed in California. On Wed. of this week I talked to the person tracking shipments and mentioned the Cakebread. They said that it arrived on Wed. morning and would ship out to the stores before New Years I take that to be with the stores next delivery truck. You might want to check with your store and ask them what day they receive their shipment. Our stores don't actually know what they are getting until it comes in that day.

Our stores don't actually know what they are getting until it comes in that day.

Do you think perhaps Newman may be thinking about working on that as a next step, improving the back-office part of PLCB, so as to provide better customer service at the stores?

Just a thought.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

... On Wed. of this week I talked to the person tracking shipments and mentioned the Cakebread.  They said that it arrived on Wed. morning and would ship out to the stores before New Years I take that to be with the stores next delivery truck. ....

I just scored a few bottles of the Cakebread Cab tonight at the West Chester store. And there's still a decent pile, right inside the front door. I was temped to get more, but all the recent browsing around, looking for the Cakebread, has resulted in me buying WAY too many other bottles. Much of it has been Chairman's Selections and/or recommended here, so, thanks PALCB and eGullet!

BTW, the Lancaster Red is in too, but I was too focused to notice it until I was walking out. Insane bargain...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I just got off the phone with 12th & Chestnut. There's 17 CASES of the Lancaster Red.!!! :shock: I'm gonna stop and pick up a few bottles on my way home tonight. Woo-hoo!

Merry, merry... :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I was reading this thread yesterday just before my wife and i went to buy our new years eve stash of champanges and figured i'd check and see if the wine and spirits shop in hockessin de. had it. Well, they did, but the cab was $89.00. Does cakebread have different vintages of their cabs? Just wondering. I love the big reds but rarely dig that deep on a whim.

Barry

...and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce it tastes alot more like prunes than rhubarb does. groucho

Well, they did, but the cab was $89.00.  Does cakebread have different vintages of their cabs?  Just wondering.  I love the big reds but rarely dig that deep on a whim. 

Barry

There are 4 different varities of Cakebread Cab Sav.

A bit of trivia, Dennis Cakebread's wife is form north Wilmington.

That IS interesting. I'll definately try to score a few bottles. I'm a baker from southern chester co. and i WISH my name was cakebread!! THAT would be cool. :laugh:

...and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce it tastes alot more like prunes than rhubarb does. groucho

Although I now cannot locate the link I read on AP site that PLCB announced record sales for this year. I believe this is due almost entirely to this thread and the Aphrodite of Alcohol herownself Katie Loeb. In fact I propose some sort of kickback deal to Katie for this.

Also the Sunday stores help. It is such a pleasure knowing i can get a bottle of wine on a Sunday if I want it. And the selection and the service is also enjoyable. I feel a New Year trip to the Fruitville Pike store coming on just to see what they got. maybe I'll tell them I know Katie and see if I can get a piece of that kickb.., I mean payo... i mean gratuity that should be coming her way.

Although I now cannot locate the link I read on AP site that PLCB announced record sales for this year.  I believe this is due almost entirely to this thread and the Aphrodite of Alcohol herownself Katie Loeb.  In fact I propose some sort of kickback deal to Katie for this.

Also the Sunday stores help.  It is such a pleasure knowing i can get a bottle of wine on a Sunday if I want it.  And the selection and the service is also enjoyable. I feel a New Year trip to the Fruitville Pike store coming on just to see what they got.  maybe I'll tell them I know Katie and see if I can get a piece of that kickb.., I mean payo... i mean gratuity that should be coming her way.

:blush::laugh:

Mike, you are now officially elected as President of my Fan Club! Actually, I'm hoping that the PLCB decides I'm too valuable to toil away in the Private Sector and creates the new position of State Aphrodite of Alcohol, or Potables Laureate of the Commonwealth.

Whadda think? Am I still overmedicated or do I have a real shot here?? :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Katie,

Go home and open a bottle of the Lancaster and be thankful you're not part of that bureaucracy. You know the state store motto is "Never Smile".

Best,

Mike

They're working on that, Mike.

The checkout clerk at the 1228 Chestnut Street superstore took the time to banter with me on an extremely busy New Year's Eve, as I was stocking up our liquor closet with friends of mine.

Maybe it's because she recognizes me now, since I come in there often enough -- "You're the one who doesn't drink, yet you're always in here!" (Hmmm. Fodder for a future session with my therapist?) But she was very cheerful and pleasant, joking with a few other regulars and smiling with the rest.

Maybe she just hasn't been through the training yet. But that can't be--I've dealt with her for more than six months.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone tried any of the new Chairman's Selections or Premium Value selections? The Clos du Val Reserve and Cline Zin look interesting.

Not those two specifically. But over the last couple of years I have tried many. I haven't always loved every one, but the choices for the Chaiman's Selections are always at least credible - and the prices are a bargain, comparatively speaking.

And in the past I have liked both Cline and Clos du Val.

Since Diedre's been busy I'm going to fill in for her this once.

1998 LUCE in magnum $50 at your state store now. Great wooden case and the bottles are beautiful. Collegeville mgr said this was the best in their last employee tasting.

Best,

Mike