• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 1)

Tonight I cracked open a bottle of Bodegas Valdubon Riserva 2000. I found this at the 12th & Chestnut store last week for $14.99 and picked up a couple of bottles. Having just tasted through virtually every Spanish wine available in PA pretty recently, this wine was a bit of a surprise. It's 100% tempranillo but far more elegant and less rustic than most wines in its price range. The nose is all about an explosion of pure black cherry scent. There's less spice and leather than most Tempranillo I have tried but there's a nice chocolate-ey-ness to this wine that's quite pleasing. The time spent in oak barrels is evident in how smooth and silky the wine tastes and in the lengthy finish. I had it with a grilled steak and cheddar mashed potatoes and it was very good. I might have even preferred this with something like roast beef or pot roast since the tannins were so subdued and silky.

There's still a little bit of this around if you want to look for it. I'd say it's worth a return visit.

Host's note: this topic became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, and has been divided into parts.  The discussion continues here:

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 2).

Edited by Smithy (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol