• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

fingerling potatoes

hollis

A fun one to do is twice baked, they are small enough so two or three is just enough. Try a little truffle in them.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

cut them into similar sizes, steam them, then roll them in a bowl with softened (not melted) butter and shallots. sprinkle with sea salt. oh god.

Even better, par boil, cut in smaller sizes, toss in bacon drippings. Roast.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

cut them into similar sizes, steam them, then roll them in a bowl with softened (not melted) butter and shallots. sprinkle with sea salt. oh god.

Okay, I don't get it -- with as small as they are, why parboil? Am I just being lame?

Okay, I don't get it -- with as small as they are, why parboil? Am I just being lame?

I guess it depends on how starchy they are.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

If they're absolutely perfect fingerlings, enjoy them at their purest. Put them unpeeled in a saucepan, cover with cold water, add about half the amount of salt you normally would and — the secret ingredient — a few sprigs of fresh dill. Bring to a boil over medium heat and simmer until just tender. Drain and serve immediately with salted butter (put a pat on your plate and add a dab to each bite). Excellent alongside most any simply prepared fish.

If they're absolutely perfect fingerlings, enjoy them at their purest. Put them unpeeled in a saucepan, cover with cold water, add about half the amount of salt you normally would and — the secret ingredient — a few sprigs of fresh dill. Bring to a boil over medium heat and simmer until just tender. Drain and serve immediately with salted butter (put a pat on your plate and add a dab to each bite). Excellent alongside most any simply prepared fish.

Instead of butter I add a dollop of creme fraiche.

Here is a way to make pasta that uses a risotto type method. It's based on a recipe published in the NYT a while ago. It apparently is in a style common in some places in Italy. It uses fingerling potatoes and produces a luscious creamy sauce for the pasta that my kids love.

The technique involves saute-ing onions, garlic, and fingerling potatoes in a mix of butter and olive oil until they just start to turn brown. Meanwhile heat 5 or 6 cups of chicken or vegetable stock in a saucepan. Add your pasta (any short, textured pasta will work but the original recipe called for strozzapreti) to the garlic, onions and potatoes. Now add enough salt and pepper to taste along with a couple of peeled seeded and chopped tomatoes, a bunch of basil and more garlic. Now add a cup or so of hot stock and stir until it is almost absorbed. Keep adding the stock about a cup at at time until the pasta is cooked to al dente stage and a creamy sauce has developed. This takes about 20 minutes. Stir continuously. Mix in a cup or so of fresh grated parmesiano-reggiano to serve.

Howard

Chips - one potato each chip

Pommes Chateau: Put in a thick pan with lots of butter, cover with a lid and put on a low heat for a long time, (like two hours) shaking occaisionally. Salt. It's like pot-roasting the potatoes. Best way I know for new spuds.

I slice them lengthwise into thirds or fourths, toss them with melted duck fat and lots of herbs and either pan-fry them or oven-roast them.

:wub::wub:

This is my favorite method. But I leave them whole and use a bit of sea salt.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

The lazy summer method I use:

If I'm grilling something already, I usually give'em a good scrub, get them similar in size, toss olive oil, rosemary, sea salt, and taters on a big square of foil, fold the foil over to form a packet and toss it on the grill about 20 minutes (10 a side) before I'm going to start grilling the main item. Easy, tasty, and no dishes or stove/oven required!

I slice them lengthwise into thirds or fourths, toss them with melted duck fat and lots of herbs and either pan-fry them or oven-roast them.

This is absolutely the most perfect way to prepare these little gems.

I also split them in half and put them on the sheet pan under the broiler grid when I make Sara Moulton's "Blasted Chicken".

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

:wub::wub:

This is my favorite method. But I leave them whole and use a bit of sea salt.

Me too! If I have duck fat handy. Some of the above ideas are tempting, but the simple way always pleases me.

I try to peel them into easily rolled ovals and always saute them. And if no duck fat is available, saute with ample butter. Then toss in some chopped parsley at the end.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Well, I happen to have some right now!

If you buy whole ducks now and then it isn't that hard to collect.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

The lazy summer method I use:

If I'm grilling something already, I usually give'em a good scrub, get them similar in size, toss olive oil, rosemary, sea salt, and taters on a big square of foil, fold the foil over to form a packet and toss it on the grill about 20 minutes (10 a side) before I'm going to start grilling the main item.  Easy, tasty, and no dishes or stove/oven required!

A favourite variation on this: Make individual bundles of potatoes tossed with melted butter, a few lardons (bacon chunks about the size of the first joint of your little finger), some chopped garlic, a fresh thyme sprig or two, a bay leaf, some sea salt and a splash of water. If you happen to have a canned truffle lying around (lucky you!), chop it and distribute it among the budles, along with the juice from the can. Seal tightly (I use two sheets of foil) and cook on the grill, among the coals at the edge of a fire or in the oven. Open the bundles at the table so everyone can swoon over the aroma.

How many people here actually have duck fat sitting in their refrigerators??

Schmaltz perhaps but duck fat?  :rolleyes:

Always. It's a staple. Usually salvaged from cooking duck breasts and duck confit, sometimes rendered from fat pulled from whole ducks before roasting or stewing. In the rare event we run out, we run out and buy a small tub from the butcher. Keeps several months in the fridge and indefinitely in the freezer.

Schmaltz perhaps but duck fat?  :rolleyes:

I do, and almost always have duck and goose fat on hand, since we cook each, whole, quite often. And yes, love the fingerling potatoes cooked in it... :smile:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Ayup.

Though not sliced so small and blanched first for fluffiness.

Because, you know, fluffiness is next to godliness if there's also a crunch.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Schmaltz perhaps but duck fat? :rolleyes:

I make duck for the express purpose of rendering the fat. As soon as my supply starts shrinking I make another duck.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs