• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Fresh Pasta Topic

Scott -- DFW

I now have fresh fettuccini down acceptably well and have started in on ravioli/tortelli.  Sadly my first attempt was flawed.  I have a beautiful 50mm (OD) round ravioli cutter similar to one pictured in Vetri's book.  I used a #40 Zeroll to portion the filling.  When I tried to cut out the result it made an awful mess.  Way too much filling.  Though as a consolation prize I ended up with a lovely meal of square hand cut ravioli.

What is the proper amount of filling for a 50mm round ravioli?  I'm not very good about judging quantities by eye and I'd like to get an appropriately sized Zeroll for my cutter.

If it matters the filling was ricotta, nutmeg, white pepper, parmesan, and egg yolk.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I note in The Fine Art of Italian Cooking Bugialli calls for a teaspoon of filling for a two inch ravioli cutter.  I think a teaspoon is less than any of the Zeroll dishers, the smallest of which is 10 ml.  Would a Zeroll #100 be something reasonable to try for my application?

I can't speak to that because I usually piped the fillings for mine. I can say that I usually had to use less filling than called for, otherwise I'd struggle to get them sealed.

If I'm making them regularly (ie, when I had 'em on my menu at the restaurant) I eventually get to the point where they can be filled-to-the-brim, otherwise I'd just make the ravioli larger than necessary and then trim them down to size so the ratio of pasta to filling would be right. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I note in The Fine Art of Italian Cooking Bugialli calls for a teaspoon of filling for a two inch ravioli cutter.  I think a teaspoon is less than any of the Zeroll dishers, the smallest of which is 10 ml.  Would a Zeroll #100 be something reasonable to try for my application?

NorPro makes a 1 tsp disher

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 0:05 PM, Kerry Beal said:

NorPro makes a 1 tsp disher

Oh well, the Zeroll #100 was too large.  Orange is a pretty color though.

I looked for a Norpro 1 teaspoon, but the smallest I found was:

http://wholesale.norpro.com/index.php/s-s-scoop-25mm.html

Do you have a link?

34 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Do you have a link?

Well mine appears to be 25 mm and holds 1 tsp water.  If I try to pour half a tablespoon which is equal to 1 1/2 teaspoons then it overflows considerably.  I hope @Kerry Beal checks in. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

19 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Well mine appears to be 25 mm and holds 1 tsp water.  If I try to pour half a tablespoon which is equal to 1 1/2 teaspoons then it overflows considerably.  I hope @Kerry Beal checks in. 

Well, if it is 25mm diameter, that's 1.25cm radius, so pi r square and all of that, the Norpro should hold 6.17cc or 1.25 teaspoons.

Anything to put off my edX homework.

23 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Well, if it is 25mm diameter, that's 1.25cm radius, so pi r square and all of that, the Norpro should hold 6.17cc or 1.25 teaspoons.

Anything to put off my edX homework.

May be my water is heavy?

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@Anna N -- I notice 25mm diameter equates to 1.04 UK teaspoons.  What size teaspoon measure do you use in Canada?

5 ml to a tsp 15ml to a Tbs. 

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

That would be the area not the volume. Volume for a ball that's 25mm in diameter would be 8.2ml.

Half of that would be 4.1ml or just under a tsp.

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Do you have a link?

No link - will weigh contents once kid in bed.

5 minutes ago, Paul Fink said:

That would be the area not the volume. Volume for a ball that's 25mm in diameter would be 8.2ml.

Half of that would be 4.1ml or just under a tsp.

Hangs head in shame.

Meanwhile back to pasta.  These pictures were from my first attempt at ravioli a week ago:

PastaStrips01232017.png

Strips rolled out to position 8 on the KitchenAid.

CutRavioli01232017.png

Cut square ravioli (after failure of round) filled using Zeroll #40.  Clearly my technique needs a bit more work.  Note the less than well sealed edge.

Ravioli were filled with ricotta, egg yolk, parmesan, nutmeg, white pepper, and a pinch of salt.

SageButterSauce01232017.png

Here is the ravioli plated with a simple sage butter sauce.  The result made up for the cosmetic imperfections.

Last night I rolled out the other half of this batch of dough, which had been frozen.  I made the same filling.  For one thing I noticed last night's pasta was not as tender, though still OK.  This may have been from incorporating additional flour while rolling.  Or it could just be a property of old, leftover dough.

I served last night's ravioli in a light tomato sauce.  This is my favorite sauce with store bought frozen ravioli.  But it did not work at all with fresh.  Once the ravioli were cut into on the plate the ricotta mixture blended with the sauce in a most unappetizing way:  visually, texturally, and with respect to flavor.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
spelling (log)
  • Like 8

OK I think I have this rationalized, at least in what's left of my old mind:

Norpro rates their #675 25mm scoop at 0.25 oz or half a tablespoon.  But has been shown the bowl has a capacity of about a US teaspoon.  What makes sense is if Norpro is not considering level measures.  If one dishes out something the consistency of, say, ricotta filling, the portions would be more like one and a half teaspoon.  Leveling the bowl with a knife would likely yield a teaspoon.

In any event I am relatively safe, amazon shows delivery in one to three months, except from third party sellers.

53 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

OK I think I have this rationalized, at least in what's left of my old mind:

Norpro rates their #675 25mm scoop at 0.25 oz or half a tablespoon.  But has been shown the bowl has a capacity of about a US teaspoon.  What makes sense is if Norpro is not considering level measures.  If one dishes out something the consistency of, say, ricotta filling, the portions would be more like one and a half teaspoon.  Leveling the bowl with a knife would likely yield a teaspoon.

In any event I am relatively safe, amazon shows delivery in one to three months, except from third party sellers.

Water in the scoop weighed in at 5 grams. So 1 tsp level.  

How much are the 3rd party sellers asking for them? I know they were cheaper in Premier in Buffalo than I bought them wholesale directly from Norpro.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Water in the scoop weighed in at 5 grams. So 1 tsp level.  

How much are the 3rd party sellers asking for them? I know they were cheaper in Premier in Buffalo than I bought them wholesale directly from Norpro.

$10.99 from amazon, $15.99 from third party with prime shipping.

Did I mention that I failed geometry in high school?

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
Spelling not so great either (log)
  • Like 1

Tried to Make Cuttle fish fresh pasta Ravioli:   (Pasta, ricotta cheese, cured quail egg)

100g Ap Flour

1egg

1 small packet of ink -Had a thickener

The pasta was really dry-  I put it together in a ball and Vacuum sealed it

Took it out next day..  and it wouldn't even roll through @ 1  Atlas roller

I thought the packet would have added liquid..  so I didn't add any additional oil water or yolk.

I ended up rolling it by hand

Here was the dish 

32442681902_3267aa6f49_o.jpg

• Like 6

Its good to have Morels

I must stop reading this topic else I will be lured into making my own pasta.  It is very tempting because one can use leftovers in stuffed pasta and then they reappear as something truly transformed.  Hmmmmm.  

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

I must stop reading this topic else I will be lured into making my own pasta.  It is very tempting because one can use leftovers in stuffed pasta and then they reappear as something truly transformed.  Hmmmmm.  

Shall I bring over the machine?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Shall I bring over the machine?

Hmmm. Why? I have a lovely pasta machine gathering dust in my closet.:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

Hmmm. Why? I have a lovely pasta machine gathering dust in my closet.:P

Ah yes - vague memory of seeing it now. Damn - thought I could offload one.

• Like 2