• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Fresh Pasta Topic

Scott -- DFW

Since I am on the topic of fresh pasta, I don't think I ever posted about making fresh cavatelli. It may be one of the easiest fresh pasta to make.

First you start with ricotta, preferably homemade.

6728022327_1ae1c1b234_z.jpg

You mix the ricotta with flour, eggs, and orange zest in this version.

6728013639_6d8c0b9830_z.jpg

6728009601_c9a0bfd75a_z.jpg

The dough is fairly light-weight so it can be kneaded in the stand mixer without risking burning out the motor.

6728008617_959bd05c8e_z.jpg

After a resting period, it can be rolled and cut into little strips.

6728004677_78c6b1d29e_z.jpg

With the help of my little assistant and a cavatelli cutter, the process is fun and quite fast.

6728003331_df04a9ffff_z.jpg

They are dusted in semolina flour and can be cooked immediately or frozen for a later use.

Here is a picture of the first batch I made during a cooking class with Chef Ryan Johnston from whisknladle. The cavatelli was served with roasted bell peppers, Italian sausage and arugula (summer lasagne on the left).

6087238217_7a61aea15d_z.jpg

Here is another version I made this spring with cavolo nero, broccoli rabe pesto, and Italian sausage (from the Dinner thread).

6864114852_df27024a06_z.jpg

FrogPrincesse, where did you get that blue plastic pasta rack?

Chris,

I got it at my local cookware store Great News but it's also available online at amazon. It's made by Marcato. It is collapsible and folds flat so it takes up less space for storage. It comes with a plastic wand (that my daughter calls "magic wand") that allows you to transfer the pasta from the machine to the drying rack. Very handy. I paid about $40.

Time to bump this topic back up, I think. For dinner tonight I made a dish from Giuliano Bugialli's Bugialli on Pasta

Papardelle ai peperoni

Pappardelle with chicken in sweet pepper sauce

Can you share the basics of the pasta recipe used here? Looks awesome.

I don't think there was anything unusual about the pasta: just eggs and flour, maybe a little olive oil. Honestly, I probably didn't look at the recipe in the book.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

The Babbo recipe linked to by Frogprincesse above uses cups, which is not how the Italians express it in their recipes. The traditional recipe for home made egg pasta is one egg + 100g flour per serve plus a bit of salt. If the dough is too soft, you add more flour; too hard, add some water. The flour needs to be Italian 00 or semolina. That's it. Make sure you rest the dough for around 15 minutes before putting it through the machine. The machine kneads as well as shapes the dough.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

The Babbo recipe linked to by Frogprincesse above uses cups, which is not how the Italians express it in their recipes. The traditional recipe for home made egg pasta is one egg + 100g flour per serve plus a bit of salt. If the dough is too soft, you add more flour; too hard, add some water. The flour needs to be Italian 00 or semolina. That's it. Make sure you rest the dough for around 15 minutes before putting it through the machine. The machine kneads as well as shapes the dough.

Every time I use the 1 egg + 100g of flour ratio, I wonder how big Italian eggs must be... because my pasta doughs at that ratio invariably end up way too dry... it won't even come together. Of course, I'm not using 00 flour, either, so maybe that's the problem.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Every time I use the 1 egg + 100g of flour ratio, I wonder how big Italian eggs must be... because my pasta doughs at that ratio invariably end up way too dry... it won't even come together. Of course, I'm not using 00 flour, either, so maybe that's the problem.

Regarding volume vs. weight measurements, I don't think it really matters because as nickrey wrote the amount of flour needs to be fine-tuned anyway. If it's too dry, use less flour next time or add another egg... it's easy.

Regarding the type of flour, all-purpose flour works too (that's what I used in the pictures above).

FrogPrincesse, any photo of the cavatelli cutter? I'm trying to imagine how it works.

Linda,

Here it is. It clamps to the work surface. You feed your little strip of dough and turn the handle. The machine forms and cuts the cavatelli. It's quick and easy as well as fun to watch in action.

8009357919_ff812a58e8_z.jpg

8009357501_59913c6de1_z.jpg

Can someone figure out how to put ours next to each other for comparison!!

Here FP!!

6972867488_aa5bac9c80_h.jpg

Excellent. They seem a little more plump that the ones my machine produces. I am sure they are delightful. Do you use ricotta in the dough or just a regular pasta dough recipe?

I'm thinking these were 50/50 Flour/potato plus 2 yolk.. basic!! I think you can see a color differance..

This also is a ( claimed)

Gnocchi roller.. so I pushed these out

I could be wrong..

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

That is some gorgeous pasta. I could eat that morning, noon and night.

I have that pasta drying rack that Frogprincess showed us in my basket on Amazon. Can't wait to order and get it. It's perfect!

So, I have a question. How do you guys store your freshly made pasta? Or, do you only make as much as you will eat for one meal?