• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ray's the Steaks

cjsadler

I've yet to enjoy Ray's, and I completely understand this policy if the place is doing you a favor by squeezing you in, but otherwise? If I were planning on dropping some serious money on cocktails, apps, wines, entrees, desserts, and coffees, and wanted 90, 105, even 120 minutes, don't I deserve the time?

Edited because my first sentence made it sound like I have been to Ray's and not enjoyed it. Meant to say that I haven't been yet, but am sure that I will based on eG's advice. This also explains my ignorance about the cocktails. But 90 minutes still seems short.

Edited by DCatty (log)
Save Pale Male <--- GO HERE!

I've only had this happen once when Michael squeezed us in last minute on a busy night and asked that we give up the table within 90 minutes.....absolutely no problem there.

Good point. Curiously in our case, this issue came up not only when we were making a Friday reservation for three later this month, but also when we asked about booking a mid-week birthday dinner for four in late May(!) Just odd.

Edited by tripewriter (log)

The knife is mightier than the pen.

I've only had this happen once when Michael squeezed us in last minute on a busy night and asked that we give up the table within 90 minutes.....absolutely no problem there. If they ask you to do that they pace the meal so it's possible.

Going to be tough to have cocktails at RTS. Only beer and wine. Have that bottle of bubbly with your clam chowder and scallops.

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

Let's hope that a second location doesnt dilute the rare pleasure of a place like Ray's. Ate there this past Saturday, and it was one of the best restaurant experiences I've ever had. Second class treatment indeed. I cant say enough about the quality of each dish sampled and the utterly warm and caring service--on a packed Saturday night no less. It lived up to the hype, it far exceeded the hype. It kicked the hype's ass.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I guess you are not the only one having an issue with this (unless its you):

From Tom's Chat

Fairfax, VA: Hi Tom - I recently made reservations at Ray's the Steaks for three people on a Thursday night. When I asked for a table at 6pm, the hostess replied with "Sure, we can seat you at 6pm as long as we can have the table back by 7:30." When we arrived for our reservation, we were again reminded by the hostess that we had the table until 7:30. My question is this: Is it appropriate for a resturant to tell customers when they have to leave? I understand that Ray's is a very small place so they need to get as many people in as possible, but I thought their approach was a bit rude. No other complaints - food and service were excellent! Thanks for your insight - your wisdom is always appreciated!

Tom Sietsema: Ray's is very small and immensely popular. Personally, I'd rather be told up front about any time limit on a table. On the bright side, Ray's the Stakes is expanding to Silver Spring late this spring.

I find it hard to believe that thinking beings can't understand why sitting and having multiple cups of coffee is the rude behavior while others are waiting for their table. Same people are bitching when they are the 7:30 reservation and the 6:00 folks won't stop camping out. You've been fed without being rushed or treated rudely. The service has been excellent by your own admission. That table is a limited resource for the restaurant and you're DONE. It's time to go. If you wish to sit and chat go to the bar if the restaurant has one, or go to another bar or your home to catch up with your friends. Or better yet, go out later in the evening so this isn't an issue. Would anyone consider napping in their doctor's examination room and tying up his/her resources that way??? Having a coffee clatch in the only dressing room at your favorite upscale boutique??? Just asking. This all seems self evident to me.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Even though I agree , I still think that any restaurant should have a backup plan just incase. I mean these are people , not machines , everyone can not eat at the same time , some people eat very slow , some very fast(like myself :rolleyes: ) besides what if someone orders a steak well done ? that will take a lot of time , right ? Im not saying people take extra 20 minutes after dessert with the coffee , but in my opinion a dining experience should be around 2 hours. But a favorite place like Ray`s has a policy , Im up for that too.

Edited by fero style (log)

Corduroy

General Manager

1122 Ninth Street, NW

Washington DC 20001

www.corduroydc.com

202 589 0699

I have no problem with Michael's policy. He goes to great lengths to ensure the guest is aware of this. They agree to it before the reservation is made. Wouldn't that be kind of (not in a legal way) binding?

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

Just so we know what we're talking about here--and I think people both in the business and in the business of dining can find this easy to understand.

Ray's has twelve tables.

The first times to be reserved are 7, 7:30 and 8 o'clock.

Once those times are filled and the tables committed I can not offer them for an unlimited period of time earlier in the eveningsince there is a prior claim which I must honor first.

I always offer an alternative time, which will be for later in the evening. The potential guest then has the option to choose the limited, earlier time, the later unlimited time, another day farther in the future or not to make a reservation at all.

It's all I can do until I learn how to bend the laws of time, space and physics to my (actually my guests') will.

I can not, however, dishonor my previous commitment to another guest however much the later-reserving guest would like me to.

Just so we know what we're talking about here--and I think people both in the business and in the business of dining can find this easy to understand.

Ray's has twelve tables.

Once those times are filled and the tables committed I can not offer them for an unlimited period of time earlier in the eveningsince there is a prior claim which I must honor first.

I always offer an alternative time, which will be for later in the evening.  The potential guest then has the option to choose the limited, earlier time, the later unlimited time, another day farther in the future or not to make a reservation at all.

It's all I can do until I learn how to bend the laws of time, space and physics to my (actually my guests') will.

I can not, however, dishonor my previous commitment to another guest however much the later-reserving guest would like me to.

Go on wit yo bad self!!!

Ray's has twelve tables.

I always offer an alternative time, which will be for later in the evening.  The potential guest then has the option to choose the limited, earlier time, the later unlimited time, another day farther in the future or not to make a reservation at all.

Thanks for taking the time to make this thoughtful reply, Michael. What you point out about the realities of operating a 12-table house makes a lot of sense.

We were surprised when we were told about the 90-minute limit when making a reservation the other week because it hasn't come up when we've enjoyed meals at your restaurant before (and enjoyed chatting with you and your friendly front-of-house staff).

When I posted my first message, I was mostly looking for some insight into the story behind this limit -- whether you had experienced any recent problems with people hanging out and taking up seats long after they had finished their meal, large parties that went on and on, etc.

Your food rocks, and we look forward to our upcoming visits and to many more in the future (for the record, I'm not the person from Fairfax who posted on Sietsema's chat -- anonymous complainers are a drag on us all).

The knife is mightier than the pen.

I think the key question left unanswered here is whether Mr. Landrum's 90 minute steaks are, in fact, 90 times better than the average minute steak. Expect to see a snippy letter to Mr. Sietsema should my investigation turn up any evidence to the contrary.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Even though I agree , I still think that any restaurant should have a backup plan just incase.  I mean these are people , not machines , everyone can not eat at the same time , some people eat very slow , some very fast(like myself :rolleyes: ) besides what if someone orders a steak well done ? that will take a lot of time , right ? Im not saying people take extra 20 minutes after dessert with the coffee , but in my opinion a dining experience should be around 2 hours. But a favorite place like Ray`s has a policy , Im up for that too.

The difference between a well-done steak and a medium rare steak (unless it's a Flintstones-style Brontosaurus Standing Rib Roast or it's being cooked over a single lit match) should not be long enough to significantly extend a dining experience to beyond the already adequate 90 minutes. The problem is that the extra twenty to thirty minutes the customers extend the dining experience is inevitably after dinner. If the restaurant screws up and takes too long to get the food to the table then they can't very well expect the customer to be rushed out. THAT would be wrong. Clearly this isn't the case at Ray's. This is a professional operation at every level. The food and service are perfectly paced to stay within their own preferences to maximize their seating capacity. Michael's thoughtful response is further proof that Ray's is operating at the highest level of professionalism. The problem remains that many customers are utterly oblivious to the business needs of the restaurant, and frankly don't care. Restaurants aren't "businesses" - they are places to gather, eat, drink and be merry, regardless of whether it's adversely effecting the business or the other customers. And unfortunately, the adverse effect on the business is two-fold. They'll lose the second seating customer that night and for all eternity as well. Just so folks could linger over dessert. :sad:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I've never had to tell someone that they have to leave after X minutes - house policy. However, my fabulous GM has a trick that he employs on these very rare occasions when the guests really kind of have to leave. In other words, "they be slow."

He, an immaculately groomed, tailored and dignified-looking gentleman in his forties, would slowly stroll past the table, and while he is still in their view, but not directly in front of them, would take a look at his watch. The look is impeccably timed to be neither a fleeting glance nor a eye-popping stare. It is a kind of look that you would give someone you are flirting with across the room...three seconds too long and then avert gaze with a smile, looking down.

Disclaimer: Does not work if guests at said table are completely loaded. It tends to work with those who are still somewhat conscious and alert.

Otherwise, waiters have a few tricks to make the lingerers feel like they ought to get going. Bring the check. Collect the check. Clear everything that can be cleared from the table. And from then on, it's a waiting (no pun intended) game of who would come to their senses sooner.

Edited by Nadya (log)

Resident Twizzlebum

This sounds like a tough situation ... lingering customers who go back on their word about relinquishing a table, small space, the desire to fairly accomodate those other parties who made reservations....

Perhaps the answer is to go first come first serve on a weekday basis -- then hire a hostess to take down names and then announce them with a microphone over a PA system outside the restaurant???? If that's too obnoxious, then what about those flashing/vibrating pagers?

Of course I'm only kidding.... but it would level the playing field and make all suffer equally because of the behavior of a few dingle-berries!

Edited by Pat MaToole (log)