• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chuck Steak

howard88

What USDA Grade was your chuck? Where did you purchase it?

Despite what individuals think, you just cannot take any cut of chuck(or any other cut like chuck) and cook it however long until it is tender. You need a good product to begin with. I suggest USDA Choice or better. I noticed that Walmart sells beef with additives also.-Dick

"Boneless Beef Chuck Pot Roast (Braise) USDA Choice" purchased at Wegman's. 3 1/2 pounds.

Thanks Smithy for the link to that other thread, that is indeed the book I am using.

It's going back in the oven shortly. I'll report back whether it improves!

Edited by mrsadm (log)

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

"Boneless Beef Chuck Pot Roast (Braise) USDA Choice" purchased at Wegman's.  3 1/2 pounds. 

For a 3 1/2 pound roast I would:

Remove exces fat

Brown it, season it

Cover the bottom of the pan with vegetables (celery/onion/carrot etc)

Add a little (1/2") liquid (broth ....

Set meat atop vegetables, place small piece of foil over meat

Bring liquid to a boil, cover pan, place in preheated 400 degree oven, immediately reduce temp setting to 250-275

Roast for about 3 hrs

Allow meat a 15 min rest before carving

Beef will get more more tender only up to a certain point, at which time the muscle fibre contracts and it and gets tough again. If you leave it longer it finally will fall apart, although it has pretty much has lost it's flavor by then.

SB

• 16 years later...

Staff note: This post was moved from the Secreto steak and other cuts of pork discussion, to maintain topic focus.

On 8/5/2023 at 10:52 PM, rotuts said:

the second candidate seems to be the blade roast

which has two muscles connected by a thick ligament 

between the to muscles running throughputs entire length

For what it's worth I was talking to my beef dude today and that would be oyster blade here, if I understood correctly, also chuck roast. He had a massive one where he extracts the tendon from the middle leaving the roast whole. Something like Superior Chuck, I forget exactly what he called it. I think he sells the tendon for pho.

But I get the thin steak from the other side of the blade that we call banjo steak. Doesn't taste as strong but is more tender. The real secret imo.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.