• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ray's the Steaks

cjsadler

I plan to try and have dinner in there this Saturday evening. I will ask Chef Michael if there is a day next week that would work for him. How does that work for you all?

There was some implication on the other thread that Sundays are good for a number of people (me included, although I didn't post at the time). Also, scheduling something more than a week in advance would be a big help - maybe shoot for week after next, assuming it's convenient for Chef Michael?

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

What makes you think its a joke?  I found it perfectly believable.  I guess you have to experience Ray's the Steaks in order to fully understand.

i've been there.

i thought that it was a joke because of the eggs. i thought chef michael wrote that post about eggs in jest, and i still think that. so why would he serve it to woodley girl? also how did he know you were from egullet? did you reserve with your egullet name?

btw, i'm pretty stupid.

If you look on the other "Ray's the Steaks" thread, you will see that Woodley Girl taked to Chef Michael when she made the reservation.

I plan to try and have dinner in there this Saturday evening.  I will ask Chef Michael if there is a day next week that would work for him.  How does that work for you all?

There was some implication on the other thread that Sundays are good for a number of people (me included, although I didn't post at the time). Also, scheduling something more than a week in advance would be a big help - maybe shoot for week after next, assuming it's convenient for Chef Michael?

Sunday nights work for me as does any other weeknight except for Tuesday or Thursday. Of course for Ray's I could change my schedule around...

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

Sunday works for me as well. But shouldn't this be on the other thread? Or can we have a merge please?

Are we taking him up on his $21 offer?

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Sunday works for me as well. But shouldn't this be on the other thread? Or can we have a merge please?

Are we taking him up on his $21 offer?

I will take the issue of the $21 prix fixe when I dine on Saturday. My thought was to ask him if he could do a twoo level operation one for $21 and a higher level with a different steak. And yes, this should be on the other thread.

What times are good for people: earlier or later? I'd like to be home in time for 6 feet under.

I'll do any time.

Don't know if I'd be able to drag Mrs JPW out though.

This pregnancy thing of requiring meat to be well done has definitely been a downer for her. (Me too, as I have hated watching good meat be abused on my grill).

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I'll do any time.

This pregnancy thing of requiring meat to be well done has definitely been a downer for her. (Me too, as I have hated watching good meat be abused on my grill).

Chef Michael has an "entrecote" steak on the menu which he describes as good for those who like their steaks well done. Many of his steaks he refuses to cook beyone medium rare, and rightfully so.

Give her the charred part and eat the inside.

Tried that one and got a steak knife inserted into my left nostril along with the appropriate threat. :raz:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I'll do any time.

Chef Michael has an "entrecote" steak on the menu which he describes as good for those who like their steaks well done. Many of his steaks he refuses to cook beyone medium rare, and rightfully so.

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!

Believe me, she can't wait to be eating red meat that is actually closer to red than to gray again!

Edited by JPW (log)

Joe W

Give her the charred part and eat the inside.

Tried that one and got a steak knife inserted into my left nostril along with the appropriate threat. :raz:

Why does this conjure up images of Jack Nicholsen and Roman Polanski?

I made a reservation today for a special date with my husband at Ray's on Friday. I read back through this thread and am really excited to experience this fabulous restaurant. Mike answered the phone, took the reservation, and asked if it was a special occasion. He seemed so accomodating and genuinely interested in making it a special night that I am really looking forward to the dinner! My husband is the big steak fan in our house, so I am sure that this is going to be a treat. I'll be sure to report back!

And - JPW - I wouldn't take the charred part either :biggrin:

Yes Mrs. P, Michael is under increasing pressure these days to keep that "neighborhood" feel despite the fact he's really morphed into a "destination" restaurant now--with people from all over calling weeks ahead of time to secure a table. I expect it will get a lot worse after July/August. I'm glad your first point of contact with the place, that phone call, was a good one--I think it is indicative of how Michael sees his place in the community--a community which begins with every diner and every phone call.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

• 3 weeks later...