• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ray's the Steaks

cjsadler

Pretty hardcore reservation system.  I just called and they read off they days they are booked solid, which covered the next 3 weeks, and then had me leave my number and they will call me back if they can accomodate me!

My wife called yesterday evening (Mon., 5/17) to ask about a reservation for two on Sunday, 5/30. They had tables available at 7:30 and 6:30; we took the 6:30. This will be our first visit and we're really looking forward to it, given the rave reviews here and on Chowhounds. :biggrin:

We expect a full report. Also, don't forget to ask for the shoestring potatoes.

Man, this is some good stuff! Finally made it to Ray's last night and feasted on NY Strip, ribeye, mashed potatoes, spinach- and took half of it home! Next time I go, I won't eat that day. Excellent- the only negative is the noise.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally made it back to Ray's Saturday night (and introduced 6 others to the phenomenom) and it was delicious again. I had a caesar salad and a couple others had the crab bisque and the onion soup and declared them good. Around the table, I had the ribeye with horseradish, there were a couple cowboys (28 oz bone-in ribeyes), a 20-oz strip, the strip with brandy mushroom sauce, the strip withblue cheese crumbles, and a filet. Everyone was quite pleased with their steak - one disappointment was the inability to get the chateaubriand - it's for parties of 2 and only 2 (no more, no less). We speculated that it had something to do with not wanting to hold up the steaks at the rest of the table, but we should've gotten Michael to explain. We were marveling at how perfectly cooked the steaks are - for such big slabs of beef, they're not overcooked on the outside, yet just warm and juicy on the inside. Besides the mashed potatoes and creamed spinach, we also ordered the grilled asparagus which were great.

After all that 3 desserts were ordered - 2 of the wonderful chocolate mousse - though a couple folks in the group wished it were a dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate, and a new addition, a root beer float.

We went through 3 bottles of red - very reasonable - $24/bottle for a 2000 french cabarnet whose name i'll need to ping one of my dinner companions for - Domaine something ;-)

I won't go so far to say it's the best steakhouse in the area.... but certainly it's the best value. You just get so much more here for the price compared to the other steakhouses..... and their steaks certainly compete with or are better than much of their competition.

I won't go so far to say it's the best steakhouse in the area.... but certainly it's the best value. You just get so much more here for the price compared to the other steakhouses..... and their steaks certainly compete with or are better than much of their competition.

I'll certainly go that far.

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

ditto... Only thing lacking is the decor, and even that is arguable as some would say it's part of the charm (a la Rao's and others...)

Hmmm, it's been while, maybe I'll hit ray's this week... I'm getting hungry and it's 8:55AM ;-)

"Compared to me... you're as helpless as a worm fighting an eagle"

BackwardsHat.com

ditto... Only thing lacking is the decor, and even that is arguable as some would say it's part of the charm (a la Rao's and others...)

The place could really use a little something to absorb the sound and at least a few decorations--the walls are absolutely bare. They could do both things at once by hanging a couple of tasteful carpets from the walls.

My wife and I were there Sunday a week ago for the first time and really enjoyed it. The service was slow, but the staff was so friendly that we really couldn't gripe. Besides, the wonderful rosemary foccacia helped us tolerate the wait. I had the rib eye with horseradish cream. The steak was sensational, but the horseradish tended to overwhelm it.

My wife had the hanger steak with bernaise sauce. The meat was fine, but she found the bernaise "sour"; too much lemon, IMO. She asked for some hollandaise instead and that was a little sour, too. Maybe that's because Michael wasn't working that night. Or at least I don't THINK he was! There was a fellow in kind of a cooking smock acting as maitre d' at the door--was that Michael? The only cook in back, AFAIK, was an African-American fellow. Is HE Michael? :unsure:

We both loved the mashed potatoes and spinach. They gave me a chocolate mousse gratis for my birthday and my wife had the key lime pie, which was to die for. We live in Gaithersburg, which was quite a hike by Metro, but we'll certainly be going back.

Edited by lscanlon (log)

Maybe that's because Michael wasn't working that night. Or at least I don't THINK he was! There was a fellow in kind of a cooking smock acting as maitre d' at the door--was that Michael? The only cook in back, AFAIK, was an African-American fellow. Is HE Michael? :unsure:

No

i just found out that they are closed mondays during the summer.

just thought you guys should know.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

The last time I went, I called and the recorded message said that they were booked solid for the forseeable future. I left my name and phone number and they called me back and gave me a reservation. So, don't believe the recording.

Edited to add: I'd still like to organize an eGullet event at Ray's.

Edited by mnebergall (log)

I won't go so far to say it's the best steakhouse in the area.... but certainly it's the best value.  You just get so much more here for the price compared to the other steakhouses..... and their steaks certainly compete with or are better than much of their competition.

I'll certainly go that far.

I'd go that far or farther.

I'm taking the liberty (with Michael's permission of course) of naming a dish on my new menu in his honor.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

The last time I went, I called and the recorded message said that they were booked solid for the forseeable future. I left my name and phone number and they called me back and gave me a reservation. So, don't believe the recording.

Edited to add: I'd still like to organize an eGullet event at Ray's.

Lets do it! We can discuss it Sunday evening.

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

• 3 weeks later...
The denizens of this forum will be pleased to hear that as of this morning, I'm never drinking again and have decided to become a vegetarian.

That good, huh?

Bill Russell

The denizens of this forum will be pleased to hear that as of this morning, I'm never drinking again and have decided to become a vegetarian... Until lunch time when I need to taste 236 different 1982 Bordeaux with Parker. Oh, and I forgot about dinner were I'll be dining in each of Jose Andres' restaurants twice before my flight out to the Laundry where I'll be hepling my boy Tommy K. test new pastry ideas. But first a double buffet at Cracker Barrel and the Golden Coral to set my day on track.

Edited to reflect the truth behind the man shrouded in mystery, hidden in a riddle thats wrapped in an enigma stuffed into a enchillada.

Once you go baller there's no going back. And remember rehab is for quitters.

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

I talked to Chef Michael the other evenging about doing an eGullet outing to Ray's the Steaks and he said that he has several very good wines in the $20-30 range. If we could 6-8 committed eGulleteers, and could give him a couple of days advance warning, we might even be able to get him to do something special for us (by special, I mean go out of his way to procure some special steaks for us).

Also, I would go long on styrofoam container futures, Chef Michael's portions are so prodigious that very few of his "clients" leave without one.

And Chef Michael, if you read this, my daugther thanks you for the "container" you sent home for her with me on Friday evening. It certainly painted a big smile on her face when she got done with lifeguarding on Saturday.

For you steak addicts, Chef Michael is the best pusher in town.

Spelling Edits

Edited by mnebergall (log)

My dad and I went here for father's day.

He got the 28 oz ribeye "cowboy cut" It seemed more like 40 ounces. It also came with grilled onions and garlic, as well as some horseradish sauce on the side. I tried it and it was delicious, a perfectly cooked medium rare. The outside was crunchy and the inside was juicy and delicious. It's better than any steak I have tasted from some of those fancy shmancy steak joints around town.

My steak was their ny strip and it was just as good.

We also got extra mashed potatoes (which were great, but nothing special) and creamed spinach to take home.

I really like this place.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

I talked to Chef Michael the other evenging about doing an eGullet outing to Ray's the Steaks and he said that he has several very good wines in the $20-30 range. If we could 6-8 committed eGulleteers, and could give him a couple of days advance warning, we might even be able to get him to do something special for us (by special, I mean go out of his way to procure some special steaks for us).

Also, I would go long on styrofoam container futures, Chef Michael's portions are so prodigious that very few of his "clients" leave without one.

And Chef Michael, if you read this, my daugther thanks you for the "container" you sent home for her with me on Friday evening. It certainly painted a big smile on her face when she got done with lifeguarding on Saturday.

For you steak addicts, Chef Michael is the best pusher in town.

Spelling Edits

My wife and I are so in, schedule permitting.

We also got extra mashed potatoes (which were great, but nothing special) and creamed spinach to take home

Yes, they handle even this act with distinction--you get fresh portions of the potatoes and spinach if you take some of your steak home--not whatever was left on those skillets.

And for those of you concerned somewhat about cost: the hangar is in the high teens and is his best cut, just call ahead and make sure he'll have it for you and as far as wine cost, they have the wonderful Castell del Remei Gotim Bru in that price range, it's a real quality-to-price ratio winner.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

We finally got our visas approved and were able to make the trek in from Prince William County on Saturday night. Let me echo everything that has already been said here: The steaks are delicious and the sides are worth scarfing down for second helpings. All five of us who went took some home; the portions are ample. And the service is worth mentioning too -- our preggo daughter, who's food tastes are getting even MORE particular, was steered to a cheaper entree than she had originally picked out when she said she wanted it "well."

The "house special" that I had (NY strip with the peppercorns (I can't spell "au poivre) with the brandy/mushroom cream and bleu cheese crumbles) is something I want again NOW.

Rick Azzarano

Is this shaping up to be prix fixe or...?

I am in! Do you have a specific date in mind?

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.