• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ray's the Steaks

cjsadler

While we're asking questions about first visits,

(and this may not even be a question that needs to be asked), would my party be treated as second class guests if no wine were ordered at the meal? My parents are coming next month and this is on my short list of places to go. We'd do wines by the glass if anything, and I couldn't guarantee that. Seems like the reputation steakhouse bills have for being skyhigh is half due in part to $$ bottles of wine. But from what I hear this is no ordinary steakhouse. Am I being paranoid? They're footing the bill so I'd prefer not worry about disappointment.

My wife and I drank regular old tap water the night we went and I didn't feel like a second-class citizen. But then again, i am usually pretty oblivious to slights like that.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

Weekends are harder than weekdays.  Also, I find that he can get you in on shorter notice if you can wait until about 8:30 to start your dinner.  Call between 12 and 2 and you will likely get to talk to the ruminant regent himself.

Good point; I hadden't thought of that aspect. I origonally meant more of a "I'm going to Rays for the first time, and I don't want to go alone...who's in?" sort of thing! Still, reservations would have to be made, so that's taken into account as well.

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

At dinner last night one of my guests threw a small fit.

He is a very active regular and has never experienced the steak tartar deviled eggs. He couldn't believe that I was fortunate enough to have them on my first visit.

Micheal better start chopping :wink:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

No one mentioned this place on my thread requesting restaurant recs in DC.... Maybe because I said DuPont/Woodley?...or maybe because I said casual?...I dunno...anyway...this sounds like such a terrific restaurant... We will have metro cards.... Would we be fish out of water at Rays? Is it a long hike?

Edited by TrishCT (log)

It could also be because Ray's is a tough reservation in a city that doesn't have too many tough reservations.

Ooh, I see now, too....so maybe it's going to be a posse-building for the 'weekend after next weekend', then. Still though, it WILL happen sometime!

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

My wife and I drank regular old tap water the night we went and I didn't feel like a second-class citizen.  But then again, i am usually pretty oblivious to slights like that.

It is because you did not identify yourself an egulleteer. Had I known who you were, I would have made sure to treat you second-class all the way!! Apologies for the oversight from all of at Ray's.

It is because you did not identify yourself an egulleteer.  Had I known who you were, I would have made sure to treat you second-class all the way!!  Apologies for the oversight from all of at Ray's.

This is why Michael was so nice to me the first few times I came in to Ray's; he thought I said I was moregela from emullet. :laugh:

It is because you did not identify yourself an egulleteer.  Had I known who you were, I would have made sure to treat you second-class all the way!!  Apologies for the oversight from all of at Ray's.

I'm not much for playing the "eGullet card".

I was going to intrduce myself on the way out, but you were on the phone (at least I believe it was you) and I didn't want to disturb you.

Thanks for the offer of second-class treatment though - I'll take you up on it next time I come in.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

Michael, based on the several occasions I have eaten at your place, I find it hard to believe that your staff treats anyone as second class :shock: . It can be busy at times so some may become impatient, but service has always been cordial and generous (even if the masses were clamoring at your entrance for tables!).

Michael, based on the several occasions I have eaten at your place, I find it hard to believe that your staff treats anyone as second class  :shock: . It can be busy at times so some may become impatient, but service has always been cordial and generous (even if the masses were clamoring at your entrance for tables!).

I think he meant to imply that second-class service would be an upgrade? :biggrin:

Edited by mnebergall (log)

Michael, based on the several occasions I have eaten at your place, I find it hard to believe that your staff treats anyone as second class  :shock: . It can be busy at times so some may become impatient, but service has always been cordial and generous (even if the masses were clamoring at your entrance for tables!).

Mostly correct. Second class treatment is something special that we reserve only for the members, readers and posters of this forum. That is why it is so important to identify yourselves.

Mostly correct.  Second class treatment is something special that we reserve only for the members, readers and posters of this forum.  That is why it is so important to identify yourselves.

That's been my mistake in the past :huh: - So, if I identify myself as an eGulleteer, will I be allowed to order the (off menu) deviled eggs? :biggrin:

Edited by Gary Tanigawa (log)

• 2 weeks later...
I've been searching for a website for Ray's and I can't find anything - does a website exist, and if so, do any of you have it?

Thanks!

No website that I know of. What info are you looking for? All you really need to know is he has GREAT steaks! Go and you will not be disappointed! :biggrin:

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

Great steaks but not just great steaks. Michael keeps adding little surprises when it comes to food and wine. The first great non-steak dish I reported on was the shrimp scampi, the second one which really impressed me was just the other week--the squid--both are expertly done (and it isn't easy to do squid well--it either has to be cooked very briefly or for a long time with little gray area in between. Maybe 10 people cook squid consistently well in the city.) Both have been on his menu in very reasonably priced half-portions--I think for $7.95--instead of entree-sized portions only. It would be nice if Michael had a website, and especially if his wine list was online, but between Tom Sietsema's coverage (and remember, Tom practically started the Ray's bandwagon) and this thread on eG we've pretty much got Michael covered. As it is he likely doesn't have enough time to check his e-mail since he's one of those chef/owners who just has to be in the kitchen.

What would be really nice is if Michael could attract some backing and support to help him spread his concept, vision and sense of community beyond the present location.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

What would be really nice is if Michael could attract some backing and support to help him spread his concept, vision and sense of community beyond the present location.

This may be an unpopular sentiment, but I'm not too sure I like this idea.

OK, I've only been to Ray's once, but it seems that what makes it so special is Michael's personal attention to what's being prepared, served, etc. If he opens up multiple locations, wouldn't that level of personal attention be sure to decrease?

Rick Azzarano

No website that I know of.  What info are you looking for?  All you really need to know is he has GREAT steaks!  Go and you will not be disappointed!  :biggrin:

I'm planning on going next Sunday, i think. I just wanted to check prices, wine list, menu, etc. I think seeing the website gives one an idea of the vision of the restauranteur and/or chef. However, reading this thread gives the same result :smile:

I'll probably be there next week, if I can make definite enough plans to make a reservation...and now I know to try a half-portion of squid. thanks..

Eat.Drink.DC.

...dining in the district...

Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.

- Orson Welles

I'm planning on going next Sunday, i think.  I just wanted to check prices, wine list, menu, etc.  I think seeing the website gives one an idea of the vision of the restauranteur and/or chef.  However, reading this thread gives the same result :smile:

I'll probably be there next week, if I can make definite enough plans to make a reservation...and now I know to try a half-portion of squid. thanks..

The steaks range from $18-$31. On wine, I would ask the chef to recommend something in your price range. He will be happy to give you some suggestions.

And the key lime pie is really really good.

I only order the $18.95 hangar, so I'm afraid I'm out of the prime rib loop.

razzar, interesting question this:

"but it seems that what makes it so special is Michael's personal attention to what's being prepared, served, etc. If he opens up multiple locations, wouldn't that level of personal attention be sure to decrease?"

and it's difficult to answer--each case is going to be unique. Why is Ducasse special? To throw out a local example, why is Jose Andres special? Why are the experiences at any restaurant of a chef/owner of multiple locations special? Ducasse and Daniel Boulud, to cite two examples, have given interviews where they've said the executive chefs under them do "them" as good or better than they do themselves. Jose has a few chefs under him that would easily be among the most talented chefs in any city they worked--were they to go out on their own. Not everyone has the energy or creativity or is cut out to lead and motivate this way, nor is it a mark against any chef who doesn't replace himself on the line. Each chef has to find what's best for him or her.

My take is this--the "experience" at Ray's is special because of a lot of factors--from the way your reservation is taken on the phone to how you are greeted at the door to the gentle pricing to whether there is sea salt on the focaccia that day to the way the hangar is aged to the interesting new wines which show up on the list to the relaxed atmosphere to the bare white walls (which I love) and on and on. It's special mainly because Michael cares--and he's not necessarily going to stop caring if he increased his number of covers per night. Is it charming that Michael is at the stove and comes out into the dining room? Undeniably, but it isn't necessarily special because Michael and only Michael does all or even most of these things--it's special because overall it "is" special. I think the "it's better when the chef does it" thing is a myth, it's something that I understand why people feel the way they do about, but certain people cooking in certain styles can mutlitask, and certain people as chef/owners have the ability to hire, retain, train and motivate a team to execute their system or systems concurrently. They know what they can do, what they can't do and what they shouldn't even try to do. Not everyone can do this or even wants to try to do this. A lot of it depends on the system--product, people, execution--and how much confidence and support Michael will have in his ability to put the right system in place and make the right move at the right time.

As long as a chef continues to care as deeply as say a Landrum does--he'll continue to hire good people, pay them well, train them well, and oversee them well even if he expands, moves into a larger space or opens a second location. But the downside to seeing the chef out on the floor is guests come to expect that and he or she lingers too long--or other guests are disappointed when the chef doesn't stop at their table or isn't in the house that night. None of that necessarily makes that hangar any better or worse. That hangar steak is either going to be prepared properly and taste great or it isn't regardless of whether Michael sent it out. And if he's out on the floor more often because that is what most diners perceive as him "giving personal attention" then he's not in the kitchen as much as he might want to be--or should be--and steaks might not be timed just right even if he doesn't expand one seat. So either way it's gonna be a balancing act.

This is pure speculation on my part as well--none of us could predict or project a drop in quality until we're presented with a change--and then see for ourselves. But the upside would be more diners could experience Ray's, more people could get hired and work for a good guy who pays his bills, who doesn't expand beyond his means, and one of the good little guys gets a little further ahead in a very tough business.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Here's a question from a potential visitor:

Does Ray's do prime rib? And if so, are there any options/different price points?

Thanks.

The answer to the first question is "no."

edited to add: But the bone in rib-eye steak is cut from a whole prime standing rib roast. I know, because I saw him trimming one up last week. Gorgeous looking picece of meat.

Edited by mnebergall (log)

But the downside to seeing the chef out on the floor is guests come to expect that and he or she lingers too long--or other guests are disappointed when the chef doesn't stop at their table or isn't in the house that night. 

At Ray's, the only nights the chef is not is the house is Mondays, when they are closed.

I'll admit when I made my earlier posting that I was a little torn.

Part of my original post was based on the thought of how such wonderful food can come from this itty-bitty little place; that is part of the charm. (I know one has nothing to do with the other.)

Mr. Klc, your answer allays some of my qualms. (I was considering Jose Andres when I wrote the earlier one and I know he has made a success of expansion). I hope Mr. Landrum gets richer than Croesus.

And if he ever does expand, can he come to Prince William County? (Please, please)

Rick Azzarano